[Religion and Revolution]: Bugs and Todos

Looks like it is proposed that post RaR 1.8 broke something :eek:

To be honest I'm not 100% convinced it is a RaR issue and not an exe issue, but with enough experimentation I think I will be able to find out. If it is a RaR issue, then it should be possible to pinpoint the specific revision, which breaks it. Maybe it is the size of a certain file just like the black yield icon issue.

@Commander Bello:

I currently don't have Release 1.8 anymore.

Could you check the XML settings for size of Gigantic Mapsize (height and width) ?
Maybe they have been changed / increased a bit. :think:

Both are just equal:
Code:
			<iGridWidth>110</iGridWidth>
			<iGridHeight>215</iGridHeight>

I was even playing with a FaireWeather version where worldsize Gigantic was bigger than in standard RaR.
My settings (version 1.8):
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_GIGANTIC: (150 + mc.distanceToEurope * 2,215)

Standard RaR (I am currently using unchanged settings):
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_GIGANTIC: (100 + mc.distanceToEurope * 2,215)

Did you guys change something regarding terrain graphics between RaR1.9 and RaR2.0?
(Assuming that unit/building graphics are surpressed when being in the "satellite mode")

Did you guys change something regarding terrain graphics between RaR1.9 and RaR2.0?

Possible, but I simply don't know anymore.

Our SVN log does not allow us to look back that far and the amount of revisions created would be incredible anyways.
(We can only look back 60 revisions in SVN log.)

This would be like searching a needle in a hay ball.

And after all, we are only talking about a graphical glitch that is absoultely not critical.
(Which does not mean that it would not be nice if somebody might get this solved.)

Possible, but I simply don't know anymore.

Our SVN log does not allow us to look back that far and the amount of revisions created would be incredible anyways.
(We can only look back 60 revisions in SVN log.)
I think that is a client limitation. I have access to the entire log. I can also search in the log. Svn blame tells me that the last time gigantic map size was modified in size was in revision 6, which was committed 2012-12-07.

This would be like searching a needle in a hay ball.
That's totally doable if you work systematically :p

I just went back to revision 6 where gigantic maps were introduced to svn and that one suffers from the issue as well. The mystery is what is behind the claim that it should work in RAR 1.8 :confused:

As I said here:
I really believe, the issue was first reported before Release 1.8 already.

Also to my knowledge this glitch only appears only on MapSize Gigantic.

So I always thought it was somehow related to some performance issue or maybe as you said a limitation of the exe or engine.
Would be strange if it was some graphic issue (related to one graphic file), since the glitch does not show on smaller MapSizes.

However:

We switched SVN space at some point - if I remember correctly, it was after Release 1.2 (or 1.3) had been fully developed,
definitely much much earlier than Release 1.8 though.

We had to do it because we had gone above the free 1GB repository size and did not want to pay for modding.
There had already been more than a full year of heavy development with a team much bigger than what we had in the last years.

So revision 6 does not mean, it is one of our earliest revisions.
There have been several hundreds of revisions before that. (And log / history for all of those is now lost.)

So I always thought it was somehow related to some performance issue or maybe as you said a limitation of the exe or engine.
Would be strange if it was some graphic issue (related to one graphic file), since the glitch does not show on smaller MapSizes.

The only thing I know that this glitch has been there all the time I've been playing R&R.

What I find strange is that Commander Bello's 1.8 edition does not display the glitch. I still have the 1.8 version available, so I tried it out, but the glitch was there. Perhaps Bello changed something himself that fixed it?:dunno:

Perhaps Bello changed something himself that fixed it?:dunno:

What is much more likely to me:

1) He did not scroll out far enough
or
2) He did not play MapSize Gigantic

His Screenshot with Release 1.8 looks like that compared to the Screenshot of Release 2.1.
(Simply look at the size of the rectangles in the lower left maps / the globe.)

But as I said, this is only a small graphical glitch that is not critical at all.
If somebody might find out a solution, that would be great.
But otherwise we don't need to go crazy about this. :)

Edit:

I think I already said several times, that MapSize Gigantic is really pushing hard the limits of what this game / the engine can take.
We knew about that and still decided that we wanted to have this enormous MapSize.

In my tests, I had experienced much much more glitches when further increasing the MapSize (to figure out how far we should go).
All of those glitches occured without any other changes than the size of the Map, so no graphics or logic was changed during those tests.

Some of them were similar to the one, we are currently talking about.
Some of them were much heavier.

This glitch simply being related to MapSize and nothing else, is absolutely logical to me.
(Especially since on lower MapSizes this glitch does not occur.)

But if somebody wants to spend time further analyzing the issue, I surely don't mind. :thumbsup:
And of course I would be happy to see a solution to this.

Honestly, guys.... :rolleyes:
RaR1.8:

Spoiler :

RaR2.1:

Spoiler :

Another thing, BTW. I see in your screenshot that there are four different parts of the map that you have explored. They are not connected to one another, so it should be impossible for you to know three of them.

Do you also have the bug, where you receive the wrong maps when you trade them with other Europeans?

I have the same issue (look at the world map on the lower left):

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot4287.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot4287.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 55
Since explored area is based on teams rather than players, having non-connected explored areas like that is normal if you have more than one player in a team. However I have never seen that in a game with only one player in each team and I have no idea how that could happen.

Well, it happens about every game, and what is telling is that I don't get the map of the players I requested from in the first place. If there would be confusion whether or not two players are in the same team, I would expect to have received the world maps of both nations.

So it seems that the maps are just swapped, or perhaps numbered wrong, so that every player sells the map that actually belongs to the next player?

I have never seen such a bug myself either.
(However, I haven't been playing a longer game with the mod for a very long time.)

What is also confusing me, is that such a bug should have been noticed and reported before.
Unless of course it was just introduced in Release 2.1.

I have no idea how that could have happened though. :dunno:
Nothing we implemented since Release 1.7 - where we introduced "The Church" was in any way related to order of Players.

Theoretically I could imagine that "Randomized Start Location of European" could cause that.
But that I already implemented for TAC and thus exists several years already.

Are we talking about clean Release 2.1 here ?

Edit:

Are you playing a Map with fixed Players / Starting Locations ? (Maybe as Custom Scenario ?)
Because I vaguely remember something about swapped players in such a context. (That was a discussion about Civ4:BtS though.)

Another thing, BTW. I see in your screenshot that there are four different parts of the map that you have explored. They are not connected to one another, so it should be impossible for you to know three of them.

Do you also have the bug, where you receive the wrong maps when you trade them with other Europeans?

I have the same issue (look at the world map on the lower left):
Yes, I have it all the time - when playing under the below mentioned conditions:

Are we talking about clean Release 2.1 here ?
As far as my games are concerned, I face the "additional map sectors" issue when playing with eastern and western starts allowed, which is why I didn't report this issue.
Therefore, it might be a side effect of the "shuffle starting positions" feature (which with just eastern starts isn't visible) but I haven't investigated any further.

Actually, in the game from which I have taken the screenshot I faced it for the first time that more than one additional starting position (and the follow-on exploration) was displayed. Typically, I only get one additional "sector" displayed.

Well, I had started a short game today and tested a bit by using Worldbuilder to meet the other Europeans (putting a unit next to them).

I did that with current SVN version.
The Map I used was "Two Continents" (MapSize Gigantic, Random Players), which is my favorite one.

I traded maps with 4 other Europeans and everything was fine.
(I did get their map and for sure not the maps of other Europeans.)

So I couldn't reproduce the bug you and agnat report. :dunno:

What is also confusing me, is that such a bug should have been noticed and reported before.
Unless of course it was just introduced in Release 2.1.

I have no idea how that could have happened though. :dunno:
Nothing we implemented since Release 1.7 - where we introduced "The Church" was in any way related to order of Players.

It popped up recently, I think around 2.0 (though it may have been longer). The reason I didn't report it is because I first want to make sure a bug appears in clean R&R as well before I report it, because I always play my modmod. But now that Bello has it as well (as he says, in clean 2.1) I think it's something of the main mod.

Theoretically I could imagine that "Randomized Start Location of European" could cause that.
But that I already implemented for TAC and thus exists several years already.

It certainly wasn't occurring back then.

Edit:

Are you playing a Map with fixed Players / Starting Locations ? (Maybe as Custom Scenario ?)
Because I vaguely remember something about swapped players in such a context. (That was a discussion about Civ4:BtS though.)

No, I always play Custom Game with the Faireweather mapscript.

I've started a game in clean R&R2.1 to try to reproduce the bug, but with no luck so far.

However, I did reproduce another bug that has been appearing recently. Every game, in the first ten turns I get the "soldiers and their wives celebrate the end of war" event, and receive a Free Colonist. See my screenshot.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot4307.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot4307.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 117
I tried it as well. But the problem is that it doesn't happen always. Especially early in the game, things seem to work fine.

Well, the only thing that might help would be a savegame to provoke it.
And that savegame should be clean Release 2.1.

However I wouldn't be analyzing or fixing this anymore.
Maybe some other modder might though.

However, I did reproduce another bug that has been appearing recently. Every game, in the first ten turns I get the "soldiers and their wives celebrate the end of war" event, and receive a Free Colonist. See my screenshot.

Why is that a bug ? :confused:
(Maybe the balancing of this event could be changed so it is more rare or later in the game. But I don't see any bug.)

You simply get an event every game.
You also get the "First Colony" event every game.

Why is that a bug ? :confused:

You simply get an event every game.
You also get the "First Colony" event every game.

Because it says they celebrate the end of a war, while there hasn't been any war. Previously, this event happened sometimes at the end of an actual war later in the game, but now, it always pops up within the first few turns after founding your first colony.

Not that the Free Colonist isn't welcome, but it seems that this event was added for another purpose than this.

Top Bottom