[Religion and Revolution]: Bugs and Todos

Hi Ray - Well I am still on a Gigantic map and marathon speed as Adriaen van der Donck so it takes quite a while for things to happen, but it is now 1698 and as far as I can tell I haven't had a single tax increase - is this correct??

Thanks,

Tax increase mainly depend on the amount of goods traded (in Europe or Africa or Port Royal or by Custom Houses).
So if you don't trade (enough) goods you won't have tax increases.

Trading with Natives or using Domestic Markets will not lead to tax increases.

It is not simply a matter of time.
(It never was in Vanilla either.)

Since I don't know you style of playing, I can't say if your game behaviour is "correct".

In my last game (about 1 month ago) everything was working fine considering tax increases.
(I usually build up gigantic Empires with huge fleets of ships travelling between my colonies and Europe.)

And of course in Marathon, you need more goods traded for tax increases.
(Everything is slower in Marathon.)

I don't Play Marathon myself.
But other peopel told me, that they do and nobody reported bugs about tax mechanism.

So I am totally convinced that tax mechanism is working as supposed in Release 2.4.
Maybe it is just nor working as you expect it to. :dunno:

Unless of course you messed with XML balancing related to tax mechanism.
But that would then not be an issue of the mod.

Haven’t messed with the XML other than to disable building railways.

I am trading lots with Europe – about 2 galleons/turn. It could be that I am just trading raw materials (sugars, hides, cotton, etc.) with Europe not manufactured goods. I think I read somewhere that trading lots of manufactured goods like cigars triggered tax increases faster than raw materials, but not sure if this is correct.

Early on I started building markets and taverns then upgrading them as soon as I could so that I had strong internal trade with cigars and stuff so I don’t have to trade them with Europe.

Just thought there should have been a tax increase by now

Haven’t messed with the XML other than to disable building railways.

I am trading lots with Europe – about 2 galleons/turn. It could be that I am just trading raw materials (sugars, hides, cotton, etc.) with Europe not manufactured goods. I think I read somewhere that trading lots of manufactured goods like cigars triggered tax increases faster than raw materials, but not sure if this is correct.

One of the fixes I made in Taxes and navigation that got merged into the latest version corrected the issue where trading loads of low quality goods triggered far more tax increases than trading the same value of high-value items. Tax scores are now dependent more on the "total value" of goods being traded than just the number of units of good being sold. So, yes the behavior you observe is on purpose. :)

Also buying stuff triggers tax increases at half the rate of exporting to Europe (the king incentivizes you for buying from his economy)

Hi Ray - Well I am still on a Gigantic map and marathon speed as Adriaen van der Donck so it takes quite a while for things to happen, but it is now 1698 and as far as I can tell I haven't had a single tax increase - is this correct??

Thanks,

That is definitely odd. I've played games on the same settings where tax triggers happen well in the 16th century. 1698 seems way too long even considering the randomness associated with tax increases (unless you're seeing a very rare case). I'll try to take a look at the code sometime to see if there's a merge issue when I put this into R&R (but from what i know it's been in R&R for a couple of releases atleast and no one had this issue)

Just thought there should have been a tax increase by now

I rechecked the code, and there doesn't seem to be any merge issue from what I'd originally done...
Anyway, if you could help me debug...you could either post an attachment of your save or if you could just do the following:

1. Go to the following file:
    \Mods\Religion_and_Revolution\Assets\Python\Screens\CvEuropeScreen.py
  2. Replace line 913's content with:
    Code:
    if true:# gc.getGame().isOption(GameOptionTypes.GAMEOPTION_NO_MORE_VARIABLES_HIDDEN):
  3. Then go to your Europe screen (F2)
  4. On the top right bar, hover over the tax score and either capture a screenshot or tell me what the bar says.

So previously we used a "total yields traded" value that would get compared with a "threshold" and if it exceeds the threshold we'd have a chance of firing the tax increase. In the current system, where it is based on value normalized to 10, items sold at price of 5 will contribute only to half of "total yields score" (instead of "total yields traded") while items sold at price of 20 will do it at twice the rate. It is likely that if your value of trading is low, then it takes longer for the tax increase chance to fire. Anyway, the popup you should see on the screenshot should give more info.

P.S
I simulated a quick game and got my first tax increase at 1595. (no idea about marathon speed balancing as I never tinkered with that aspect)
A second game i played at gigantic had 3 tax rises by 1620. I was trading pretty heavily (coats, silver + importing a lot of tools). So I'm 99% sure you just weren't trading enough earlier. Of course if you have good relations with the king (by paying him money and donating to the pope) you will have even less chances of triggering increases.

Found a new bug (maybe just a map issue)..but starting a custom game with the "RAR Americas Gigantic\Huge" is causing a CTD. Of course there are other maps like "western hemisphere", "colonial america" that still work.

Well, actually I have 2 sets of RAR Americas showing up in Scenarios, of which the bottom set is causing an issue (the top one works fine). If someone else can verify it would be good. Maybe it's just my system.

Try restarting. When odd issues like this shows up, there is a chance it could be that the file is stored in the disk cache and the memory flipped a bit. Restarting forces the system to read from the disk again. Don't laugh, it actually happens and one of the reasons why frequent restarts is recommended.

It could also be some sort of out of memory issue. 32 bit exe files are still restricted even on 64 bit systems. Maybe your GPU forces the game to use more memory than some other GPUs. Not sure if we can do anything about that.

Try to start with a debugger attached to see where it crashes. It might provide a clue. The game use new plenty of time and in an out of memory case, a NULL pointer is returned, but we never check for that. Failing to allocate new memory will cause CTDs.

I have 2 sets of RAR Americas showing up in Scenarios, of which the bottom set is causing an issue (the top one works fine).

Well, I am not sure what you are talking about, because there actually are 2 versions of each of those maps contained in the mod.
(The "random" version and the "not random / fixed" version.)

However, I of course do not know, if you have the clean / adjusted versions from our last Release 2.4 or some other older version, which might not be compatible anymore.

If someone else can verify it would be good. Maybe it's just my system.

Like Schmiddie I checked those maps in our Release 2.4.

They all work fine. :)
(Random versions as well as fixed versions.)

Try restarting.
It could also be some sort of out of memory issue.
Failing to allocate new memory will cause CTDs.

Possible as well.
But of course that is not a bug of the mod (or the map).

Map Generation (which includes loading a map) might indeed occasionaly run out of memory.
Trying to generate the same map another time then usually works.

On my old (weaker) system I sometimes also had such "random CTDs" during Map Generation.
Hasn't happened to me anymore with my current system though.

Like Schmiddie I checked those maps in our Release 2.4.

They all work fine. :)
(Random versions as well as fixed versions.)

Ok then. It's likely that when I pulled, somehow two sets (two sets of Random+fixed) are present and i suppose the one that isn't working is a previous version's cached copy or something and is pointing to a file that doesn't exist. I don't have a debugger (that works). Anyway, as long as the release isn't having the issue it's all good. :)

The Continental Guards have a too large selection radius almost 3x3 fields wide what makes selecting adjacent units difficult if not impossible directly above.
How can you fix that?

Hm, I have tested them and all works fine = means a selection radius of 1x1 if you click directly on the unit.

If you want to change that you need to use blender and need to change it there.

@Schmiddie: I'm using release 2.4 with only original files. I've reinstalled the mod just to make sure as I'm also currently modifying the mod. The guards are still the only unit with that large selection radius.
I had once reduced their numbers and checked each model's radius. All of them had the same huge one. Strange that they seem fine to you if you really use the same version like me.

I was afraid you would mention some kind of complicated 3D tool to fix that. It's like sitting me in a space shuttle to fly to the moon. Let's see...

Yes, but if you want to change the selection radius you need to be familiar with blender since this is an issue (or would be an issue) that needs to be changed in the unit itself - nothing you can change by xml-changes.

Hm...strange that you are the first one who has this problem. ;)

I already gave up trying to install that damn nif plugin for Blender. We all have our preferences and priorities, don't we? :D
Anyway, you can see on the screenshot below how far you can already select the guards by the cursor position. Even if the context shows a different unit, you will select the guards as long as their flag is highlighted.
http://picload.org/image/pcplapg/rar-cg.jpg

If it doesn't make too much work, send me your guard art files to check out if something got corrupt here. The three model folders should be less than 1 MB packed.
It can't be that only this single unit doesn't work properly among the many others! Luckily, it's only a rare unit if all fails for me here.

Btw, the alpha mask of the resource_icons_64ea.dds file is pretty messed up showing double edges:
http://picload.org/image/pcplood/rar-am1.jpg

I've already fixed that myself here, but I hesitate providing the file as I haven't tested all the highlighted resources yet. I still possibly do some corrections, but changing unit data is more fun at moment.
http://picload.org/image/pcplooo/rar-am2.jpg

Btw, the alpha mask of the resource_icons_64ea.dds file is pretty messed up showing double edges:

No, I assume that was intended as it has been done. Please check your changes in the city screen. If you have changed that I assume your icons look horrible within the city screen. The player never or very rarely zooms so much that you recognize it on the map - but in the city screen you will see the outcome every round. - Please note that you are the first one who is bothered by that ;) that may give you a hint if that is recognized on the map.

I found an issue with the automated trasportation of goods.
When you set up the auto transportation you can't keep more than 255 of any good.

My guess is that the field is only keeping track of 8 bits.

Doesn't completely break the game, but is very annoying and makes the automation not as useful as it might be.

"Coconut tree" tile resources on jungle tiles don't give the +3 food bonus they're supposed to give. I put a Free Colonist to farm the tile (with the jungle still standing) and he only produces +2 food. An expert farmer produces +5 food. Is there an improvement I have to build? The colopedia article says I should just keep the jungle standing.

Top Bottom