1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Religion and Revolution]: Feedback and Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Religion and Revolution' started by raystuttgart, Jul 13, 2012.

1. adrian80

adrian80 Chieftain

Ok, thanks for the info. Makes sense. :)

2. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

Also keep in mind that selling with Custom House generates much less FoundingFather-Points and a little bit less money than selling with ships in Europe.

There are pros and cons for using it.

It is simply not meant to totally replace normal trade.

Like all features in our mod:
    Consider wisely what you do. :)

3. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

What are the specs of your computer Ray? I am trying to make a Gigantic map, and my computer can't handle the load.

4. raystuttgart

I created Amerayca on my business laptop, which is a performance monster.
    (Because it was simply much faster to create that map on that machine.)

But on my private computer I am ususally developing and testing on, I am also able to create or change a Gigantic Map.
    (It is more than 3 years old.)

What does the Windows Performance Index of your machine say ?

5. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

I'm using a public computer to access the Internet, so I would have to get that score to you tomorrow if I am able, but I changed the graphics card recently and the current score is only one point away from the max I believe. I think it is 6 out of 7 something if I remember correctly. I loaded a map which I wanted to start working with and it took about 10 seconds every time I changed a plot to a coast or added a mountain. Deleting or adding forests went much quicker. Currently it is too time consuming to work on.

6. Shoobs

Shoobs Prince

I am concerbed about givig Russia the abilty to skyrocket both growth and production throigh its faction trait. I mean seriously?? FREE industry per city??. All other factions need a town hall first before any industry is even available.

7. Toys®Us

Toys®Us Warlord

One of my favorite games for now. It will be on my hard drive for a very long time, maybe forever.
    Very clean, beautiful to look at, a lot of details, relaxing, challenging, not a single CTD... what can I say?
    How to thank you?
    And it's free.... wow! :crazyeye:

A solid piece of work.

8. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Looking in the Civ4UnitInfos xml file I found the following line:
    <iImmigrationWeightDecay>0</iImmigrationWeightDecay>

I noticed that the value is set to zero on all of the units, effectively making this to be unused code (right?). What exactly is the value set to do? If I give it a value of 1, does that mean that the Immigrationweight (800 for a Free Colonist) will reduce by 1 every turn?

Also, if this is the case, shouldn't there be an <iImmigrationWeightMinimum>?
    If I am correct in that the decay value can be used to slowly decrease the likelihood of a certain unit immigrating, is it possible to slowly increase the likelihood(<iImmigrationWeightGrowth>)? and give it a maximum?

9. Robert Surcouf

Robert Surcouf Civ4Col Modder

If I'm correct, Immigration weight will be reduced by 1 percent and not one unit...
    And this will happen each time you choose an immigrant of one sort. ;)
    So if the Free colonist's weight is 800, il will be 792 if you set Decay to 1, once you've chosen a free colonist.
    Check this:
    Spoiler :
    Code:
    UnitTypes CvPlayer::pickBestImmigrant()
    {
    	std::vector<int> aiWeights(GC.getNumUnitInfos(), 0);
    	for (int iUnitClass = 0; iUnitClass < GC.getNumUnitClassInfos(); ++iUnitClass)
    	{
    		UnitTypes eUnit = (UnitTypes) GC.getCivilizationInfo(getCivilizationType()).getCivilizationUnits(iUnitClass);
    		if (NO_UNIT != eUnit)
    		{
    			[B]int iWeight = GC.getUnitInfo(eUnit).getImmigrationWeight();[/B]
    			for (int i = 0; i < getUnitClassImmigrated((UnitClassTypes) iUnitClass); ++i)
    			{
    				[B]iWeight *= std::max(0, 100 - GC.getUnitInfo(eUnit).getImmigrationWeightDecay());[/B]
    				iWeight /= 100;
    			}

aiWeights[eUnit] += iWeight;
    		}
    	}

UnitTypes eBestUnit = (UnitTypes) GC.getGameINLINE().getSorenRand().pickValue(aiWeights, "pick immigrant");
    	FAssert(NO_UNIT != eBestUnit);
    	if (eBestUnit != NO_UNIT)
    	{
    		changeUnitClassImmigrated((UnitClassTypes) GC.getUnitInfo(eBestUnit).getUnitClassType(), 1);
    	}

return eBestUnit;
    }

10. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Interesting. thank you. :thumbsup:

11. avdpos

avdpos Chieftain

How does learning by doing work?

Is it a system there you every turn have 1% chance to be expert?
    or is it a system where you turn one have 1% chance, turn two 2% chance ando so on..
    or is it a system where you get 1 experience turn one, one more turn two and at turn 100 you become expert?
    OR is it any other way?

12. raystuttgart

It is in another way. :)

The formulas are a bit more complicated.
    (I don't like to create features by using math that is too simple, because it usually does not feel realistic.)

Just in general:

There are thresholds (for the feature to work at all, considering rounds in a profession for example),
    base values (for chances) and values that increase every round (for chances).

So generally:

• A colonist needs to have worked in a profession for a certain time, before the feature works at all.
    • After that, there is a tiny chances as a base value.
    • This chance will however increase every round.

Basically it is random with threshold conditions and increasing chances.
    Please don't ask me for the exact formulas, because I don't have my workspace set up any more.

By the way:

Learning by Doing was the first real feature I created for CivCol,
    long time ago, when I was still a member of TAC.
    (The stuff I did before was only small bugfixes and corrections.)

13. avdpos

avdpos Chieftain

thanks ray!

nice to know a little more about ir.
    And my exampel was as you understand a simplification..

Don´t need to know it exact, just like to know the basics.

14. Lehnardtsson

Lehnardtsson Chieftain

Question :

I am looking for realistic located natives + historical start for european and less european competition...
    what should I do?
    I do like the mod but find odd to have cherokees in newfoundland....

15. raystuttgart

You could create a Scenario-Map.
    (You can use an existing map as base for that or create a new one.)

Simply place all Natives and Europeans in a way you like.
    But I suggest to leave Bonus-Ressources and Goody-Huts to be placed randomly.

16. bookaneer

bookaneer Chieftain

First to say: I love this mod, it brought me back to play col2 (well, first was the famous TAC, but then I switched to R&R cause of it's greater variety concerning building up an economy)
    So I am very thankful to the mod team of R&R. Plz keep up the good work :)

For my personal game I set up some alterations:
    much more turns on base of regular game speed concerning production / storage / growth, founding fathers speed slowed down similar to marathon speed.
    1 turn is one month (gives me a better feeling of identify myself ingame with my settlers and their hard work, I like to give them all individuell names) For me it seems more "realistic" to build up some buildings in several month rather than in a couple of years, although you can argue, that "the buildings" ingame should be ment to represent only the progress of city evolution, not specific single installations)

(I call this game speed "Insane", cause I have much, much time to set up my colonial dream. It might not be very balanced but it makes fun to me ;)

I integrated the 2plots-city-radius mod (thanks to CommanderBello, who made this compatible to R&R :)

Concerning the storage system of R&R:
    I like the idea to have a global storage for all goods rather than the original system of having the same space for every single product. So that is well done :)

However I always got in trouble with space as city production grows up. (I like the game, but I'm obviously not a "good" or very organized player ;)

For my personal use I have increased availabe space for each building individually (I don't like to use the multiplier for storage like it is set up in the original game speeds, for my personal speed setting I use the states of normal game speep)

maybe this would be an idea for the base game of R&R:

Every Production Building has some little storage room by its own:
    (lets say 50 base, than 100, 200, growing with the buildings level) A little storage room in a production center makes sense to me.

What about to have more levels to build of the "Lagerhaus" with more storage room?
    (ATM I build waggons to store goods)

Concerning the "Taverne": (don't know how its called in the english version: Pub?)
    Why should this one give 1 "free" wine and beer?
    It just feels "wrong" to get those freebies out of nothing, but I understand that it's a designers decision.

For my personal feeling it would make more sense, to have consumed beer / wine etc in the pub by the customers. What about colonists inside the pub consuming goods for generating, let's say additional freedom bells or any other fitable "product" ?

That leads me to another suggestion:
    Every "building" in the city screen should be a working place for the colonists:

Printing press: make Paper / Pamphlets (can be used by "indepandance agitators" for additional bells OR by "royalists" which will maybe influence the kings attidude to the colonists)
    Have several upgrades of the "pup"
    saloon: Wine/Beer consuming
    smoking chamber club: Upper class politicians use cigars and pamphlets /papers to influence the colonial politics (freedom bells OR loyalist tendancies)

What about a concept of splitting up the funtionality of "freedom bells" ?
    I know, it's already discussed elsewhere, but I have thougth about that on my own
    (It's funny: A lot of ideas someone might feel as his "genuine own thoughts" are already shared by others, if you look araound in human communities)

Let's have "freedom bells" for Founding Fathers and Way to independance
    Lets' have "city management/ productivity points" for the growing economic state of a colony.

What about (more) buidlings which "improve" the efficency of working tiles in the city screen)
    (like the ranch is doing now for breeding horses/cattle/sheep)
    Maybe its possible to have workers in this building who generates this working tile bonusses at the cost of consuming specific products ?

What about higher level buildings need consumer products to function:
    For Example: Make Whale Oil a strategic ressource needed in higher level buldings of tools / weapons / carpenter for the benefit of an higher production effeciency ?

ATM, most products are good for selling, but the only ressource a city really needs is food. Bigger / higher leveled cities should have need for more base resources rather than food. Maybe availabe resources are linked to city population growth and/or production efficency?

Founding fathers: What about make them "special units" (like its done in the
    Werewolves mod)

(Technical) Evolution: ATM this is totally missing:
    for Example the weapons: in real life history since invention of gun powder, muskets/rifles/guns are dramtically improved through the decades/centuries.
    Or at least you should can improve your troops by additional components
    (here you may use higher developped products for outfit your units, something like the leather coats for the "werewolve fighters" in Werewolves)

Have to stop for now.
    Anyway, keep up the good work, hoping for an upgraded 1.4 Version. :thumbsup:
    Maybe some of "my" ideas are worth thinking about.

17. raystuttgart

For the first time, I am really playing Religion and Revolution (ray's Edition) now and I am having lots of fun !!! :D

This is extremely close to my perfect game.
    I am in "micromanagement heaven".

The new features I have added recently also fit perfectly into my style of playing.
    ("Goody Huts on Water", "Trains and Railroads", ...)

I have also added (Full-)2-Plot-City-Radius and even though I was not sure if I would like it, I must say I do. :)
    (It really allows a better gameplay on mapsize "Gigantic".)

It was absolutely worth all the years of modding effort. :thumbsup:

18. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

It's Always a Good thing when a Modder Loves his own work. Congratulations Ray. :)

JosEPh

19. fodazd

fodazd Chieftain

I have played this mod for a while now, and it is definitely one of the best games I played so far. The combination of "Simulation" and "tactical challenge" is really something I enjoy a lot. :)

However, I have some minor things that I find a little annoying:

1.:
    When I play a Colonization-like game, I try to picture myself as someone who on the outside keeps a good relationship with the king, while plotting the revolution in secret. Currently, I am having some problems with that... I always fulfilled the kings demands (exept for one time when he wanted me to go to war with a then superior AI), and because of that my taxrate is at the maximum of 30%... But the king still hates me pathologically, because I seem to procuce too much bells in his opinion. My relationship is something linke the following:
    -> +1 for peace
    -> +6 for past events
    -> -50 for bells
    In my opinion, the -50 for bells overshadows the other relationship modifiers too much. When I got an Event that thretened me with a relationship penalty with the king (-2 if I recall correctly), my thoughts were like "Yeah, he hates me anyway for -50, who cares about -2?". The strong negative effect of bells on the relationship with the king makes the tactical decision of "keeping the king happy" vs. "serving your own interests" a bit pointless.

I see why producing bells should annoy the king, but I would restrict it to the -1 to maybe -8 range, to keep it balanced with the other modifiers.

2.:
    The minimum distance of 2 tiles between cities is another thing that bothers me, mainly because I lose valuable resources because of it... If I could place all of my cities myself, this would be less of an issue, but now I come to the phase where I capture cities from the AI, and one rather large AI-city is exactly 3 tiles away from one of my cities, with a valuable resource tile exactly between them... And because cities can only work the tiles directly adjacent to them in Col, I can never use that resource unless I destroy either the enemy city or my own city, both with some expensive buildings already there. To me, this seems both dissatisfying from a strategic perspective and illogical from a simulation perspective.

If I could just slip a new city in between them, I could use the resource and still keep both cities... Of course, another possibility would be to use the 2-Plot-City-Radius, which I have never tried before for a Colonization-like game. I can't really say which solution I would prefer.

3.:
    I haven't figured out how to turn the "Goods sold at market"-messages off. Don't get me wront, the first message of this kind was really awesome! I love the domestic market feature! ...But now I am at 7 cities, selling goods every round, and my messages are getting flooded by them. I already missed an important message because I was not really paying attention to the message screen anymore on two occasions now, so I think there should be an option to turn thouse off when the player already has some cities.

...If there already is such an option and I just haven't found it, I'm sorry. ^^'

So, these are my issues with this great game. I post them here because I would love if it would become even greater. ;)

20. unreal_one

unreal_one Chieftain

I have only been playing this mod for a week or two now, but here goes. I love the mod and most of its changes, but for my particular very peaceful playstyle, the new natives don't work for me. I play on the easiest mode so I can set up my huge trade network in peace, which I know isn't really "the game", but it's how I like to play it.

How would I go about removing every change I've noticed in the natives? The things from the base game that I prefer are: On the easiest mode, natives shouldn't get angry at you for being a peaceful neighbor for a long time. They shouldn't go past five villages on the outskirts to scalp one of the fishers in your main city.They should leave the treasures that they just gave you alone. Your first Jesuit missionary should have a 100% chance with natives who like you. The constant spam of offering to sell me stuff that I could just go to the villages and buy if I wanted it gets annoying, too.

I'm not saying that these changes should be implemented in the actual mod that people download. I'm just wondering how I could change the files in my download of it to remove these features.

I looked through the xml files in notepad++ and couldn't find the mechanisms that allow these behaviors, but my knowledge of modding is pretty much limited to setting up some events in Crusader Kings 2. If there isn't a moderately easy way to doing this, I probably can't implement it.

Is this the correct place to be posting this? I didn't see a thread that seemed more appropriate, and the Welcome! thread said to not create a new thread.