[Religion and Revolution]: Feedback and Questions

I love the mod and most of its changes, ...

That is nice to hear. :)

... but for my particular very peaceful playstyle, the new natives don't work for me.

We are currently discussing about publishing another release.
Things about Natives would be a bit different then again.

I'm just wondering how I could change the files in my download of it to remove these features.

To remove these features you would need to be a programmer and an experienced Civ4Col-Modder.

Without being able to program C++ and compile a DLL you can't remove those features.
And even if you could program C++ you will probably cause bugs if you are not an experienced Civ4Col modder.
Some of these features (e.g. Native Raids) are really tricky.

Is this the correct place to be posting this ?

Well yes, it is fine. :)
Maybe we need a thread where people can ask modding questions. :think:
(But I am afraid I am too lazy to answer those in detail ...)

I didn't see a thread that seemed more appropriate, and the Welcome! thread said to not create a new thread.

We just did not want people to create separate threads for every single question or comment. :)
So we really prefer if they use existing threads that fit.

But if there really is no thread that fits, it is of course also ok to create new threads.

I have a minimal knowledge of C++ (haven't touched it since a course in high school), so that isn't what I was hoping to hear. But, thank you for the reply, and I hope you decide to make an "easy-mode" option for people like me.

I've only had the mod a few days, but I am enjoying it. I have some comments and questions:

1. I like the song that you've used for the new theme!
2. I read that not all professions are available in Europe, which is good. Is Seasoned Scout supposed to be one of those?
3. I am having a hard time figuring out how sheep, cattle and horses are bred. I've tried everything I can think of -- building pastures, using Ranchers, buying some "starter" livestock, buying more livestock, and building Stables. How do you raise livestock?

Well, in fact breeding just works like every other production line:
(except, that you need a livestock, indeed...) :crazyeye:

1. OUTSIDE CITYSCREEN: let your pionier(s) build a Ranch Pasture on a workable plot within the city radius
2. have a livestock (100 will get best result) from Europe in the city
3. INSIDE CITYSCREEN: put a city worker (best: Master Rancher) on the tile with the ranch
4. INSIDE CITYSCREEN: build a Stable to further boost your breeding

Hint: to breed horses or cattle, build a ranch on flatlands. To breed sheeps, build a ranch on hills ;)

Thanks for your reply, Willi. For some reason, I don't have the option to build a "Ranch." However, maybe a "Pasture" is the same idea. Maybe I didn't have enough livestock to get things going (now I have 100). But, also, I didn't see the "Cowboy" option as a job. Now it's working. Thank you.

However, maybe a "Pasture" is the same idea.

The Improvement for Livestock (Horses, Cattle, Sheep) is "Pasture". :thumbsup:

But, also, I didn't see the "Cowboy" option as a job.

Professions are always only shown on a Plot, if the corresponding Yield can be produced on that Plot.

You don't see the Profession "Cowboy" on a Plot if you can't produce Livestock there.
(You must have fulfilled the conditions. Terrain must fit and you must have enough Livestock.)

Windows 7 is no problem for the mod.
(If I understood your question right.)

hello at a question I downloaded yours of fashions of Religion and Revolution of beliefs at me this colonizations 1.01, then I downloaded Colonization_patch_101-rus and just in case here this ColonizationPatch1.01fи all the same these both patches up to the end aren't established (at me Windows 7 ) then you put this of fashions and game at all doesn't work writes what not one library isn't present

I am really sorry, but I do not understand what you want to tell me. :dunno:
(Also I have no idea about the Russian localization of Colonization.)

@Community:
Maybe somebody who can speak Russian can clarify this with volandemord and explain his problem to me ?

I'm enjoying the game greatly, pretty much all the things you've added to vanilla civcol are spot on. :)

Just a couple of minor issues comes to mind.

1) The king seems to be reacting too harshly to your bell production. The "You are becoming a drain on my military" negative modifier is too big compared to the positive ones. And basically it is mandatory to produce bells to get founding fathers.

2) Overproduction of cattle hides. Once you've set up ranchers and butchers in most of your cities, there are just too many hides. Maybe it's possible to require 2 hides per one manufactured leather?

I've enjoyed playing the 1.3 version over the last couple of months. :goodjob:

The mismatch of some of the icons bothers me. I had quite some difficulty with cattle for a while since they are black and white on the city tile view but brown and white (and differently shaped) in the storage and trade views. Another example is with redpeppers where there are 3 markedly different icons, one for the tile view, one for the trade/storage view and one for the bonus resource icon. After playing the game for a while I know where/what to look for but for new players it is confusing while you are trying to sort out all the different resources.

You had problems with matching icons and buttons for cattle ? :)
(Well, I can understand that the different buttons and icons for red pepper might be a bit confusing first.)

But see, they are just very different levels of quality considering the graphics.
Thus they simply look a bit different.

1. Yield Icon --> very few pixels
2. Buttons --> some more pixels
3. Yield Graphic in City and Europe Screen --> higher quality

I'm enjoying the game as well. I'll give some feedback when I will have more experience with the game. For now, i have two questions :

1/ How does the custom house work ? I must have missed something. I choose to sell some good when i have more than 100, and i didn't check the box "never sell". I currently have more than 600 units of that good, how is that possible ? Does it not sell every turn ? (I actually saw the message telling that these good have been sold at some turn) Does it not sell all the goods above the limit whenever the overall storage is exceeded ? (Which happen quite often for a harbor)

2/ I like the idea of the domestic market. I read somewhere that it's not as profitable as selling goods directly in Europe. But this is not true when the prices in Europe dropped and/or the taxes raised. It is thus a good alternative to what have been implemented, in other colonization version, where with the proper building (trading post ?) / founding father you could sell as many goods as you want, even if the goods are boycotted, and without paying taxes. The domestic market gives some income, proportional to your population, that you need to pay the formation of your new citizens. It thus allows to be completely independent from Europe at some point. I really like that.

However, i don't know how you can set a proper commercial route to distribute all the goods over all your colonies. Should i set, for each colony with a market, an import + export order with some minimum good to be kept, say 20 for each ? Could I then select a dozen of trek assigned with all those order simultaneously ? Would it work ?

Does it not sell all the goods above the limit whenever the overall storage is exceeded ?

The Custom House will not sell the complete amount above the threshold at once.
The threshold is simply the point where it starts selling that yield at all.
(So it will gradually regulate the amount back to the threshold.)

Should i set, for each colony with a market, an import + export order with some minimum good to be kept, say 20 for each ? Could I then select a dozen of trek assigned with all those order simultaneously ? Would it work ?

Yes, that would work. :thumbsup:
You can use minimum thresholds (in import / export) and automated transports to regulate / ensure supplies for your domestic markets.

Or you could try to ensure supplies for Domestic Markets with manually controlled transports.
It is up to you. :)

I'm starting to feel the time long. 20 cities, i don't believe i will end my game if i have to handle every single trade route by hand. For the same reason, i have some problem with my main harbor. I only have four galleons to sell goods to Europe... so, since the custom house doesn't sell what i ask to sell... i currently have 5000/2500 goods stored.

The Custom House was purposely not implemented to be a cheap way to replace a good trade system and selling in Europe. :dunno:
(20 cities and only 4 galeons might simply not be sufficient.)

By the way:
Storage has been rebalanced in the upcoming release anyways.

You can use minimum thresholds (in import / export) and automated transports to regulate / ensure supplies for your domestic markets.

It is not very practical. It took half an hour to set the trade routes. The dialog for assigning orders to Trek took one minute to open. Then i had to wait several minute for the trek to choose his route. Besides, he choosed to take a lot of marchandise and to send them far, which is really not optimal.

I could do it by hand but it would be tedious with the current warehouse system. I guess i'll have to wait another version.

You had problems with matching icons and buttons for cattle ? :)
(Well, I can understand that the different buttons and icons for red pepper might be a bit confusing first.)

But see, they are just very different levels of quality considering the graphics.
Thus they simply look a bit different.

1. Yield Icon --> very few pixels
2. Buttons --> some more pixels
3. Yield Graphic in City and Europe Screen --> higher quality

Yep, cattle. See image 3 below. You are right about different image sizes but it is good if they are somewhat consistent. Tobacco is an excellent example where this is done well. With cattle I kept looking for something brown, and perhaps white, on the city tiles and could only find horses. (Sorry I forgot to highlight it but look at the upper left city tile...) Then after I figured that out, next game I kept looking for something black and white to purchase in Europe when I wanted to get my livestock industry going. Okay I'm over it now. Experienced players of the mod (and TAC too?) will just know but I'm sure I'm not the only new player of the mod which has experienced a period of confusion. Probably not a big problem but I guess it depends how friendly you want to be to fresh blood?

I might not of bothered showing you but thought I should post about a problem I have noticed with the spawning of native tribes on the map. The last tribes to be given cities, those at the south of the worldmap sometimes (often enough that you will see it once you notice it) only get one or two cities. You can notice this most often on gigantic maps since the number of tribes and cities each tribe should get are much larger but I have also seen it happening on large maps for a couple of tribes. Maybe it can even happen on smaller maps but I haven't been playing those. ;) I can't follow the code which does this so pardon me if I misunderstand the mechanics a bit. Image is of a start game gigantic, temperate, low water level. I've included an image of the next third or so of the same map for comparison to the number of cities the other tribes get. I don't think that any of the other tribes got less than a dozen cities at the start of the game and at least one had over 30. I think the solution would be to turn down the number of cities allocated to each tribe (however that is technically accomplished). Otherwise as a player I might be tempted to exploit the opportunies of having a bunch of tribes with only one city clustered so close together. :lol:

I'm not sure of your development cycle and whether this would still be possible to adjust for the upcoming version?

Top Bottom