Religion Forum ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamboJoel

Cool.
I don't care at all about religion. And I guess like 97% of agnostic or atheist CFC posters I accept everybody's faith. And I wouldn't doubt that a majority almost as big of religious posters would vote the same.

But more and more, when I log on CFC OT and look at the thread list I leave after 5 seconds of reading the top threads.
It's getting more boring every day with the growth of stupidity that comes along with debating religious matters.

It's very surprising, in my everyday life in Europe, religious debates simply don't exist, but in this dominant American political arena they are so prominent that I even hear my country is under "permanent intifada". Is it Tahiti ?

I wont go too much further into the sarcasm I could make about some Americans keeping focus on issues that nobody cares about anymore here (the debate on religion, not religion) or what happens with ones penis or vagina... But it's inevitably an impression you have when European and discovering this forum : a sentiment of déjà vu : two centuries ago...

Considering the extremely large majority of posters constituing the consensus about religious issues, the very low quality of religious debates in comparision to other debates held here, the steril arguments only producing hate, the tendency to lean towards more intolerance, a latent perfume of racism and the amount of threads it generates, I suggest we create a specific forum for the matter.

I don't care at all about religion. And I guess like 97% of agnostic or atheist CFC posters I accept everybody's faith. And I wouldn't doubt that a majority almost as big of religious posters would vote the same.

But more and more, when I log on CFC OT and look at the thread list I leave after 5 seconds of reading the top threads.
It's getting more boring every day with the growth of stupidity that comes along with debating religious matters.

It's very surprising, in my everyday life in Europe, religious debates simply don't exist, but in this dominant American political arena they are so prominent that I even hear my country is under "permanent intifada". Is it Tahiti ?

I wont go too much further into the sarcasm I could make about some Americans keeping focus on issues that nobody cares about anymore here (the debate on religion, not religion) or what happens with ones penis or vagina... But it's inevitably an impression you have when European and discovering this forum : a sentiment of déjà vu : two centuries ago...

Considering the extremely large majority of posters constituing the consensus about religious issues, the very low quality of religious debates in comparision to other debates held here, the steril arguments only producing hate, the tendency to lean towards more intolerance, a latent perfume of racism and the amount of threads it generates, I suggest we create a specific forum for the matter.

I can't exactly say that you are my favourite poster, but honour where honour is due, and this is a most excellent post.:goodjob:
I find myself completely in agreement with it, and I applaud the suggestion the shrill fundamentalist minority getting their own secluded area where they can write out their hate in capital letters and endlessly quote shoddy internet sources until the Day of Judgement.
In that case I might even be tempted to post a bit more often myself again, as it is now I can resist that particular temptation with ease.

It is just a craze right now which will fade. I wont go deeper and give my reasons for this craze although many people will have their own theories.
Needless to say this craze will pass. I orginally stopped coming to the forum when all the threads were of the 'what you had for breakfast' and 'favourite colour pencil' variety.
I am quite confident the forum will revert to its natural state with Iraq related threads dominating the landscape.

I don't think it needs a separate forum. For a while it was only Iraq threads/anti-George Bush threads, they did not needs a separate forum. As Peri said, it is a phase that will come and pass every once in a while.

You are right. Maybe solution could be some religion thread...

Dont like religious discussions? Dont read threads about it or start threads about it. /shrug.

This sounds more like a rant than anything.

I predict this thread will be closed just like the other threads suggesting a religion forum.

@ MamboJoel: Couldn't agree more. :high5: And having read the Comings and Goings Thread, it appears that the current trend is leading to one or two people either leaving, or considering leaving, CFC altogether.

The ironic part is, I am a religious person, and I sit on the same side of the fence as you. I find my participation in OT has gone down recently, in light of all these religion threads, posing the same argument again and again, and the same people arguing the same points again and again. I'd like to think it's one huge PC+1 scam, but there's too many people involved. Personally, I don't mind the occasional religion thread poking it's way through, but this is nuts.

What it all boils down to is, people just can't accept that you can't force anybody to think or believe anything; you can only show them the door, it's their decision to step through it. The sooner people discover this, the sooner our world gets a whole lot simpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom