1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Religion Issues

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Ragneur, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Ragneur

Ragneur Chieftain

My last two games haven't allowed me to found a religion. Any ideas?

2. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

What are your game settings?
    What Civ are you playing as?
    How many AIs?

3. Ragneur

Ragneur Chieftain

Standard everything but no barbs. I've played about 20 games without problems before the last two. I'm playing with the Ottomans currently but can't remember which one it was the game before. I can found a pantheon fine but can't get a great prophet. Eventually my pantheon becomes obsolete as I adopt another religion.

4. Monthar

Monthar Emperor

What difficulty level are you playing at?

To get a religion fairly early you need to have at least 10 faith per turn coming in. At that it would take at least 20 turns after the pantheon to have a chance at the prophet popping. So shrines and temples quickly, Stonehenge, allying a religious CS and/or very good luck in popping faith ruins.

Alternately, if you can get your culture up high enough to plow through Liberty very quickly you can take a prophet to found the religion with. Doing it this way you don't even need to produce any faith, because as someone posted in another thread if you found a religion without taking a pantheon first, you do get to choose the pantheon at the same time as your founder and follower beliefs.

If playing a civ that doesn't get any bonus to faith or culture and at high difficulty levels you will be hard pressed to found a religion before they're all taken. Of course that also depends on what AI's are in the game.

The Mayans and Ethiopians both have an early UB that produces more faith than the shrine. Since Ethiopia's UB is a monument replacement they can also build the shrine, so with just 4 cities they can be producing 12 FPT even without one of the +faith pantheons.

With Sweden if you find a religious CS near your start you can take Honor opener and the policy that gives a free GG as your first two policies then gift that GG to the religious CS for an instant alliance thanks to the UA's 90 points from gifting great people to CSs. As long as that CS isn't hostile you'd have the alliance for 30 turns.

One thing to keep in mind if you ever delay getting a pantheon is if an AI enhances their religion before you pick a pantheon you may not be able to even do that much. On a map that allows 5 religions once someone enhances their religion if there are already at least 5 pantheons no-one else will be able to pick one. However, if there are only 4 pantheons you can still take the 5th slot. At which point the 5 civs that have a pantheon will be the only 5 that can found a religion that game, if they haven't already founded one.

5. AiTenshi1

AiTenshi1 Warlord

Interesting. I haven't had trouble founding a religion even when I am not aiming for it (i.e., I avoid building shrines, temples, etc or faith wonders). I think I had to focus on not getting a religion in order to miss it in one game. Otherwise, it has sort of happened automatically, even if I get one of the last or last one available.

Don't forget that the Hagia Sophia gives a free Great Prophet, so that's another option.

6. Lord Kid

Lord Kid Warlord

As far as the Liberty tree Great Person, I'm not sure you can get a Great Prophet if you haven't founded a pantheon, at least in my games, because the Prophet option wasn't there.

7. Harv72b

Harv72b Prince

This is true, but if you can get to Theology at about the same time you close out Liberty you can grab a great engineer for free & use it to rush the Hagia Sophia. ;)

Monthar covered most of the tips, except that if founding a religion is an important part of your game strategy you can greatly increase your chances by choosing a faith-producing pantheon. Assuming you have the proper terrain nearby, I mean.

Plus of course exploring early & heavily. Even if you can't friend/ally any religious city states, just meeting them gives you either 4 or 8 faith a pop, which can be enough to get your pantheon going.

8. Ragneur

Ragneur Chieftain

Thanks for this, I didn't realize you could miss the opportunity to found one. I founded my second and third cities within a few turns and immediately got declared on by Rome and the Aztecs so was forced to go 100% militaristic for a long, long time. I had one functioning village, one worker and a single shrine. I went for tradition first and honour second through necessity.

It's now 1928 and I've destroyed the Aztecs and am currently taking out the last two of Romes cities. Persia had a continent to themselves and are two ages ahead of me, have 90% of the wonders and most of the city states allied to them. It's been frustrating but fun though.

9. afedyuki

afedyuki Chieftain

Alternatively, don't bother founding religion at all. Just get Monument to The Gods pantheon, beeline to Temple of Artemis, Hanging Gardens and try to get other wonders that fit your strategy.

Adopt another civilization's religion later. Use great prophets to build holy sites -- so that you have faith to spend on great people later.