1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Religion; less-discussed City State feature

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ButSam, Jun 19, 2012.

1. ButSam

ButSam King

Two thoughts after some play so far (~80 turns in my most recent game; a couple of ~50 turn whistle-whetters to get a feel for a couple of civs)

(1) If you want to get a feel for the religion mechanic, I recommend to a beginner of Gods & Kings to consider strongly using Boudicca. If not, then consider Pottery as your first tech so you can build an early Shrine, and go for Stonehenge's tech & wonder (which now gives +5 faith). Religion has been fairly well fleshed out so far in what I've seen in reviews (although I'm still early on...just founded a religion with Boudicca in around 2000 BC -- like I said, use Boudicca if you are new to G&K and want to mess with religion early!)

(2) City-States: REALLY loving the changes here! More variety, AND more quests! Some of the quests have a time limit, too. A couple of things that I didn't see well-documented pre-release are:
    (2a) You can now demand tribute from City-States. You do get some indication before-hand whether they fear your military or not -- presumably the more they fear your military, the more likely they are to give in to your demands...although I haven't actually tried this option myself. But, see (2b) for play balancing---
    (2b) When you (or the AI) demand tribute from City-States, two negative effects happen: First, all other civs are notified that you demanded tribute from a City-State (I don't know if there is a negative diplo modifier yet). Second, the form of the notification is as a special "Quest" for everyone who did not demand tribute, to potentially gain extra influence in an easier manner if they are the first to respond!

Also, for aesthetics, I really like the City-State quick-look bar a lot better the way it is now.

In my game, the Chinese demanded tribute fairly early on from not one, but TWO different City-States, relatively close to each other. Immediately after, the City-States each issued special quests. The first said (paraphrased) they would give extra influence for a gold payment to rebuild the economy from the Chinese demanding tribute. The second said (paraphrased) they would give extra influence for someone to declare they would protect the City-State from aggression. (There is a minimum time of 10 turns if you grant protection.)

That was a pleasant surprise addition to the City-States! Now, back to G&K for Just...One...More...Turn!

2. xxhe

xxhe Prince

I like the city state changes too. I think Firaxis should advertise it in their previews.

3. Calouste

Calouste Deity

Ethopia is also good if you want to get a feel for Religion. They have a Monument replacement that gives 2 Faith and 2 Culture.

4. Invalice

Invalice Chieftain

I was wondering why they kept founding religions quickly!

5. Ceedub

Ceedub Chieftain

Yeah, I went random and got them for my first game and was first to establish pantheon and religion. I did go straight for Stonehenge.

6. TedToaster22

TedToaster22 Chieftain

lol, My first game was Ethiopia and, having not noticed it's UU and UB, I thought they had replaced the monument.

7. geebo

geebo Prince

When a city-state has your religion as its majority relations decrease at 0.75 instead of 1.0. Kind of went under the radar, wanted to make it known.

8. Raiki

Raiki Warlord

And they heal 50% faster too, if you happen to tick them off. :)

~R~

9. NotSure

NotSure King

I wonder if every civ that shares my religion gets slower decay and faster recovery of city state influence. I only had time for part of one game. I played as the Celts and spred my religion to almost every civ on the map. Now I'm wondering if that was a good idea.

10. Barghaest

Barghaest King

I've been offering protection to nearby city-states quite often (since it ups your minimum inf with them by 10) and when AIs demand tribute from CS under my protection, it gives a pop-up dialogue with the leader with the old options "Very well, I won't let this come between us.' (which will lower CS inf because you failed to keep up your protection) or 'You'll pay for this in time" (which maintains CS inf but drops AI civ rep - much like a denouncement it's short tern).

11. Raiki

Raiki Warlord

Yeah, combining a pledge of protection with Papal Primacy and Aesthetics (I think?) to raise the resting rate of CS influence to 45 quite fun. :D I focused my first game on figuring out the new diplomatic systems, so I had a ball completing all the CS quests. Honestly, it felt like I wasn't even trying and had over 100 influence with every City State on the map. :D

~R~

12. Barghaest

Barghaest King

I keep failing the CS quests to acquire the most culture or tech levels in a given time period (180 turns I think on the marathon game I'm playing). Must be because of AI boosts on King or higher... I'm second in tech (I think Korea's on the other continent because that unknown civ keeps making leaps and bounds and snagging all the wonders) and one of the lowest tech civs (Norway) got 1 or 2 more techs than I did during the quest because they're cheaper for him (lower techs and already known by myself and Rome).

Not sure how I lost the culture quest... thought I had that one in the bag since every time I checked I was the leader... got complacent late in the quest and didn't check status so don't know when Rome pulled ahead of me.

13. Randall_Flagg

Randall_Flagg The Evil One

I thought the way when you have a belief it goes off the board was cool. I took the 10% growth pantheon, and the 20% founder beleif. And I was not having the luck with city states you all had, so those 2 things really helped me!! All in all the only belief i think will need a nerf is the +2 gold per city. Then again not sure on that, as I am not sure how well the AI will spread his.

They did a damn good job on this aspect imho, though to be fair and more true, religion should be a major diplo issue.

14. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Playing Emperor here and I am like +97 faith per turn +157 culture per turn. And like +350 something science atm in year 1650. Just play like you used to (Normally an immortal player) and you will win all those culture/faith wars. And if not, just start to kill the leader and pick up the autocracy opener for those easy culture grabs when a city state asks for it.

15. Loucypher

Loucypher King

There is a third option even, they might ask you to Denounce the civ that bullied them to get the influence, which is what I got after Sejong bullied Marrakech.
    Guess who denounced me that same turn?

16. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I offered protection to Jerusalem after the Americans bullied them. Then the Americans told me to F off. If I meekly slinked away, I would lose influence. If I told them "No, YOU F off!", America hates me.

17. kattana

kattana Warlord

so far I have to say I am really impressed with the new city state changes. really livens them up