Religion Master Thread

Leoreth

Blue Period
Okay, there's been some discussion about religion diversification and potential minor religions and I thought it would be a good idea to focus everything in this thread.

1. Unique state religion effects
I think every state religion should come with its own unique effect. Currently that's only Catholicism with its AP mechanic and the hammer bonus for religious buildings, but I think all religions should have some unique effect that is not too powerful but something that enhances certain strategies or play styles. In my opinion it's important to tie this to state religions and not religious buildings so that players have to choose and cannot just get them all.

2. Diverse shrine and monastery effects
As brought up in another thread, gold income from shrines doesn't make sense for all religions that don't have a pilgrimage tradition. In fact, I would say that it only applies to Catholicism, Islam and Hinduism. Other religions should also have shrines, but with different effects. In general though the general characteristic that shrines become more powerful with the number of cities of its religion should be kept. Maybe it's a good idea to remove the cap and tie the effect to the spread percentage of the religion instead, though.

The same can be said for monasteries. Monasteries with research boni make sense for Catholicism and Islam, but not for most other civs. So they could have unique effects as well.

3. Minor religions
It's often been said that Taoism is kind of pointless right now, and many people want to see Judaism back in the game. I think the concept of minor religions suits both of them. A minor religion would have the following attributes in DoC:

- cannot be your state religion
- doesn't have missionaries
- doesn't have the standard religious buildings, but each one unique building with its own effect

They can be founded and have holy cities. Other possibilities for minor religions are Shinto, Jainism or Sikhism. I'm against representing ancient polytheistic religions like the Hellenic pantheon with this, because the concept doesn't suit them.

4. Some ideas for unique religion effects
For some I'm not sure if they should be represented as the state religion ability, the shrine or their monasteries, but here are some ideas anyway:

Catholicism: I don't know if a production bonus fits, actually.
Protestantism: I think England and Netherlands here, so either something that helps with colonization (larger starting cities?) or trade.
Islam: the state religion should come with the current Arab UP, or at least grant a free missionary on city conquest.
Hinduism: I'm thinking something that helps with large populations, maybe extra food stored on city growth.
Buddhism: more GPs, more war weariness?
Confucianism: increased stability or decreased upkeep come to mind.

Feel free to submit your own thoughts and suggestions.

Glad to see you're looking at this Leo. I've said quite a bit in the other thread, but will repeat the relevant bits here:

1. Unique state religion effects

I agree with the unique effects, although will this be accompanied by a faith / piety style mechanism like in RFCE and CW? Seems like it could be a bit exploitative if the Ottomans, for example, could switch state religion between Orthodoxy and Islam at will to get the bonus they want.

2. Diverse shrine and monastery effects

Completely agree with you here about it only applying to Catholicism, Islam and Hinduism. Will add my shrine ideas here again - they all vary with the number of cities with each religion, but the benefits to stability and maintenance could change with the percentage spread:

Spoiler :
Orthodoxy: The Hagia Sophia was built, rebuilt, altered and improved by the Byzantine Emperors to demonstrate their power over the church. The Hagia Sophia should provide additional stability based on the number of cities with Orthodoxy, to represent the supremacy of state over church

Protestantism: Martin Luther's protest was spurred by corruption in the church. All Saints Church should provide a 20% (needs to be balanced) reduction in maintenance costs in cities with Protestantism to reflect the efforts to counter ecclesiastical corruption

Zoroastrianism: The Fire Temples competed with each other to attract pilgrims based on cultural legends. Adur Farnbag should provide +2 culture in cities with Zoroastrianism based on the cultural value of these legends

Buddhism: Buddhism has four holy sites, each of which should be visited by a Buddhist with equal importance. Buddhism should have four holy cities, each of which will have its own site, able to generate up to 5 gold from Buddhist cities. The first GP to create a Buddhist holy site in any city creates all four of them (not sure if doable under the game engine?)

Confucianism: The Kong Miao was a place for the Emperors to venerate Confucius after their coronation or other important events, thus gaining public support. The Kong Miao should reduce the negative impacts from stability checks based on the number of cities with Confucianism

3. Minor religions

Could the minor religions spread like Judaism in RFCE? So if one is removed from a city they settle in a new city and stay at a fairly steady level.

The Jewish UB would obviously be the Jewish Quarter from RFCE with a gold bonus.
Taoism UB should give health benefits in line with the Taoist philosophies of well being.
Jainist UB could add happiness due to preaching non violence
Sikh Gurdwara could add free food as it encourages Sikhs to distribute spare food to the needy
Shinto UB could give extra culture reflecting reverence for tradition

4. Some ideas for unique religion effects

Agree with adding some unique effects, but again will they vary with 'faith' or some other variable, or can you get them just by switching state religion?

A few suggestions for effects which could be state or general effects:

Catholicism: As with RFCE, something linked to the Pope would be good. Maybe a chance to get free unique crusader units every time you DW on a non Catholic civ
Protestantism: Double growth rate for colonies, to reflect the Puritans, Pilgrims etc all fleeing persecution in the Old World
Orthodox: Stability boost due to the church being subordinate to the state (tho' maybe not appropriate if it stacks too much with the new Hagia Sophia bonus)
Islam: Generate free Ghazi units every few turns which are weak (strength three or four) but fast and gain extra money from pillaging (perhaps only relevant for Arabs)
Hinduism: Extra food as you say, potentially better health in cities with Hinduism too due to the purification rituals
Buddhism: More GPs sounds good. Or perhaps extra research from Buddhist monasteries, to reflect the monastic tradition in Buddhism
Confucianism: No unhappiness from non state religions? With Confucianism being relatively secular, there shouldn't be discontent if other religions coexist with it, and IRL it coexisted fine with Taoism and Buddhism for centuries.

I think the most precise way to account for the effect of State Religion is to introduce a Faith Points mechanism like that of RFCE and SoI.

It does not even have to be explicit - Faith Points can simply be a hidden function that counts the number of cities and religious buildings associated with a certain religion. The benefits of each religion can then be a function of Faith Points.

Persecution could use an rework. Perhaps conflicting religions could cause revolts similar to Ashen Veil and Order conflicts in RiFE. You could remove the revolt from Persecution, and instead add a diplomatic penalty with civs that have the removed religion as their state religion.

On minor religions, if Shinto is included, not allowing Japan to have it as it's state religion would be ahistorical, so I think for the case of Shinto with Japan, we can allow it to be a state religion, but only if it's Japan, and only if it's with Shinto.

I don't know about the Buddhist war weariness. Japan, Korea, and the Mongols come to mind; some of the major warring factions.
+1 happiness? Cities with buddhism tend to have very high populations. I've never heard of Buddhist unrest

I think that a science/production bonus would make the most sense for Protestantism.

Suggestion: How about making the Church of the Holy Sepulchre give 1 gold for all Christian cities in general and removing All Saints Church and making Hagia Sophia a normal wonder again? Jerusalem has always been much more of a pilgrim destination for Christians than Istanbul or Wittenburg ever were.

I think that a science/production bonus would make the most sense for Protestantism.

Suggestion: How about making the Church of the Holy Sepulchre give 1 gold for all Christian cities in general and removing All Saints Church and making Hagia Sophia a normal wonder again? Jerusalem has always been much more of a pilgrim destination for Christians than Istanbul or Wittenburg ever were.

Yeah but Jerusalem was a Holy Site for 3 different religions

I don't know about the Buddhist war weariness. Japan, Korea, and the Mongols come to mind; some of the major warring factions.
+1 happiness? Cities with buddhism tend to have very high populations. I've never heard of Buddhist unrest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_violence

It's not unheard of, and I think it would be a little stereotypical to make it have a peacemaking effect. But it might make sense from a gameplay perspective.

^ If anything Buddhism should reduce war weariness.

The notion that Buddhism is somehow more dedicated to nonviolence than say, Christianity, is yet another laughable Western misconception.

On minor religions, if Shinto is included, not allowing Japan to have it as it's state religion would be ahistorical, so I think for the case of Shinto with Japan, we can allow it to be a state religion, but only if it's Japan, and only if it's with Shinto.

This would be too restricted. I am against Shinto, it is pantheon essentially, but polished with feudalism + civil service.

Any downside or double-edge effects from religions?

For example, Buddhism had spread rapidly when China collapsed into civil wars, and when peace comes, they consumed land and gold, became dilemma for Emperors: Buddhist provides stability, but are eating more and more tax income.

Shinto is best represented by a Japanese UB IMO since it should not have any chance to spread outside Japan anyway.

Any downside or double-edge effects from religions?

For example, Buddhism had spread rapidly when China collapsed into civil wars, and when peace comes, they consumed land and gold, became dilemma for Emperors: Buddhist provides stability, but are eating more and more tax income.

There's already happiness penalties for multiple religions. And no pantheon wonders. And Harun al-Rashid hates you. I'm not convinced we need more penalties.

I like the idea of removing the gold cap from the shrines. They seem a little weak considering the amount of effort that you have to put in, and after you get 20, there's little reason to continue spreading, which seems a little unrealistic. The key is balancing the bonus.

Perhaps you could make it so that the AI civs are more likely to try to attack the city and capture it for themselves if it becomes too valuable. One of the problems is that civs are less likely to attack members of the same religion. You could try creating a diplomacy penalty between the owner of the shine and all of the civs that follow that religion. As the bonus from the shrine grows, so does the penalty. This could represent jealousy or perhaps a kind of built-in schism if different civs want to fight for control of the religion.

To: All Advocates of Shintou

Google Sensei the following:

神道

Do some research.

That is all.

A few suggestions for effects which could be state or general effects:

Catholicism: As with RFCE, something linked to the Pope would be good. Maybe a chance to get free unique crusader units every time you DW on a non Catholic civ

It would be great and it'd solve the problem of crusade absence.

Isn't it a little OP ? maybe some :food: bonus

The problem with a :food: bonus is that increases the maximum size of the colony, which is a bit ahistorical and OP in itself given the massive amount of food that many colony sites already have. I don't think it's that OP, as the idea is to make colonies grow rapidly to the point at which they are actually useful and contribute to the economy, rather than being given away to reduce the financial burden.

If it turns out to be OP, the double growth bonus could only last until the colony reaches size 8? Or 10?

Not sure about a science or production bonus for Protestantism. The Protestant nations only emerged as scientific and industrial leaders centuries after the initial founding of Protestantism.

If we're going for a crude 'add X' bonus, the benefit should be financial, as the primary benefit of adopting Protestantism was the end of tithes and indulgences to the Pope, with taxes instead going to the local ruler to invest in the nation. This was essentially the main driver of adopting Protestantism in the HRE. Hence my suggestion of a 20% reduction in maintenance costs.

Personally I would have thought the logical change to the money from Christian shrines, if we go down this route, would be that when the AP is founded it receives the gold from Catholic cities, with the Holy Sepulchre receiving gold from Orthodox cities and the Hagia Sophia giving stability from Orthodox cities. When Protestantism is founded, the Holy Sepulchre can also receive gold from Protestant cities, to reflect the fact that Catholics are much more likely to visit St Peter's than the Holy Land, but the opposite is true for the other two denominations.

I don't see the point in giving the Holy Sepulchre gold from all three religions, as it will reach its cap ridiculously quickly and thus there will be no noticeable difference from how it is now.

Top Bottom