Religion oddity... bug? or am I missing something?

beorn

Prince
Admittedly, I have paid very little attention to the religious part of the game for years, I simply find it tedious. So maybe this is not as weird as I think.

But here it is on turn 124, and I notice that only 4 of 5 religions have been founded. So I look under Great Prophets, and I see that an unmet player has 171/60 points for Zoroaster, and Byzantium has 95/60. So how can it be that one of them did not get the prophet and found the final religion? Can this be right?

Not that I personally care who gets the religions, but it would be too bad if AI civs are devoting resources to an undertaking that is bugged and giving them nothing.

Somewhere there is a civ that has (or had) that last Great Prophet and then didn't have a holy site or stonehenge. It usually means they were probably building stonehenge and had the policy card for +2 GP/turn and got beat to stonehenge and got the GP and no city is building a holy site, probably due to city size and higher priorities. I've seen it happen once or twice.

Could also be Saladin got the GP as the Last Prophet (leader ability) and has no holy sites, too.

If there is a maximum of 5 religions in the game and that 5 Prophets were already recruited, then the game does not show a 6th one to get: you will see "All individuals of this type have already been earned".

You can have a Prophet only once. That unmet player and Byzantium have already recruited one, so they are not eligible for a new one. It is possible that only 4 civilizations out of the 8 (?) have recruited a Prophet.

Kongo is the only civilization that cannot get a Prophet, and might be in your game. If you didn't go for a religious game, then it means that 4 of the 6 AI goes for a religious game. It is more than 65% of them.

P.S.: It is possible to have more religions that possible: multiple Arabia/Saladin: they all get a Prophet and can found a Religion. So you can witness a 8/5 Religions.

But it is also possible to have less religions that possible:
  • If someone fully conquer a civilization that has a Prophet unit but didn't use it, then the Prophet disappear from the game.
  • If you recruit a Prophet in the Renaissance era (or Industrial? I do not remember), even if there is still remaining Religion to be found, the game will no longer propose a Prophet to be recuited anymore.

I recently played a game where Rome early war dec'd me and I decided to conquer them. I finished them off before they got to use their GP, so that could be case here too.

That unmet player and Byzantium have already recruited one, so they are not eligible for a new one. It is possible that only 4 civilizations out of the 8 (?) have recruited a Prophet.
If 4/5 religions have been founded how can two other Civs have a Great Prophet??

If 4/5 religions have been founded how can two other Civs have a Great Prophet??

They expanded it to create the religion. That is why they can't have it: they didn't refuse it, they already got one and use it to create a Religion. They don't have it anymore, but they used to have one at some point.

If the game fix the number of Religion at 5, therefore only 5 Prophets are recuitable. Each civilization can recruit a Prophet only once, and can use it only to create a Religion. Once all 5 Prophets recruited, they are not available to any one. Here, he can still witness the Prophet race: only 4 of them have been recruited.

Civilizations who already recruited a Prophet still have Great Prophet points, and continue to show in the Great People panel. But they can't recruit an other Prophet with those points even if they have enough, but those wasted points are converted into Faith instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom