Religion options

yekodiva

Chieftain
Does anyone know if there are plans to expand the religious options in the game so that you can forbid religion in your empire? For example: If a apostle or any other religious unit comes in your territory it will be targeted by cities and can be fired upon as an invading force.
I like some of the advantages you get when choosing a religion but I think that there should be the option of keeping your civ religion free. Similar to having a religion and having pressure on neighbouring cities you should be able to provide pressure for no religion.

While I would like to see that it's not gonna happen because it would completely block the religious victory condition.

Well I have never heard of a civilization that could 100% keep religious influence away from their borders. Religion don't have borders.
A religion free civilization is an utopia.

But I agree there could be some kind of "atheist religion" that could provide different bonuses/diplomacy impact. It should be quite possible to just mod in a new religion called "atheism".

A purely atheist society would be one where so many religions are tolerated that they just cancel each other out. It probably doesn’t serve any purpose in game other than to invalidate wars of religion card and deny someone a religious victory.

A purely atheist society would be one where so many religions are tolerated that they just cancel each other out. It probably doesn’t serve any purpose in game other than to invalidate wars of religion card and deny someone a religious victory.

That's secular. An atheist society doesn't tolerate religion.

I've always felt there should be a way to push religions out of your cities. As it stands, once your city becomes religious, you can only overcome that with a different religion. Maybe even the ability to adopt policies to make it take more pressure to convert your citizens, but with the caveat that you either cannot have founded a religion, or that it also removes religious pressure from your religion as well. This would make it so that you can't use it to help with your own RV - it's exclusively as religious defense.

I would like to see a diplo policy that can forbid religious units from coming into one's territory for some penalty, similar to what we have currently with Music Censorship. But like Lily_Lancer mentioned, declaring war and condemning religious units is an option that's almost always available. Against a civ like Canada, one probably wants to have them condemned at all times anyway.

Edit: oops meant have Canada denounced, not condemned, but in assuming the point came across.

Last edited:
I would like to see a diplo policy that can forbid religious units from coming into one's territory for some penalty, similar to what we have currently with Music Censorship. But like Lily_Lancer mentioned, declaring war and condemning religious units is an option that's almost always available. Against a civ like Canada, one probably wants to have them condemned at all times anyway.
Only formal war need to wait turns. Wars with a sufficient cesus belli like Holy War or Protectorate or Liberation War don't need to wait turns.

It'd be nice to have a policy card that makes all Research Labs, Broadcast Centre / Film Studio, Spaceports and Stock Exchanges push back against religious pressure.

In addition to declaring war, there is also a world congress proposition that allows you condemn religious units without being at war.

Also, since you can name custom religions whatever you want, you can always create a religion that's all about not having a religion. An ironic meta-religion.

I've made religions called Atheism and Secular Humanism in game that function the same way as ordinary religions. Even triggered a religious emergency when I converted the Orthodox Christian holy city to Atheism using a rock band.

More like Cynicism.
It could include a free copy of the Salt luxury, as your civ is taking everything with a grain of salt.[
In addition to declaring war, there is also a world congress proposition that allows you condemn religious units without being at war.

Also, since you can name custom religions whatever you want, you can always create a religion that's all about not having a religion. An ironic meta-religion.
Atheism behaving like a religion to counter any challengers to it is ironic. It can even have a salty sacrament!

Top Bottom