Religion: Should I try to convert my own cities?

rschissler

King
I have religion turned off as a victory condition, and have done almost nothing with religion except create a couple districts and buildings. A few of my top cities have the same religion that I think may have been converted early on without my being aware of it. Also, I have other cities that have a pantheon, and other cities with various other religions. That shows you how clueless I am about religion in this game.

Should I purchase missionaries from faith and try to convert these other cities I have, so that they are all the same? If I do that, what benefit will I receive?

what kind of religious benefits did you pick? I guess it would depend on that.

what kind of religious benefits did you pick? I guess it would depend on that.

Basically.

When you pick a pantheon belief (which sometimes requires forethought depending on the map terrain) and you either accumulate enough faith points for a Prophet (which you can check in the great persons tab) or found Stonehenge (which requires stone adjacent to a flat space) you can pick a religion and two beliefs. With each of the next 2 apostles you can select another belief for a total of four beliefs. Its also best imho to use another apostle for an inquisition so you can build inquisitors which are useful to keep in a city and purge them of other religions if the AI starts to try and convert them.

You can find a list of everything here along with a walkthru: http://civ6.gamepedia.com/Religion
I haven't had an AI religious victory in my games but AI will try and convert your cities and go for that win. Along with espionage it is its own mini-game.

First of all, have you founded your religion? If yes, that's how Balerune had said.

If not, then you don't have much of a choice than hoping the beliefs the AI picked are useful to you. There's no grand benefit for all your cities having the same religion, except the follower beliefs and worship buildings.

Luckily, you had Religious Victory disabled. If not, then you had to either juggle religion within your own cities to prevent a religious victory, or kill the ofunder of said religion (which still don't make you the founder of that religion, so you can't add beliefs nor benefit from founder beliefs)

That's helpful, but I was wondering if there is anything I can or should do to my own cities that have a different religion.

Depends on whether you want to convert them or not. See which beliefs better suit you and spread that religion.

If you build a Holy Site and a Shrine, you can faith-buy Missionaries of that city's religion (regardless if you founded a religion or not). Same for Temples and Apostles. They'll be of that specific city's religion, so mind where you buy them.

Top Bottom