Religion.

I cant decide if you are talking about:

1. The message saying not being able to convert to your own religion?

2. Taoism being barbarian?

Dagoth Ur said:
I cant decide if you are talking about:

1. The message saying not being able to convert to your own religion?

2. Taoism being barbarian?

Yeah, thats it... the second one. I was shocked... I knew barbarians could develop on their own once they captured a town... but they got pretty damn far in it! And Taoism was the last one to be discovered in my game.

I didnt know they could develop their own religions, but thats awesome.

The barbarians founded Taoism? Do they try to convert you?

Gato Loco said:
The barbarians founded Taoism? Do they try to convert you?

I imigine it can be done... religion spreads on its own all the time, however... I can see they're not having much luck... as its only 1% influence.

Funny thing about religion... I founded christianity, hiduism, and judaism, right? Well, I wanted christianity to be my state religion, so as soon as I got it. Had theocracy so that only christianity would now would be spread around by me. However, it seems those other two, hinduism and judaism took quite a run away from me, and I hadnt planned on it. I found, and met up with a civilization hundreds of years later, that had hinduism as its state religion... a huge distance away from me. So it made quite the leaps and bounds.

Raziaar said:
I imigine it can be done... religion spreads on its own all the time, however... I can see they're not having much luck... as its only 1% influence.

Funny thing about religion... I founded christianity, hiduism, and judaism, right? Well, I wanted christianity to be my state religion, so as soon as I got it. Had theocracy so that only christianity would now would be spread around by me. However, it seems those other two, hinduism and judaism took quite a run away from me, and I hadnt planned on it. I found, and met up with a civilization hundreds of years later, that had hinduism as its state religion... a huge distance away from me. So it made quite the leaps and bounds.

Well, I suspect what happened was that when you make theocracy, the religions that are not your state will flee your land to more accepting places.

apatheist said:
Are you sure they didn't just capture Rostov? That makes a lot more sense.

Perhaps... I dunno. I guess that would make sense. Bah, there you have to go and ruin my marvel :p

With regards to the barbs getting the religion, I played a game where a continent went undiscovered till about 1700 and the barbarians had a couple cities all over the continent that had road infrastructure between the cities. They can be pretty advanced over time, but I doubt that they can found religions.

Dbob said:
With regards to the barbs getting the religion, I played a game where a continent went undiscovered till about 1700 and the barbarians had a couple cities all over the continent that had road infrastructure between the cities. They can be pretty advanced over time, but I doubt that they can found religions.

What were the names of the cities? If they correlate to the currently available civs, the civs probably landed colonies that got overran.

They were the barbarian named cities like Thracia(sp?) and Numidia, and Chinook, also around the cities(8 tiles) they were fully worked with towns and farms. Now granted this is about 70-80% of the total game turns that these barbs were untouched and allowed to grow but it was still really cool, because I got there first and it was basically like a barbarian campaign.

Dbob said:
They were the barbarian named cities like Thracia(sp?) and Numidia, and Chinook, also around the cities(8 tiles) they were fully worked with towns and farms. Now granted this is about 70-80% of the total game turns that these barbs were untouched and allowed to grow but it was still really cool, because I got there first and it was basically like a barbarian campaign.

Those are all cities from the civs in the game, I believe... so they probably popped off little settlements, and the barbarians just simply overwhelmed them.

Trust me, they were not from other civs, I was the first to get the galleon tech, which I believe is the first ocean going vessel that can carry settlers and military units. I should have taken a screenshot before i conquered them. Plus how do you explain the roads that ran all over the landmass?

Dbob said:
Trust me, they were not from other civs, I was the first to get the galleon tech, which I believe is the first ocean going vessel that can carry settlers and military units. I should have taken a screenshot before i conquered them. Plus how do you explain the roads that ran all over the landmass?

Yep. You're right. I am in a new game, since It takes too long to load and play my old one... I seen a barbarian city get erected early on in the game. really really early...

Funniest thing, it was going RIGHT where I had planned on sending a settler to! <laughs> So i'm marching my four warriors there to take it that I had planned to defend the further out colony. Has elephants, gems... nice :)

EDIT: But damnit, it just pillages the damn barbarian city! awww

You can capture those Barb cities if they have a population greater than one. It's a pretty nice treat, actually, saves you from developing a settler and all. As regards to Taoism, I'm sure the Barbs captured the original holy city.

What would be really cool is if you could talk to the barb leaders of these cities, although I bet your emissaries would just return--headless.:lol:

Founding Christianity in 920 "BC" or whenever it was, was a pretty neat trick too...surely the clock should revert to 1AD at that point ;)

Top Bottom