1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Religion?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by Vind2, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Vind2

Vind2 Woof?

Seeing as there is only one religion left to get (Islam), I think we should decide wether or not we want a religion. Last time we tried to get one we came so close. But we still missed it. Should we try an get religion? If we do we would get some benifits, but this is a bit of a risk. So... should we get Islam or remain Pagans?

2. robboo

robboo Deity

how risky is it to get techs...trade tehm later even if we miss out.

I say go for it.

3. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

i say we leave it, sure it'd be nice to have but theres the high likelyhood that the other continent will have got it by the time we have, we should be focusing on getting the techs to allow us to trade with that continent.

4. Oldbus

Oldbus Chief of Confusion

I think we're something like 46 turns away from researching it - I would think at least 20 turns too late given how long ago it was that Taoism was founded (over 900 years ago!)

Unfortunately, until we do get a religion, the techs we research won't really help us. If we get it in plenty of time before other civs discover us then we could be in a very strong position. If not, we'll be even weaker compared to the visitors.

There are techs like compass, optics, feudalism, guilds, engineering and civil service that I think will be of more benefit.

I think we need to assume we won't get Islam and start planning for 3 scenarios:

• a very strong civ visits our continent, landing near Russia. Russia may well get their religion and trade opportunities.
    • a very advanced civ visits our continent, landing near Germany. Germany may well get their religion and trade opportunities.
    • a very strong civ visits our continent and lands near us allowing us the possibility of getting their religion and trade.

I think our current position is fascinating and it disappoints me that there aren't more folks active in the Demogame. I've never seen a game where there was no religion at all on a large continent (that included 4 starting civs). We have done well against the opponents we know about, but are faced with the prospect of meeting a mighty civ (and yet again, we might have over-estimated them). I think the game is really well balanced.

5. Sigma

Sigma Censor

I'd like to add to what Oldbus and BCLG said, by reminding you of what happened a couple of months ago. We made a run for Taoism (mainly my doing), and spent about 60 turns researching it before we ended up losing the race with 20 or so more turns to go. We wasted a lot of time that could've been used to research other important techs, and as a result, we fell behind in technology. I don't want to see us make that same mistake again.

6. robboo

robboo Deity

i think our best hope is to go out and find the other civs...that would put us in a position of power on our continet religion or not.

What are we missing for ocean travel....have we even build anything that floats yet??

7. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

We've only made castles in the air sofar.
    We need Compass (We can get that by trade) and optics to get Caravels, and we need Astronomy for ocean-trade.

8. robboo

robboo Deity

Then I say we trade for compass and research optics. We then get over to where ever they are adn make some friends. It will complicate relations a bit but inteh long run be better. We just need to make sure we chose our friends not based on personal hate but how the AI sees us. ( like attacking mongolia our closest trading partner)

9. GeorgeOP

GeorgeOP RF Bleachers

I say no to religion. Once we do find other civilizations, it will hurt our relationship if we are a religion besides Paganism. Let someone else write the Koran.

10. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

If we can keep our people happy and research fast enough without the benefits of religious buildings, then we can just ignore it. Not having a religion has been the source of a lot of our troubles so far, so it would be nice to be able to get one, but I think it's a lost cause anyway. Divine Right doesn't really give many other benefits so it's a total waste if we are too late.

11. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Isn't there anyone on our continent with a religion? Or is our continent still a bunch of heathens?

12. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

We're all pagans right now.

13. ice2k4

ice2k4 Emperor

I think even if we do get Islam by a miracle, we'll have trouble spreading it. Unless we're willing to switch some valuable production over to missionaries and get open borders with Germany and Russia.

14. Sweetacshon

Sweetacshon In the foetal position

We have open borders with Russia, but not Germany, obviously ;)

15. ice2k4

ice2k4 Emperor

Well obvoiusly. I just don't see much of a benefit from founding a religion. I mean I don't think we'll be going to war with someone on our continent again in teh near future. And by the time we will be ready to go to war, the countries on our continent may already adopt free religion as a civic.

16. dimaliok

dimaliok GayLORD

We need war techs

17. Vind2

Vind2 Woof?

I guess religion is completly irrelevent now that we are at war.

18. GeorgeOP

GeorgeOP RF Bleachers

We have Chip and all of his glory. We are not heathens or pagans. The heathens are the ones who don't believe in Chip.

19. Pajka

Pajka Chieftain

I think that we don't have to run for a religion now ... let's discover Astronomy and let it spread to us via traderoutes.

20. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

This is going to be really ugly when we finally contact the off-continent civs. I don't think I've played a single solo game where I didn't have at least one religion.

However, we don't really have much choice, we need the other techs to compete with our own neighbors.