1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Religious buildings or missionaries first?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Artifex1, Apr 17, 2014.

1. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Really? You don't like cathedrals? You don't have to research archeology asap and get the artists asap without museums since cathedrals have the great work of art slot so that you could make art asap and not save great artists which cost maintenance.

2. dashwinner

dashwinner Prince

1. First Prophet
    2. One missionary to create a 'zone of influence', generally in a direction where there are 2-3 cities/city states within a 'triangle zone' so they can feed off each other. Scouting is key, you wanna spread in the direction where there is a risk of other religions getting the upper hand.
    3. Second prophet/enhance.
    4. Religious buildings in the majority of my cities; if i went for two religious buildings, i'll go for the one that gives off more faith first.
    5. missionaries until the end of the renaissance.
    6. Finish building buildings in every city.
    7. Save faith for great prophet/GPs.

Of course, it is all situational. In my current game, I'm the only religion on my continent. I can therefore take my time spreading. In other games, where you are competing with others, I find that the earlier I can spread, the more likely my religion will be the dominant one.

3. paralistalon

paralistalon Chieftain

I've become more inclined at the higher difficulties to skip missionaries altogether, except in those ideal circumstances where you're Atilla's only neighbor (in which case, you might have bigger problems to worry about!). I find that the AI loves to great prophet spam in the 100s (standard speed) and will likely erase any religion you have spread with missionaries. I'd much rather enhance with Religious Texts, which the AI can't undo, or build my faith buildings before they double in cost in the next era... paying 600 faith for a lousy Pagoda is depressing, lol. I tend to like spreading with great prophets, and since it's usually a little later, the AI will usually have start to run out of prophets of their own.

4. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

If you have snagged a religious building, which is not always possible, then i usually try and be a bit aggressive about my faith and spread it far and wide. Usually i get at least one missionary, convert all my cities, if there are a lot of city states nearby i will usually get 2, then switch to religious buildings, then finally i will enhance my religion. Missionaries work well in non religious cities that are small. You need prophets in well established cities of another faith.

5. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

Up to emperor : enhanced and after buildings. I nearly always go for Borobudur, so I don't buy missionaries.
    Immortal : missionary first.
    Deity : Buildings, because I nearly always don't have my own religion.

6. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf King

Totally context dependent. If you've got the only religion in a wide area, you've got time to enhance and maybe get a building or two up before you start spreading. But if you've got competition, you need to start spreading fast otherwise the AI will spread their religion(s) and then you're just stuck playing catch-up. Generally I've found that if you're going to bother going for a religion, you need to go all the way and spread it wide in order for it to be a worthwhile investment. Going half-in on religion often doesn't pay off, because often your religion ends up being confined only to your borders.