Religious denominations modmodmod (discussion only)

citis

Deity
I don't know I if someone else will create such a modmodmod. This thread s just a discussion on it. I consider given HR tech tree.
Religions are separated in 4 categories:

Major religions: Christianity, Islam, Buddhism
These religion have global impact and are so influencial that their denominations are influencial too.

Minor religions: Hinduism, Confucianism
There religions are local, but they can be adopted by more than one civ.

Local religions: Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Taoism
These religions are local and can be adopted only by controlling their UHV. In this category we can add all ancient and classical local religions.

Denominations:

For each religion, among the civs converted to that religion, the first that discovers Dogma/Clergy trigers split in this religion. Priting trigers the second split if it exists.
Second split can be trigered by either denomiantion. First split can be trigered by either denomination.
If the religion isn't major then the following event is trigered:
Disovery of Dogma/Clergy has divided our religious community.
Which set of beliefs is the true Dogma?
1) Adopt what is internationally accepted. +1:) from civs with same religion
2) Don't care about foreigners, adopt the true path. +20%:gp:, -4:mad: from all civs with same state religion
3) Try to unify the beliefs. +3:mad: temporarily in all cities, +3 turns of anarchy

Christianity:
Theology founds Orthodoxy. Dogma trigers the Great Schism. Priting trigers reformation.
It works as it is with an exception: Reformation can be trigered by Orthodoxy.

Spreads:
Orthodoxy: Egypt, Greece, Ethiopia, Byzantium, Russia
Catholicism: Rome, Portugal, Spain, France, Poland, Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Brazil, Peru, Congo
Protestantism: England, Netherlands, Vikings, Germany, Prussia, USA, Canada

Islam:
Both Sunni and Shia are founded by Dogma. Sunni is founded first, Shia is founded the next turn.
So on Arabian spawn, Sunni is founded in Mecca and Shia is founded in Bagdad.
Arabia and Seljuks spread Sunni via their UP.
Shia spreads in Mesopotamia, Egypt and Iran.

Spreads:
Shia civs: Egypt (in medieval/renaiscance), Persia/Iran
Sunni civs: Arabia, Moors, Mandika, Indonesia, Seljuks, Mughals, Ottomans

Buddhism
Theravada is founded in India.
Vajrayana is founded by Tibet, that spawns with Clergy/Dogma
Mahayana is founded by China, with printing.

NOTE: Mahayana can be founded by either Theravada or Vajrayana. Vajrayana can be founded by either Theravada or Mahayana.

Spreads:
Theravada: India, Persia Tamil, Khmer, Thailand, Indonesia
Vajrayana: Tibet, Mongolia
Mahayana: China, Korea, Japan, Thailand

Other spreads:
Confucianism: China, Korea
Taoism: China
Hinduism: India, Tamils, Khmer, Indonesia
Judaism: In christian and islamic cities (at ratio 2:5)
Zoroastrianism: Wherever there are Persian cities, while Persia is zoroastrian.

Autofounding:
Judaism: 3 turns after greek spawn.
Zoroastrianism: On Persian spawn
Hindusim: On Indian spawn
Buddhism (Thervada): Before Korean spawn
Confucianism: Before Rome spawn
Christianity (Orthodoxy): On Byzantine spawn (one turn after the flip)
Islam (Sunni): On arabian spawn
Shia: 1 turn after arabian spawn
Catholicism: Before Polish spawn
Vajrayana: On Tibet spawn
Protestantism: Before Netherlands spawn

Not autofounded:
Taoism: Beelined by China
Mahayana: Beelined by China

Founding techs:
In HR tech tree (name in original HR tech tree/name in Leoreth's revision/name in my revision)
Judaism: Astronomy/Calendar/Astrology
Confucianism: Mathematics/Mathematics/Geometry
Taoism: Aesthetics/Aesthetics/Aesthetics
Hindusim: Divination/Tradition
Theravada: Ethics
Zoroastrianism: Priesthood or Law

Orthodoxy: Theology
Sunni: Dogma/Clergy/Dogma
Shia/Catholicism/Vajrayana: Dogma/Clergy/Dogma
Protestantism/Mahayana: Printing

Judaism should be able to spread in any Muslim civilization also. The Jewish population in medieval Mesopotamia, Egypt, Levant, north Africa was much higher than in medieval Europe. Singling out Mali is also weird; I don't think there were a significant number of Jews in medieval Mali (a few, I'm sure, but not more than other Muslim states).

Seems a little weird that Christianity and Islam cannot spread into China, India etc. when in reality they did in the late antique into medieval periods. You're also missing Indonesia (obviously later Indonesia, but still) from Sunni Muslim civs. And Christianity spread substantially in the 16th-17th centuries in Indonesia and Japan, and in the modern era especially Korea, which is plurality Christian today. Buddhism also had substantial penetration into Persia prior to the Arab conquest, and Mahayana Buddhism has significant history in SE Asia alongside Theravada, though is mostly extinct in the region today outside of Vietnam (not represented in-game).

Judaism should be able to spread in any Muslim civilization also. The Jewish population in medieval Mesopotamia, Egypt, Levant, north Africa was much higher than in medieval Europe. Singling out Mali is also weird; I don't think there were a significant number of Jews in medieval Mali (a few, I'm sure, but not more than other Muslim states).
Added spread factor for Judaism for islamic cities.

Buddhism also had substantial penetration into Persia prior to the Arab conquest, and Mahayana Buddhism has significant history in SE Asia alongside Theravada, though is mostly extinct in the region today outside of Vietnam (not represented in-game).
Added Persia in Theravada and Thailand in Mahayana.

Seems a little weird that Christianity and Islam cannot spread into China, India etc. when in reality they did in the late antique into medieval periods. You're also missing Indonesia (obviously later Indonesia, but still) from Sunni Muslim civs. And Christianity spread substantially in the 16th-17th centuries in Indonesia and Japan, and in the modern era especially Korea, which is plurality Christian today.
Added Indonesia in Sunni.

I don't know about Christianity and Islam in India and China. Maybe, buddhism should be added for Europe then. I will think about it.

Top Bottom