1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Religious Diplomatic victory is sort of cheap

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by NintendoTogepi, Feb 29, 2008.

1. NintendoTogepi

NintendoTogepi Noble Pacifist

I have lost so many game to a surprise AP win...

So I decided to start a game where I would go for an AP win, as Charlemagne of the Holy Roman Empire, on a Terra Map.

Well...let's just say things went very well.

A diplomatic victory in the 1400s! Whoa!

And this:

Pretty much total domination with our religion (plus all five AI's had it as their state religion)...also, there's no Buddhism because the Koreans founded it, but the barbarians got the Korean city with like a 2800 BC barbarian event...then I razed Seoul around 100 AD or so...Buddhism never spread past it.

So...do you think the AP victory is kinda cheap?

2. sanarchy

sanarchy Chieftain

I don't get it, you only had 1 city?
    And some tiles aren't even developed yet?

3. Permanganate

Permanganate Chieftain

Your game shows its ideal. Usually it's much worse; spreading a religion to only one small city of each opponent and outvoting the entire rest of the world. (The nonbelivers just give up even if no-one but your own people can stand you.)

It should be like in Alpha Centauri; when someone is elected game winner, the yes votes attack the no votes to force victory.

4. NintendoTogepi

It's called a One City Challenge ;)

And I didn't need the tiles developed until that point...I didn't have anyone to work them!

5. sanarchy

sanarchy Chieftain

ok, i saw that option but never tried it. But the AI is able to build more cities?
    Doesn't seem fair to me, or do you get some other bonus or sth?
    And are you saying you just build the workers?

6. NintendoTogepi

1. The AI is able to build as many cities as they want. You don't really get a bonus, except you can have 5 national wonders in your capital instead of 2 as in a normal game. It's a surprisingly fun option though, or at least on the lower difficulty levels.

2. And what I mean is that the population wasn't high enough for me to have citizens to work the tiles...:)

7. sanarchy

sanarchy Chieftain

ok i get it, thanx for the explanation.

8. Airefuego

Airefuego King

sanarchy, playing OCC is fun, and it does have some advantages - you won't spend hammers on settlers, only need a few workers, defence is very simple, maintenance costs are never a problem, etc etc. So you can concentrate on wonders and buildings and diplomacy.

I play OCC on monarch occasionally and even if I'm half asleep I always get to liberalism first.

The hard part is actually winning - diplomatic is a good option, but definitely not easy when you have such a low population compared the the rest. NTogepi deserves kudos for pulling it off so well.

9. BalbanesBeoulve

BalbanesBeoulve Emperor

Yeah OCCs are fun. I love being able to out-tech a civ that has a dozen cities with my single super city.

10. qwertz

qwertz Prince

:eek: founding a religion, spreading it to the entire world, building the AP, pleasing all the other AIs, converting them to your religion and making them vote for your victory, while being the SCORELEADER in an OCC game :)confused:) doesn't sound cheap to me.
    Spreading the AP religion only to one size one city of each AI and voting yourself for the winner can sometimes be cheap, but it is often more difficult than it sounds.

11. Crowqueen

Crowqueen Token forum woman

Just won one with a Jewish Stalin in the 1700s. Not nearly so impressive, considering I was playing on Chieftain with a full complement of cities and having ground Justinian into the dust.

What is your secret? :)