Religious fanaticism

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Stevo_D, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Stevo_D

Stevo_D Chieftain

I think it would be a good idea to place Religious Fanaticism in the game. I mean, what Civilization in the real world DIDN'T have religious fanaticism? (Saudi Arabia, America's Christian Right, Spanish Inquisition, etc.)

2. Crayton

Crayton King

What Civilization didn't? How about... What purpose would fanticism serve in the game?

I'm drawing a blank, but I think that your civilization will go through phases when religion is more or less important, for game-play reasons.

3. MRM

MRM Prince

Hm - didn't theocraty reflects some kind of inquisition ?

4. jwijn

jwijn Warlord

I think that the whole concept of fanatics ties into having factions within your nation that all want something different, the goal being to please most of them (or simply wipe out the opposition).

5. CdGGambit

CdGGambit Warlord

You're lumping the current Right-Wingers with the Spanish Inquisition?

Whoa dude. Just Whoa. I think you need to get an update on your definitions

6. Sentoa

Sentoa Samaka 3ajiba

The Chinese? The former Soviet Union? I am sure there are others...

7. TylerDurdon

TylerDurdon Warlord

Integrist was an option in CIV 2, but If I remember It was only a way to get a free army (after building up LOTZ of cash in a Democracy) and lead a terrorist Djihad over the world.... I wonder why its gone !!!!!! ;)

8. elderotter

elderotter Otter King

Well Today's Russia certainly has them - just read the current news.
    And do we truly know China doesn't have them? It is after all still the most closed society.

9. SuperSloth

SuperSloth Warlord

Falon Gong is chinese religious sect which has been labeled an extremist cult by the govt and members are sentenced to tortures and reeducation camps.

10. elderotter

elderotter Otter King

Thats right - just read article about them - tho I think the Chinese Government is terrorizing them more than vice versa.

11. Pyerun

Pyerun Chieftain

In communism, you may say that the communist party was God. So, there was some kind of national fanatism = nationalism.

12. Khaim

Khaim Prince

Which is funny/depressing if you actually know what Falon Gong's philosophy is. They're pacifists, as far as I can tell.

13. Balzac

Balzac Chieftain

Idea: Fanatism could be the downside of empherzising religion too much in your civ...

14. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

That's how I look at it. It is the civic that allows violent armed followers.

15. Harald

Harald Prince

I see it only as a nation ruled by the clergy or equivalent. How they actually rule is not important in deciding whether it's a theocraty or not.

16. Onza

Onza green shadow of the Past

Well guys, in my view, religious fanatism could a useful gameable option in terms of preparing to a attacking neighbouring countries oruniting nationa under a threat of invasion from other countries with a different religion. Such an option could allow you for example produce hords of very chiep and effective "fanatic warriors" or highly professional murdrers (so called "terrorists") just as we see it in the real world. On the other hand fanatism has to be balance with triggering total halt on scientific research and huge loss of diplomatic influence and destruction of ties to other ountries in game.
    But - in such case it has to be dynamic - i.e. a player has to have an opportunity to swith into "fanatic mode" that will cost some resurces mometarely and dramatically change internal situation in a given nation in a game. In addition there should be intergrated limits on possibility to swich into fanatic mode for defferent religions.
    For instance the highest possibility to swich into fanatism with all its consequenses for the neighbours and for the nation itself has to be allowed for Islam and the second and third - for Christianity and Jewdaism respectively. No possiblity to switch into fanatism mode has to be allowed for the Chinese religions and for Buddhism; quite a modest possibility only - for Hisduism.
    THis is what seems to be playable aspects of this awful phenomenon...

17. TheDervish

TheDervish Scion of the Achaemenids

If you had religions with differing degrees of fanaticism with those variables pre-programmed into the game, that could cause a lot of unneeded controversy. I'm assuming the religions in Civ IV are just bound by their different names to different nations, and not too many differing attributes beyond that. Besides, every religion has the potential for fanaticism and such; even Buddhism and Hinduism (this is coming from someone who has eastern beliefs).

18. wit>trope

wit>trope Deity

A fanaticism option should only be available when your population is 90% (or whatever percentage) of the same religion.

That way it would be a nice alternative strategy to Freedom of Religion which gives bonuses to having lots of different religions.

19. Crayton

Crayton King

Theocracy is already the antithesis of Freedom of Religion. Therefore, you could reason than fanaticism(Theocracy) is in the games, at least at the state level.

20. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

I see it as fanaticism because the Theocracy civic gives you a free promotion to all new combat units as well as totally disallowing the spread of other religions. I take that as arming for the jihad/crusade and not a kindly benevolent theocracy. Look at the effects, not the labels.