1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Religious Genocide?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by periculum69, Nov 4, 2005.

1. periculum69

periculum69 Chieftain

I was just wondering if it was possible to exterminate a religion? It seems that once a religion finds it way into a city, it's there to stay, and that the only way to get rid of a religion is to destroy the city.

2. Gufnork

Gufnork Prince

Religions are good. They mean you can build more temples/monasteries/cathedrals.

3. Vietcong

Vietcong Deity

i want only the state religon, i dont want more nonsences, i wand to slay the infideals!

4. Ruffin

Ruffin Warlord

Asked about this, apparently no way to do it. I'm recommending that an expansion pack change the religious great people to allow them to conduct an "Inquisition" and remove all the non-state religions from a city. Plus penalties for multiple religions in a theocracy or organized religion.

5. southafrica

southafrica Warlord

Only way to have one relgion is too found one religion than hopefully before any other is spread to your way, adopt theocracy...

6. Astax

Astax Prince

I'm with you on this! KILL THE INFIDELS! BTW Fundementalism = best government EVER! And fanatic is the best UU EVER!

7. MattJek

MattJek King

INFIDELS, ENEMIES OF GOD!!! yeah, sometimes I go to exterminate whole civilizations if they have a different religion than mine... Im warped that way :D

8. petey

petey Prince

A neat mod would be a suicide bomber. It can attack stacks of units and deal out significant damage but dies in the process. Can only be built in a city with a temple.

9. Gebstadter

Gebstadter Chieftain

Man, you must have some really nasty suicide bombers where you live if they can take out entire armies in a single swoop.

10. baptiste

baptiste Warlord

What happens if you take the native city of a religion and burn it away ? Does the religion stays through all the city converted ?

11. petey

petey Prince

The religion stays, but it no longer has a holy city and another one can't be built, so no one can get gold out of it. Also, there's a diplomatic penalty for razing a holy city in your relations with the AI, even if they weren't of that religion.

12. SuperSloth

SuperSloth Warlord

i think the bombers should be made slightly weaker, but are undetectable by ordinary units since they are able to blend in with the civilian population. so maybe 4-5 bombers are sufficient enough to take out one enemy unit.

the bombers should also be able to take out various infrastructure, dont know if this can be done though.

13. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

Religion in Civ4 is designed so that it would make no sense trying to eradicate one just for the sake of it.

That said, who said we are to make some sense when we conquer the world ? :D

14. periculum69

periculum69 Chieftain

I never said it made sense for game mechanics reasons, but I think it would be more historically accurate (and a little bit of perverse fun occassionally). Besides, what's the point of a crusades if your religion doesn't predominate. Having them both live side by side happily ever after in a city doesnt work for me, I think that this situation should cause civil unrest in civics such as theocracy and organized religion.
    I love the Inquisition and suicide bombers ideas. Was also thinking of more subtle ways to influence by having the game show what percentage of a city is what religion (like they do ethnicity) and having religious buildings bolster that religion among the populace while other religions dwindle.
    I hope this is added later in a mod or expansion, as well as civil wars, I miss those.

15. hahntsak

hahntsak Clueless Barbarian Fool

1. found your state religion.

2. pick a spiritual leader to switch as needed.

3. spread your state faith to all cities, and minor faiths you found to only 4 cities after you get state religion in all cities. this is only to get one catherdral level building of that faith.

4. build monastery and temple for all faiths present. build cathedrals as many as possible. temples/4 = cathedrals. build barracks.

5. use theocracy and vassalage to get +8 xp points with land units.

6. units: build military, settlers, and missionaries. go in attack the city. when you get the chance raze it. then move in your settler and missionary. build a city from scratch and convert it in your faith. then build monastery, temple, barracks and even a cathedral in the conquered city (if it makes the additional 4 needed) it will help you out. use slavery to rush military units.
    use monarchy for +1 happy for each of those military in your cities.

7. build and attack. wipe them out. no peace except to regroup. then attack again. wipe them off the map. remember, you're holy quest is to impose your faith on those heaven infidels across the globe. upgrade military as often as possible.

Semper Fi [always faithful] - motto of united states marine corps

16. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

I had barbarians do that to me once. Destroyed the Muslim holy city.

17. KingAl

KingAl RHPS Criminologist

Just building on the 'Inquisition' idea, perhaps someone could mod an 'anti-religion', which encourages persecution of a particular religion to remove it from a city, and inquisitors could work like missionaries. This could have further diplomatic ramifications (i.e. as well as having 'fallen under the sway of a heathen religion', leaders could dislike you for 'allowing our faith to be persecuted').

18. remconius

remconius Deity

Dont open your borders and kill any neighbouring religions before they can spread to you.

It is a fanatical religious level you are playing. There is only one way, your way. The rest should follow, this is the reason for many wars in the past.

In Civ4 people have religious freedom and as long as the state religion is present in the city everyone benefits.