1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Religious neutrality gone wrong

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Masquerouge, Sep 1, 2009.

?

is the T-shirt religiously neutral?

1. Yes

58 vote(s)
    86.6%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  3. I wanna see the results!

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. Arwon

Arwon

Yeah but for that to be even slightly true you have to accept the insane false equivalence presented between "evolution" and "creation" as two equally valid things.

It's only "not religiously neutral" if your beliefs are verifiably wrong. This would be exactly like a Hindu school banning something that contradicted the creation myth that says the world was created from a sea of milk.

2. Xyan

Xyan Cyber Monk

What is wrong with these people? It's just a shirt. And a rather cool one to be honest. *shake head in disbelief*

3. AesronDrosseli

AesronDrosseli Chieftain

Since you're using the example of Hinduism, would you wear a shirt of a beef patty to India?

The cow is sacred in Hinduism, and for you to go around wearing such a shirt would be so not religiously neutral. Since many people reject religion as being illogical anyway, these people would not place creationism and evolution on the same level, and by your logic should then disregard all things considered sacrosanct by the religious.

Not cool.

4. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

You have to be joking. And it's not a particularly funny joke.

5. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING Supporter

How do you have a shirt with a depiction of the most controversial topic between religion vs education and claim that it is neutral? I don't think the CFC voters ate their Wheaties this morning. :p

Does the shirt say anything about religion? No.
    Does it depict something contrary and offensive to some religious? Yes.

6. holy king

holy king Deity

you mericans are crazy.

7. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

Damn.

So if something is offensive to people for religious reasons, then it's by default "not religion neutral"? That's crazy. Eating meat is then not religion neutral. Nor is a woman who doesn't cover her hair. Utterly crazy.

Judging by the quote above, you want to remove evolution from the classroom? If so, then you're a religious nutjob.

Also what about the following things that have been religiously debated throughout history (which some people debate today):

Earth is round, not flat
    Earth orbits around the sun
    Earth is not the center of the universe

Aren't all of those facts not religiously neutral according to your logic?

MeteorPunch, your stance is illogical, completely.

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

According to only some Christians. Most Christians do not take the bible literally.

This would only be a controversy to the most fanatical of Christians. (If you look at the whole of Christiandom, not just the southern U.S. or whatever)

You are talking about a fringe group of whackos who believe this stuff. That they should be so entrenched in society in some parts of the world as to have the power to influence what happens in a school is tragic.

9. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

Wrong. That is not the most controversial topic between religion and education. Despite what the "teach the controversy" advocated would have you think, there is no controversy. The question is settled. A small minority* does not a controversy make just by being loud.

*YECs are a minority even of Christians.

10. MeteorPunch

Not neutral doesn't necessary mean hugely controversial or terrible or whatever. Just because something doesn't sit well with a religion doesn't mean anyone should necessarily react differently. You gotta do what's best for society without stepping on anyone's freedom. No one was forced to buy those shirts (I assume?).

Nah I don't believe in evolution, but I believe in someone's right to teach a theory.

I couldn't name a current religion in which those are issues.

11. TheJ0K3R

TheJ0K3R Warlord

Don't know anything about bible..Just want to see the results.

12. holy king

holy king Deity

this has nothing to do with the bible.

13. MeteorPunch

What's the most controversial then, currently?

14. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

What freedom is violated? The existence of the shirts violates no one's freedom.

If "current" is your qualifier, then I'll just drop those examples.

Here's the complete article.

15. MeteorPunch

Right.

I have no problem with the shirt - these people need to get over it. No one is forcing them to buy one. :lol:

16. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

Worldwide? Probably gay-related issues.

Only for some very specific parts of American Christianity is the theory of evolution a hot issue.

17. MeteorPunch

I meant specifically with schools/education, but yeah you're probably right.

18. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

I don't think there are any science-related controversies. Most churches outside of America have found out the war Copernicus started is lost, and just go on beside or together with science.

19. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

I can see how this would be offensive to some evangelical Christians.

And how exactly have brass instruments evolved since the 60s? They aren't made of brass anymore? Better spit valves?

20. AngryZealot

AngryZealot King

This, quite literally. There are some fancy new designs that improve the sound of the instruments :lol: (the traditional design disrupts airflow in the instrument, while newer designs promote a smooth air flow). Valve manufacturing has improved a lot too.