[RD] Religious News Thread

Edmund Ironside

White Rabbit Object
The thread for posting news stories involving religion. Around 85% of the population of the world follows some sort of religion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations), so it remains an important factor in the world we live in, whether for better or for worse.
Please be sensitive to other peoples beliefs.

Now to start with a story that has a very tenuous link to religion, but Jonah & the Whale anyone!?

Humpback whale swallows Cape Cod Fisherman, and then spits him back out (he is fine, otherwise I wouldn't post the story)!
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57450685

Now to start with a story that has a very tenuous link to religion, but Jonah & the Whale anyone!?

Humpback whale swallows Cape Cod Fisherman, and then spits him back out (he is fine, otherwise I wouldn't post the story)!
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57450685
I can just imagine what was going through the whale's mind:

"Wtf is this... this isn't fish or krill... it's really disgusting... BLEAH!"

:cringe:

The right wing of the Southern Baptist Convention just lost to a "moderate" who describes his position as: "I believe in the inerrancy, infallibility and sufficiency of God's word, I am pro-life, and I believe that marriage is between a man and woman." It sounds like he was exposed as "woke" when he gave a series of sermons on marriage he preached with his wife, which the right see as a violation of biblical strictures against women preaching in church. Another thing the right seem to have an issue with is critical race theory, because Jesus was really into dictating the appropriate historiography technique.

I suspect that the radical right Baptists will soon leave the SBC for their own group. US Religion is mostly about building walls around one's beliefs to keep out the troublemakers: gated communities.

Speak for yourself.

No, you aren't.

Cute tho.

Who else would I be speaking for?

Oh, yourself. You just said it yourself. Okidoki artichokey. Sure.

sounds like cfc
Most communities are like that unless there is a specific reason from more openness: sports team supporters, rural areas, culture based neighborhoods, college fraternities, branches of military service, country clubs, etc. members often like homogeneity around some core set of activities or beliefs.

Any word on which religion is the correct one yet?

Yes, all you need to do is ask your favorite religious person. They will tell you. :)

I suspect that the radical right Baptists will soon leave the SBC for their own group. US Religion is mostly about building walls around one's beliefs to keep out the troublemakers: gated communities.

Probably true of all protestants. As soon as they have a minor dispute, they splinter and form new churches. No sooner had Luther nailed his Ninety-five Theses to the door of All Saints' Church in Wittenberg, then Zwingli and Calvin had set about doing their own thing.

I like the parable of the three rings for this.

"Nathan when asked by Saladin which religion is true: an heirloom ring with the magical ability to render its owner pleasing in the eyes of God and mankind had been passed from father to the son he loved most. When it came to a father with three sons whom he loved equally, he promised it (in "pious weakness") to each of them. Looking for a way to keep his promise, he had two replicas made, which were indistinguishable from the original, and gave on his deathbed a ring to each of them.
The brothers quarreled over who owned the real ring. A wise judge admonished them that it was impossible to tell at that time – that it even could not be discounted that all three rings were replicas, the original one having been lost at some point in the past; that to find out whether one of them had the real ring it was up to them to live in such a way that their ring's powers could prove true, to live a life that is pleasant in the eyes of God and mankind rather than expecting the ring's miraculous powers to do so. Nathan compares this to religion, saying that each of us lives by the religion we have learned from those we respect."

I also quite like the idiom of the blind men and the elephant for this.

"A group of blind men (or men in the dark) touch an elephant to learn what it is like. Each one feels a different part, but only one part. For example, one touches only the side and another touches only the tusk.
The blind men discover that they disagree when each describes what he has learned from touching the elephant."

"A group of blind men (or men in the dark) touch an elephant to learn what it is like. Each one feels a different part, but only one part. For example, one touches only the side and another touches only the tusk.
The blind men discover that they disagree when each describes what he has learned from touching the elephant."
I know the story is a parable, but has anyone ever wondered what the elephant thought about all those humans touching him?

(yes, I know that it's only recently that it's becoming accepted that elephants are intelligent, sentient beings)

I am thinking that probabilistically speaking, it's more likely one of the extinct ones.

I am thinking that probabilistically speaking, it's more likely one of the extinct ones.
Or one that is not yet of consequence.

Catholic Church threatens to deny Biden the Eucharist

US Catholic bishops are on a potential collision course with President Joe Biden after voting to commission a document that may call for him to be barred from Holy Communion.
The US Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) clashed online over whether to draw up a teaching document on politicians who support abortion.
This is the worst quote on the beeb:

Bishop Kevin Roades, of Fort Wayne-South Bend, said: "We weren't targeting particular individuals or limited to one issue, but I think we need to accept the [Church's] discipline that those who obstinately persist in grave sin are not to be admitted to Holy Communion."
He seems to be saying that it is not abortion that is the sin in this case (I do not think Biden could get one) but not legislating in a secular country according to the dictates of the church.

Top Bottom