Religious units blocking my land.

Damus Maximus

Chieftain
There is one situation I regularly encounter while playing Civ that is seriously starting to p**s me off,

WHY, OH WHY CAN'T RELIGIOUS UNITS OCCUPY SAME TILE AS ALL OTHER UNIT TYPES??

I'm fed up of having a rival Civ sending ridiculous numbers of missionaries that can easily occupy the entire area of 1, or even 2 of my cities and there's nowt you can do till they eventually decide to move on, they can also stop you gaining access to important strategic resources in your own territory, but that you've yet to make the required tile improvement for simply by occupying the tile.

Is there no mod out there that eliminates this issue?
I can't be the only one that finds this annoying.......

can I?

It is indeed horrific design.

Civilian units should never be able to block military units.

They are civilians like builders and great people so no difference in stacking rules there. They can just enter your territory freely.

It is ridiculous but it is what it is.

I think it's time to re-design map sizes in Civ. There's just not enough hexes for all these units.

Is there no mod out there that eliminates this issue?
It's completely hardcoded, sadly this can't be modded ATM.

But I bet that you'll see a mod for that immediatly after the source code is released.

If Firaxis doesn't come to their sense first and patch this horrible mechanism...

The problem with moving religious units to their own layer is that during a war military units won't be able to kill them then. Or a button like that for pillaging trade routes will be needed (though that'd probably work too).

The problem with moving religious units to their own layer is that during a war military units won't be able to kill them then.
Why? it's just a simple check, the same check that allows you to move on their tile when at war.

I agree it *is* annoying and should be fixed. However, if Religious Victory is one of your conditions then thats the game you have to play. You will need to produce more Apostles to push them back. Another tactic I have had limited success with is to denounce the offender while placing troops at their border. Doesn't work against Spain, however.

Lately, however, I simply toggle off Religion as a Victory Condition and then it seems the AI doesn't pursue religion at all either. It does streamline the game if you are more interested in pursuing other aspects of the game.

There is the ability to stop religion forming in a variety of ways which if anything makes the game more challenging.
It is not often I see this issue unless playing peacefully, I imagine playing on Pangea's makes it worse, I always play continents to encourage me to use the full spectrum of the design.

I agree it *is* annoying and should be fixed. However, if Religious Victory is one of your conditions then thats the game you have to play. You will need to produce more Apostles to push them back. Another tactic I have had limited success with is to denounce the offender while placing troops at their border. Doesn't work against Spain, however.

Nope. I just declare war, and use my units (preferably a ship if they're coming from the sea) as a lawnmower. But that's like the solution to everything I guess.

Think maybe people should chill out and occupy valuable tiles with random units or accept the religious bonuses?

Yea, let's waste tons of production, maintenance, and time just to improve a tile in your own land while also obstructing your own movement. Case in point, do you actually create a carpet just to stop missionaries?

Maybe present a better solution, stop dismissing people's complaints, or stop pretending the game is perfect as is?

Last edited:
Assuming you have units already on hand for military purposes it's not implausible. Combined with terrain impediments and you can block things quite easily. Or you could just, you know, let yourself be converted. The problem is this "issue" comes up so often I can't help think we're being subjected to peoples' anti-religious bias.

Well let's think about this for a moment. If OP has been converted, there would be no traffic jam. So why are missionaries still coming?

Letting yourself get converted won't help if civ no. 3 comes along and it is back and forth. That is why there would even be a traffic jam in the first place.

And if you have military, might as well just kill whoever is sending the missionaries.

The real solution is actually to play on normal sized or larger maps with water. Often times the ai just wont be able to be as aggressive.

Another thing to do is if possible, if you have a crippled neighbor that is still alive, ensue that they found a religion (pass on it if you have to) so they can't be as aggressive with spreads but just enough to stop a religious victory.

I'd like to see a religious game without units, based only on policies, population, buildings, income (tithing) and religious borders if there is a majority religion.

Karpius nailed it on the head: disable Religious Victory and the AI will build far fewer religious units. The flood of religious units will be reduced to a mere trickle.

Top Bottom