Religious Units Exhibition - Rome

Quick synopsis then:

-Killed France
-Declared on Spain and nearly lost France to their 38 Horse Archers and Knights.
-After killing Spain, declared on the Moors and finished them off, giving me several wonders and an empire that I felt didn't need to expand further.
-Started on the Hansa league win.
-Ran out of time and won a Time victory.

I'm not even going to bother with a Vikings demo game. The Berserkers are completely useless as is.

-Can't control the spread of Paganism.
-Oppressively expensive buildings for an early game unit. I'd rather build a Keep + Armory.
-By the time you can even build your first Berserker, you can have 8+, 4XP Axemen units done.
-They can't defend or bombard defenses
-They have no bonus versus Spears or Archery units

All in all, conventional Axes are better, and a quick run to Pilgrimage will replace the Berserkers entirely. Giving them a bonus to Archers and Spearmen and an extra movement point will make them worthwhile. The lack of bombardment is really killer, since it takes a whole stack of units to drop defenses in a timely manner.

The only upside wasn't from the Berserkers at all. The early +2 commerce from the halls really helps out, and I can see why teh Vikings were so much stronger than usual in my Italy game.

Are you going to try Ghazi warriors? I tried them as egypt on small map but got my high midival but kicked by dark aged arminians on nakharars.(i thought cavalry didnt get defense bonuses) try ghazi warriors for the historical realism as turkey, they were primarily raider until after 1071 (Manzikert) Kudos if you know what Manziket is.

Thanks for the input on the Berserkers. A couple of things to note that may not show up in the info screen for the unit...

-they start with the charge promotion
-they do not cost military support

But judging by your comments, they definetely need a rethink.

-lower building cost for Berserker Hall
-no prerequisite building needed
-adjustment to Str, perhaps... I hesitate to add Seige just because it doesn't seem to be the type of thing a Berserker would do... Maybe city attack promotions??

Anyhow, I'm not a unit expert so someone who's better at that sort of thing can likely come up with a better mix of promotions and str to reflect the unit properly.

Try Dara, Tricameron, or Taginae.

Got 'em... although Dara was Daraa. Didn't realize Belisarius did much against the Persians... just heard of him in relation to retaking portions of the West.

There's a alternate history series by David Drake and Eric Flint that you may have an interest in... it features Belisarius and Narses is also in it.

Anyhow, hijacked this thread long enough... await the next report.

Manzikert is likely very familiar to most of the learned persons in this particular thread... give us something hard :)
Okay, how about something you won't find on Google?:p

Battle of Anazarbe (Anazarbus) year 1107; who fought against who and who was victorious?

Battle of Marash year 1135; same question

Battle of Mamistra about 1145; same question

Hint: The same country won all three of these battles.;)

Im only good ivolving either franks, or byzantines. sorry. but ill try.

I'm pretty certain the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia is involved... the place names seem to be part of that Kingdom. I'm having some trouble determining opponents... I think likely the Turks, but google doesn't give solid info tying the dates to battles very well in this case, so it could also be against the Byzantines or even the Crusaders, although I think the later to be less likely. I'm even leaning a towards the Byzantines rather than the Turks as an Armenian leader was imprisoned by Byzantium about that time (as a rebel prince, I believe).

Here's my best guess, then... and google is sketchy on the fine points, so it's only a guess based on slim research...

Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia vrs the Byzantines with the Armenian side the victors (I judge them victorious based on the fact that they were a going concern as a kingdom will after the time of these battles).

I'm pretty certain the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia is involved... the place names seem to be part of that Kingdom. I'm having some trouble determining opponents... I think likely the Turks, but google doesn't give solid info tying the dates to battles very well in this case, so it could also be against the Byzantines or even the Crusaders, although I think the later to be less likely. I'm even leaning a towards the Byzantines rather than the Turks as an Armenian leader was imprisoned by Byzantium about that time (as a rebel prince, I believe).

Here's my best guess, then... and google is sketchy on the fine points, so it's only a guess based on slim research...

Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia vrs the Byzantines with the Armenian side the victors (I judge them victorious based on the fact that they were a going concern as a kingdom will after the time of these battles).
Very good deduction.:goodjob:

Battle of Anazarbus: From 1102-1103 onwards, Toros I assisted the crusaders to neutralize the attacks of Byzantine at Edessa and Antiochia. Later he allied with Prince Tancrède of Antiochia and began himself to fight against Byzantium, conquering the important city of Anazarba. (info from Armenica.org I believe)

Battle of Marash: The hatred and the hostility of the Turks towards New Armenia was bought with the gold that the Byzantine court paid to the Turks, since the gaze of Byzantine still was fixed on Cilicia and even the Antiochia duchy. The brother of Levon I, Stephan, in 1135 took the city of Marash which was in Turkish hands.

Battle of Mamistra: Emperor Manuel (1143-1180), of the Comnenos dynasty, then sent an army of 12,000 men, under the leadership of Andronikos Comnenos, against the Armenians and, with the help of some of the Armenian noble families who were at war with the Rouben-Bagratouni family, was able to drive back Toros II and his forces. Toros took position in the strong fortress of Mamistra and was surrounded of the Byzantine forces. As it was a surprise attack, and the Armenians had not had the opportunity to gather necessary provisions for a siege, their situation was critical. The Armenian forces left the fortress at night and engaged with the Byzantine army which was several times stronger then them. A harsh battle began, which ended in a glorious Armenian victory. Several of the enemy officers were captured and were later exchanged for a large ransom.

When Emperor Manuel was informed of the defeat, he convinced sultan Massoud, the lord of Konya, to attack New Armenia, but Toros twice fought back the enemy forces. Then Massoud allied himself with Renauld de Chatillon, the prince of Antiochia, who was quarrelling with Toros over the fortress of Gastin in the Amanus Mountains, and asked that Antiochia declare war on New Armenia. Nonetheless, change of sides also ended with an Armenian victory near the Gulf of Eskanderun.

The battle of Mamistra was by fa the most major of them. You know, this make me want to do an Armenian campaign and post about it.:)

I know this is very off-topic, but I'm sorry I haven't done anything with the mod this week, although I said I would. My Civ4 CD was kind of misplaced, and I didn't obtain a replacement from a friend until yesterday, and I've been gone all of today and I will be gone all of Sunday, Monday, and possibly Tuesday. I would like to get out a new version by next Friday though, with all of the neccesary bugs fixed, and maybe a new scenario.

This mod is a volenteer effort. Take your own time, because the amount of effort you put into this is amazing. Quality, not Quantity.

*bump*

Sorry, no exposition here. The Islam unit is largely useless as well. It's meant to be a defender, and it works well to stop those pesky knights from running over your stacks. However, compared to the strength of the Crusader, the unit is a joke.

Top Bottom