Religious Victory game...how to start?

Roblord

Chieftain
More specifically....how do I go about getting that first prophet and start the religion? I typically just churn out settlers in my games. Should I do the Holy Site in the first city and delay the settler or build the Holy Site in the second city? I play King level and I tend to have a hard time if I don't get a lot of cities out.

You can try for a settler as fast as your capital reaches pop 2 and then HS in both cities. Keep an eye for those prophet points and start running projects if needed. You can still found enough cities afterwards.

I tend to research either Animal Husbandry or Mining, then go for Astrology. If I want a Religion, I'll usually build a Scout first in the hopes of meeting a Religious City-State to get the starting Faith, or maybe even a Relic, or finding a Natural Wonder to knock Astrology down. After that, I'll build Slingers until I can build a Settler, then immediately after my first Settler I build a Holy Site in the Capital, followed by a Shrine. If I have enough Gold, I just buy the Shrine outright, and will often save early Gold for this purpose if I want a Religious Victory. After the Shrine, I run Holy Site Prayers. Even on Deity, I tend to get 3rd religion fairly reliably this way.

You can try for a settler as fast as your capital reaches pop 2 and then HS in both cities. Keep an eye for those prophet points and start running projects if needed. You can still found enough cities afterwards.

I'm not sure about that - I feel like you have to rush astrology and immediately build a holy site, and then run great prophet projects, to have any chance to get it. That is my answer to this thread, which is why I played RV once and never again.

I'm not sure about that - I feel like you have to rush astrology and immediately build a holy site, and then run great prophet projects, to have any chance to get it. That is my answer to this thread, which is why I played RV once and never again.

Provided you got a 2f/2p tile, you should be able to go Scout -> Slinger -> Settler -> Holy Site -> Shrine -> Holy Site Prayers and still be in time to get 3rd or 4th Religion as well as being in a generally better place than straight rushing Astrology. I have to admit, if my capital's terrain is a bit subpar I just won't ever go for a Religion.

Provided you got a 2f/2p tile, you should be able to go Scout -> Slinger -> Settler -> Holy Site -> Shrine -> Holy Site Prayers and still be in time to get 3rd or 4th Religion as well as being in a generally better place than straight rushing Astrology. I have to admit, if my capital's terrain is a bit subpar I just won't ever go for a Religion.

Don't you feel like you are risking not getting a religion at all? I've gone with my rush holy site/projects approach and still not gotten a religion.

Also, as far as being guaranteed a religion, don't forget about buying the Prophet. One game I knew other civs would get to the last one before I could in terms of GPP, so I bought 20 gold from Mvemba in exchange for 2 GPT. It was expensive, but if you're dead set on getting a religion, then never forget that cash counts as GPP too.

You gotta watch the GP race very closely. I play RV on Deity and always prioritize holy site and shrine with a mix of scouts and military to stay alive. Settler has to come after all that unfortunately. Turn 40 onwards check the GP race every turn because by turn 50 the game enters Classical era and most AI get golden age and choose Exodus and even ones that were at 0 GPP start super quickly ramping up points so that's when you need to run prayers to guarantee it.

People on this site always talk about the 2f/2p tiles as if they're the standard for settling, yet it's very rare for me to see them in the first three turns except for woods tiles (which would lose at least 1p if I settle there), maybe 1 in 5? Do people really reroll that often to get it? Or is there something different about my setup in some way? I usually leave things as default.

Sorry, bit of a tangent, I saw that comment and prompted the thought. Still somewhat relevant to the OP though, I guess.

Getting a religion on King shouldn't be difficult. In that situation, I'd start to work toward Astrology immediately, and my BO in the capital would be: scout or slinger (depending on map) > settler > HS then either a shrine or another settler (depending on the situation). But keep building settlers!

You could build a HS in each city you found after building either a slinger or warrior.

On King, just build shrines. No need to waste production on HS prayers. Choosing Divine Spark as the Pantheon belief helps, but not 100% needed. Getting a religion on King is almost guaranteed.

And, I wouldn't use the Prophet until I had a HS built in each city.

If you want a guarantee of a religion, you must research astrology first, no question.

And to the OP: the ai *will* run projects AND rush buy great prophets, so buy one as soon as you can afford it. Watch the gp screen every single turn or you may get surprised.

If someone is building stonehenge, or is ahead in points, you can park units on stonehenge and his holy sites so the prophet can’t be activated.

The key to RV, imo, is apostles. Send in enough to overwhelm another religious civ quickly. Once you convert another converter, they should join your cause and help you convert.

Don’t use the last charge on apostles, save them for religious combat. And keep them in groups of four, which should be enough to kill even a debater.

Getting a religion (even on Deity) is usually not too difficult, but staying alive or catching up on other areas afterwards is (since you just invested heavily in a religion).
As you said, you will have a hard time without too many cities, so it is important that you go away about getting your religion with as low a cost as possible, while still securing it.
After getting your religion, you mostly need to catch up fast by spamming more settlers and getting the necessary districts up.

The usual way I go about it securing a religion is:
Build a Scout (if you wanna try your luck on your surroundings and hopefully find a natural wonder for the Astrology Eureka) or Slinger (if you sense you have a difficult to defend position or an immediate aggressive neighbour).
Go straight for Astrology, as every turn counts (this applies even to King difficulty).
Then immediately build a settler and settle your next city.

In both cities, go immediately for a Holy site.
Now for the important part:
1. Check how many religions are allowed in the game (we can pretend that it's 4 religions allowed in your game, but it depends on number of civilizations basically. Go to the "Religion" tab and check there your actual number)
2. Watch the progression on, and the points per turn, other civs have towards recruiting a Great Prophet. Always do this until you secured your religion from now on, even if you have to check every turn!
3. When your first holy site is done, check step 2 again. Regardless of outcome, you should finish your second Holy Site just to be sure (applies mostly for Deity only). If you have a holy site (or 2 holy sites) done by now, check for how many Great Prophet points you are making vs. the AI. Now, depending on what happens next, you need to decide over two courses of action:
4 a. IF you see that there is no AI who has earned Great Prophet Points yet, build a Shrine in one of your cities (in your capital if you second city has low production, otherwise your second city) - this helps you get more Great Prophet Points in the long run, as isn't "wasted" production compared to the next step.
4 b. IF you see that there ARE AIs who have earned Great Prophet points by now, check how many. Is there only 1 AI who is generating Great Prophet points, or are there 3 or 4? If only 1, you can again consider building a shrine since you are likely safe to get one Prophet. If there are 3 or more AIs recruiting Great Prophets, you are on the clock and need to check how fast they are likely going to grab the remaining Great Prophets. Hover your mouse over the AIs "Great Prophet recruitment meter" and look for the number. Your Holy sites should give you 1-2 Great Prophet points by now, which means that it will take you between 30-60 turns to get a religion (assuming standard speed). If the AIs have 2 or more Great Prophet Points per turn, you can assume that they will get the Prophets before you. Therefore, you need to run Holy Site Prayers in one or both of your cities (depending on how far their progression meter has gone towards "full", and depending on how many points per turn the AI is generating). If their number is higher than yours, and they have a head start on your meter, you need to run the prayers in both cities. Keep running Holy site prayers until you get the Great Prophet.

Note
: The reason it is important to look at the available number of religions (in my example 4 total religions) and then the number of AIs going for Great Prophets (in my example, if there are 3 or more), is that one AI can at any time build Stonehenge. Thus if there are 3 AIs going for a religion the "normal" way (through Great Prophet points), you must assume that the 4th Prophet can and will be taken at anytime by an AI building the Stonehenge. If that happens, all 4 Prophets have been recruited, and you lost the race for a religion.
Note 2: Your goal isn't to get the first religion, or even the second. Be happy if you get one of the last ones, since if you rush the religion too fast (through holy site prayers, which you sometimes need to do of course), you are "wasting" production which could have been used for Settlers, other Districts and Shrines (which you will need eventually for getting Missionaries). Therefore you are better off investing into other things if you can afford to (depending on how much the AI slacks on the GPP race), as that over time pays back more compared to getting your religion a few turns earlier.

1. Check how many religions are allowed in the game (we can pretend that it's 4 religions allowed in your game, but it depends on number of civilizations basically. Go to the "Religion" tab and check there your actual number)

The number of religions is NOT dependent on the number of player but on the map size. The formula is Players meant to play this map/2 + 1. So on a standart map meant for 8 players you have 8/2+1=5 religions in the game.

Pick Arabia. You don't have to worry about anything because the last Great Prophet will appear as the last religion spot is open guaranteed. You still need to build the holy site to find the religion though just like any other great prophet.

The number of religions is NOT dependent on the number of player but on the map size. The formula is Players meant to play this map/2 + 1. So on a standart map meant for 8 players you have 8/2+1=5 religions in the game.

Obviously, but most players play on the standard amount of civs suggested for the map size, hence "basically". Didn't want to complicate it in case he's new, which is why is suggested also checking the actual number in his game. :)

People on this site always talk about the 2f/2p tiles as if they're the standard for settling, yet it's very rare for me to see them in the first three turns except for woods tiles (which would lose at least 1p if I settle there), maybe 1 in 5? Do people really reroll that often to get it? Or is there something different about my setup in some way? I usually leave things as default.

Sorry, bit of a tangent, I saw that comment and prompted the thought. Still somewhat relevant to the OP though, I guess.

Many play on "wet" and "world age - new" settings increase the number of hills and forests. But yeah, for standard settings a 2/2 tile is a lot more rare unless you reroll.

Pick Arabia. You don't have to worry about anything because the last Great Prophet will appear as the last religion spot is open guaranteed. You still need to build the holy site to find the religion though just like any other great prophet.

For that reason Arabia is autowin as long as you are willing to give 3 hours to the tedious RV game.

The GP race is gonna get interesting with the shuffled tech/civics mode releasing tomorrow. Astrology could be in the 2nd or 3rd column. Gonna be even more adventageous to discover an early natural wonder.

Luck can have a lot to do with it. In an Immortal game I just got the 3rd religion by accident. Playing Trajan on a continents map, sharing my continent with Qin and Hojo, I realized that i was about to get legions while Hojo had two cities, no walls, and no iron. You can guess what happened next. (I think barbs captured his first settler, which crippled him.) Turns out Kyoto had both a holy site and Stonehenge. Apparently Hojo and Gandhi were the only AIs going for a religion, since #3 dropped in my lap 40 or so turns later.

Last edited:

No, I mean being able to work at least one 2f/2p tile, not necessarily having a capital 2f/2p which I agree is less likely than not. Obviously if you can settle on to a Plains Hill, that's a fun bonus, but there's lots of 2f/2p tile possibilities for just working with your first citizen - Grassland Hills with Woods, Grassland Hills with Stone, Plains Hills with Jungle, etc. I may spend a turn moving to be able to work a 2f/2p straight away, it saves time in the long-run.

Sometimes you can't even do that - in those games I don't go for RV.

Top Bottom