Religious war

Should religion play a more influential role like it has in real life?

• Yeah! overthrow the government

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Nah, i actually play to escape reality

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • who cares? there IS no God.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Morgan Freeman is my god

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters

Darizuka

Chieftain
Should religion have the option to overthrow governments?
Example is you completely convert an enemy town. Cant u start a riot there for religious followers to instigate anarchy and war for against the devils that are government

Just because the peoples of two different civilizations share the same religion doesn't necessarily mean they want to be part of the same state. I don't really favor this idea.

I feel like we already have this in place a little bit because you can customize your religion. Just war is basically a belief that allows for the population to believe they should belong to the founder of the civ. I like to think when I took that belief with the Aztecs that French and German civilians were cutting off supply lines and doing behind the scenes operations to weaken the militaries to create the kingdom of the Buddhists.

Also, other civs that don't found their own religion do have better diplo with you when they share a religion with you. I think that's pretty reasonable.

Morgan Freeman is my god. 'Nuff said. :D

Regarding the actual subject of the discussion, I am kinda opposed. As redwings said, just war gives some of these benefits, and is IMO a better solution because wartime is when tensions would escalate most.

Just because both Arabs and Turks are Muslims didn't mean that Arabs wanted to be part of the Ottoman Empire.

Just because both Italy and Spain are Catholic doesn't mean that Italy wants to be part of Spain or vice-versa.

I don't think "religion causing people to overthrow their government and join the nation that founded the religion" has actually happened very often in real life.

I didnt mean join the nation that started it. But cause an uproar that can irrepairably damage a city for easier capture
Zealotry leads to ispiring people to protest and have at odds with their ruling body... giving an easier invasion.

You could do it as an option to pick when taking a religion - give you even more of something, but make it so you are not as stable. Say extra production, but if you get GPs or missionaries converting your cities, there is a massive diplo hit, or lose trading with that AI or some such.

I feel that there is a clear lack of "state" religion.. yes if you have a majority religion in your cities then you have a "state" religion but it's no where identified other than via Tourism pressure and a single positive modifier.

I also feel that there's no clear way of doing a "Holy War" (or War between two religions).. but then again with the horrible warmonger hate... .. eh.

If I'm playing an aggressive game and I get a religion, I end up in a holy war with pretty much any and every neighbor with a religion. Steal away their missionaries, then conquer their empire before they seed too much of the planet with their heathenish ways.

I would argue you can already do this. MMMmmm holy war... to the victor goes entire continents untouched for mass conversion. ...Sorry.

Top Bottom