Remaining units of a dead civilization

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Noyyau, May 26, 2014.

1. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

As it is now, when a civilization is eliminated (i.e. their last city is conquered) all their remaining units simply disappear.
    This is of course without the "require complete kills" option.

My question is: would it be possible to make it so that when a civilization is destroyed, their remaining units become Barbarians?

Why not just use "require complete kills"? you might ask. Because that would still require me to go and kill every single one of those remaining units, and who knows where that Caravel is in the middle of the ocean? Or have to make peace with a "civilization" that would not be able to do anything anymore, and just exist pointlessly.

2. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

I like the idea of Require Complete Kills, it's like a government in exile, and changing units to barbs would be quite strange, because it would mean when someone loses his last city, all his forces just decide to attack anyone they find (but actually I'll never play without require complete kills, so it doesn't matter to me). By existing pointlessly it can give you +1 happiness for being a vassal, or you may gift them a city too. Normally they will die eventually (the best chance of surviving is a spy, because with random events on, boats will most probably die in the sea, and land units are easier to find and eliminate).

But one thing is certain to break the game nicely with require complete kills, that I noticed playing LoR with a friend some time ago. A iroquois AI survived since the old times until the game finished after 2000AD because he had a single GREAT SPY and no cities. A great Spy with no cities can do nothing, and can't die as well. We only discovered that because we were a lot curious as to how he could have survived for such time and we never found a single unit. Then we entered the game with the iroquois and found the GSpy. This should be treated I think.

3. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

I'm looking into it, I think I can solve the Great Spy issue.

4. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

This made me brainstorming again... :)

How about a new game option/feature: Desertion
    When a civ has no more cities or settlers every X turns (maybe 10 on normal) some of its units (maybe 20%, but min 1) choose to abandon their civ and randomly join one of the civs bellow:
    • a civ they are at war with (Everyone wants ro be on the winning side.)
    • a civ whose border is the closest (Finding a safe haven)
    • a civ they have the best relationship ("Friends will be friends...")
    • barbarians ("We are free!")
    ALL units should be affected including greatpersons.

If it is too complicated than simply every X turn half of ther units change to barbarian.

5. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Eh, it's an overcomplicated solution for a rather simple problem.

6. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

Maybe I should try a game with Require Complete Kills after all.

7. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

We've also fixed the great spy problem, I'll upload the changes later today.

8. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

May I ask how? Does it die now because a guy doesn't have any cities left, or for another reason?

9. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

The civ is killed when the only units left are spies / great spies (because you can't see them)

10. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

This will work with revolution-spawned rebels too?
    No more waiting several turns for them to use their spy (and then die)! :goodjob: