Remember, Remember (the January 6th edition)

Brilliant writing.

As to what to call the day itself, I've long thought "Insurrection Day" but a small bit of my brain that goes off on weird psychological tangents is fond of "Trump Appreciation Day" but I'm not sure if it's spreading the irony too thick.
"Traitor Day"

"Trump's Treason"

Which CIV games do you play?
Usually Civ4 or Civ 5. I don't usually play the regular randomly generated maps, I prefer historical scenarios. Rhye's and Fall of Civilization - Dawn of Civilization is my preferred Civ4 mod and if I play Civ4 I usually play that or some other derivative of RFC. Civ5 has some good scenarios like Fall of Rome so occasionally I play it just not as much as 4.

Polls overwhelmingly show the vast majority of people couldn't care less about Jan 6th. The kabuki theater that is the Jan 6th commission is just embarrassing to watch as was the actual event itself.

Polls overwhelmingly show the vast majority of people couldn't care less about Jan 6th. The kabuki theater that is the Jan 6th commission is just embarrassing to watch as was the actual event itself.

Citation needed.

Usually Civ4 or Civ 5. I don't usually play the regular randomly generated maps, I prefer historical scenarios. Rhye's and Fall of Civilization - Dawn of Civilization is my preferred Civ4 mod and if I play Civ4 I usually play that or some other derivative of RFC. Civ5 has some good scenarios like Fall of Rome so occasionally I play it just not as much as 4.
Ahh, I love the historical scenarios, too. You ever play 1000AD scenarios in CIV IV? I love playing that for some reason.

Citation needed.

This shows the hearings have had no effect on public opinion regarding Jan 6, which is slightly different than "the overwhelming majority don't care about Jan 6."

However, I will say that polls seem to show the economy as ranking at the top of issues that voters are concerned about for this election, and I've not seen any list of issues that voters are concerned about that even includes Jan 6. e.g https://news.gallup.com/poll/404243/economy-top-election-issue-abortion-crime-next.aspx

'pends how you Google:

Never in my 57 years of life has "having a functioning democracy" even shown up on such polls; that's a measure of how much people care about what happened on Jan 6 2020.

And the answer is going to depend entirely on how the poll question is asked:

"Do you enjoy watching Congressional hearings?" vs
"Do you think lawmakers should attempt to enact legislation preventing 1000 people from violently overturning the vote of 150 million?"

This shows the hearings have had no effect on public opinion regarding Jan 6, which is slightly different than "the overwhelming majority don't care about Jan 6."

However, I will say that polls seem to show the economy as ranking at the top of issues that voters are concerned about for this election, and I've not seen any list of issues that voters are concerned about that even includes Jan 6. e.g https://news.gallup.com/poll/404243/economy-top-election-issue-abortion-crime-next.aspx
More importantly, the hearings have affected the DOJ and its investigations. Ignorant Trumpers will not be persuaded to change their minds. There is no antidote for stupidity. Making all that evidence public is a good thing even if it is mostly preaching to choir. The real value is making the actual truth known, identifying the players, and pushing DOJ into action.

Last edited:
40% of this country is perfectly content to genocide the other 60%. They've made it pretty clear through their behavior. You're either part of the MAGA cult or you're a deepstate pedophile.

that's a measure of how much people care about what happened on Jan 6 2020
Unfortunately, it could also be a measure of how many people genuinely believe that the Orange Idiot reelly woz "robbed" by "voter frahd" and the "deep state" of his "riteful" elekshun win.

Or is that the same thing?

That, too, depends on how one asks the question, and yes, some phrasings bring in Dems and election-deniers answering the same way for different reasons. But since this particular poll has it as a concern for Democrats specifically, I assume the question was phrased along the lines of "are you concerned about the events of January 6?"

Ah, it was "what is a bigger concern: economy or functioning democracy?" 63% of Democrats and 29% of Republicans say "functioning democracy." So yes, but that lets you factor out the portion who are election deniers.

Last edited:
Branding 40% of your own population as deplorables or similar, shouldn't take many brain cells to identify as a recipe for your own demise.
"Deplorable" harkens back to Hillary and 2016. We are way past that. It's 2022 and I am not Hillary. Fervid Trump supporters are both ignorant and stupid; deplorable means something else. The percentage is up for debate. Clearly, you think 40% of the US population fits that category. Given your well known disdain for the US, I am surprised you are not celebrating what you see as its demise.

Having actually lived around Trump supporters for the last 7 years and seen how they behave and contribute to daily life in the US, I would venture that I know much better than you what they are like.

Actually only a pretty small percentage is fully "deplorable." But 40% of the nation won't hold those deplorables in check, won't denounce them, won't repudiate them. So they're deplorable-enablers. And therefore the effect is as though 40% of the nation is fully deplorable.

Yes, it probably does mean the demise of this once-great nation.

Apparently 40% of USians think the 2020 election was stolen. Ignorance and stupidity reign all across the conservative side of the political spectrum.

From Newsweek

Why Jan. 6 is mostly absent from the midterms

The Jan. 6 Panel’s Hearings Are (Mostly) Falling on Voters’ Deaf Ears

Rep. Andy Barr says voters don't care about 2020 election or Jan 6th; slams 'massive disconnect' in DC

Majority of Americans didn’t watch Jan. 6 panel’s hearings last week: poll

Democrats Went All In on the January 6 Hearings. Voters Don’t Seem to Care.

The January 6 Hearings Are Not Going to Save Us

Concerning Jan 6th I think a reality check is needed.

"Deplorable" harkens back to Hillary and 2016. We are way past that. It's 2022 and I am not Hillary. Fervid Trump supporters are both ignorant and stupid; deplorable means something else. The percentage is up for debate. Clearly, you think 40% of the US population fits that category. Given your well known disdain for the US, I am surprised you are not celebrating what you see as its demise.

Having actually lived around Trump supporters for the last 7 years and seen how they behave and contribute to daily life in the US, I would venture that I know much better than you what they are like.
How wise, enlightened and tolerant. 😆

Top Bottom