Reminiscing of early Civ IV days :)

Grimus

I
Today as I was double checking all of my game options (since the patch reset them all) I came across the opening theme option once more and thought... aww, what the heck let me try it out and see good ol' "Baba Yetu" once more, lol.

So I change it up and restart my game again so I can listen to the music and immerse myself into once again.

Well, I restarted the game and boy... it sure is a beautiful theme. I just sat there and watched the earth orbit and go thru it's day cycles for the entire song.

I felt so "tiny" and a small part of a huge, budding world... a huge universe. It made me appreciate life here on Earth more and the beauty of it all... and be amazed at how far we've come along (in most aspects of civilization).

It made me reminisce of the days when I first got Civ IV. The feeling of the game was much different back then, it was all new and fresh, these were the days of innocence. I would befriend my allied civs and cooperate with them... and I would be deeply hurt or offended when I was backstabbed or treated badly. I appreciated human (artificial?) life more and always seeked peaceful means of victory, I was also less competitive and cutthroat... I was merely playing "games" and messing around on lower difficulty levels while learning the game more and more.

That's when it hit me.

This is not right at all.... this theme doesn't represent my game anymore and what I've grown to become after playing it over time. I snapped out of it and was myself once more... the hardened, stone-cold veteran that I've become.

I'm a tyrant. I'm only nice to civs now to get what I need... as a means to my own victory... as do they, because I've grown to realize that's what they're programmed to do. I don't think of them as human anymore, or immerse myself into the game, they're just binary code hidden behind goofy charicatures and I treat them that way.

There are no allies... only opponents. I'm in it to win and I'll stomp over any opponent that I need to in order to achieve that. I revel in the struggle of trying to rise to the top - I'm like a barbarian now that lives for battle and glory. I love it.

So I went back to the BtS themed menu.

It just feels "right". It's feels more epic... more serious... it's like, let's get down to business and kick some arse. :king: (It also reminds me a little of Conan the Barbarian, which definitely adds a few more kickass points to it).

Nonetheless... the short-lived "moment" I had was nice. :) I felt like a monster that just stopped and was human for a moment... an evil villian that paused and had a heart for a second or that shed a single tear and shown a shred of remorse.

How do you guys feel when you start your games? Which themes do you use? (and no, don't worry, I'm not going to create a poll!)

I know exactly what you meant. Especially the intro to Civ 4 was suitably epic, but it seemed to disappear entirely for Warlords. Beyond the Sword's intro captures it briefly; in particular the bit with Lincoln speaking them the shot of the Lincoln Memorial but otherwise the focus seems to be more on the mechanics than the flavour.

:( I wish I could get that 'new game' feeling again.

Grimus, you remind me a bit of Enkidu in The Epic of Gilgamesh. He was also corrupted, never again able to regain his innocence. He had to join Civilization. I suspect the freshness and innocence you mentioned has been taken from you by the likes of Boudica, Montezuma, and other aggressive players. (Ironically it was a woman who corrupted Enkidu, so maybe Boudica's responsible. :p)

I changed my opening screen back to the original almost immediately after getting BtS, but I modified the music to be that from the Rise of Rome scenario. It doesn't quite fit, but I didn't like Baba Yetu. Just doesn't seem like "Civilization," though it is unbelievably powerful. I listened to it again recently and thought, "Wow... maybe I was wrong."

I've got the Warlords menu atm. The music... it's just plain awesome.

And I practically never declare war, so I can't go through your tyrannical half-second remorselessness thing.

If you get me.

:D

I like the original theme music from vanila as well. I have mine set to that option and sometimes take a few moments to enjoy the song.

yeah the song sounds great on 5.1 surround.

Warlords is a close 2nd

BTS is 3rd. just personal preference I guess, but I think the other part of the experience is the earth below changing from day to night. You really get that feeling of being higher up looking down on all the civilizations.

I click through it all so I can get into my game ASAP :p

haha, I did the same thing the other day because I missed Baba Yetu. I really didn't have an innocence period with Civ 4 though since I've been playing Civ for 13 years :) .. but it DID remind me of how excited I was to get a new civ game and also of Christmas for some reason ;)

Heh...I was the same way at first...never wanted to start a war of aggression...now I'm all about it...My cursor trembles over the name of my target as I repeatedly tell myself "you *must* wait 3 more turns; your last 3 units aren't quite in place!"

I like Baba Yetu myself. I don't know it just of gives me the feeling that something great is beginning especially the closing chords if you could sync it up so that once Baba Yetu ended it would go straight to Spock narrating the creation of the earth and the evolution of man it would be a perfect beginning. The BTS just doesn't cut it for me, which is odd since I like high adrenaline classical music

I got sick of Baba Yetu pretty quick, and replaced the file with an excellent version of "Let it Grow" by the Grateful Dead (5/16/1981). Highly appropriate lyrical content and sufficiently fast-paced.

Anything is better than the Lion King theme.

Agreed. Although the significance that it poses to other posters makes sense to me, I don't prefer it. It never reflected my play style or my personal style for that matter. The Tribal grimy and tough "love song" from Warlords is my pick.

Oh, and Grimus: Represent dirty Jersey

One day Grimus, Dom Pedro II, and dutchking must get together and speak of many great things... or should that be "groit"? ;)

Anyway, I would suggest if you're suffering from Civ burnout, to try a mod like TAM.

I'm dutchking. :p I use baba yetu, BTS menu sucks IMO. Where in Jersey are you Grimus? And I don't really feel bad about the AI, I mean, unless it's gandhi or FDR I don't really care, THEY'RE FAKE. :)

they're just binary code hidden behind goofy charicatures and I treat them that way.

i'd be better off if i thought that way. hatty's pout makes me feel so very guilty!

i love <3 adore baba yetu. my mother doesn't play Civ, but i sent her a link to baba yetu probably the first day i heard it, knowing she'd love it too. omg i'm turning into my mother!

i'd be better off if i thought that way. hatty's pout makes me feel so very guilty!

i love <3 adore baba yetu. my mother doesn't play Civ, but i sent her a link to baba yetu probably the first day i heard it, knowing she'd love it too. omg i'm turning into my mother!

I was going to have a DJ play it at my wedding, but we ended up going with a live band instead, unfortunately.... :)

Top Bottom