Remove Great People Era skipping

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Creation & Customization' started by Babarigo, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Babarigo

Babarigo Chieftain

Hi, for those who doesn't know, when a civ get to an era that is later to the actual great people's era, when he will be claimed every other great people will be skipped to go the one of the era of the most advanced civ.
    For exemple, I'm going to have the first great engineer but one civ is at the Industrial Era. When I'll get this great engineer from the Medieval Era, the remaining 2 of the Medieval Era and the 3 of the Renaissance Era will be skipped.
    Since the tech tree is so fast to complete and the ai (even just on emperor) got big boosts, the tech tree is just rushed and many great people are lost.
    I don't like this mechanic so I would like to know how can I remove completely the great people era skipping.
    I've tried to figure it myself by looking at the xml files but I didn't managed to find what causes this.
    I would really appreciate if somebody could help me because that's the only reason why I don't want to play on deity.
    Thanks.

2. Sbrubbles

Sbrubbles Chieftain

Wait, so if everyone stays in the same era you can get all of the GP from that era? I had no idea.

3. gyogen2

gyogen2 Emperor

Don't know if it'll help, but if you're talking about specific great people (by name) the era type is defined in the xml corresponding to their type (GREAT_PEOPLE_MERCHANTS.xml for example)

Otherwise era requirements are set in greatpeople.xml (AOE_REQUIRES_CLASSICAL_REQUIREMENTS)

If I'm answering the completely wrong question, I apologize.

4. Babarigo

Babarigo Chieftain

Yes, in my actual game Kongo has rushed industrial era resulting in the loss of 5 great engineers but now they are researching older techs so I already have 2 greats engineers of the Industrial Era and I will have James Watt in about 10 turns. That's something that should be explained in the civilopedia.

5. Babarigo

Babarigo Chieftain

Thanks for your help. I have deleted
    <Row>
    <RequirementId>AOE_REQUIRES_CLASSICAL_REQUIREMENTS</RequirementId>
    <RequirementType>REQUIREMENT_REQUIREMENTSET_IS_MET</RequirementType>
    </Row>
    and
    <Row>
    <RequirementId>AOE_REQUIRES_CLASSICAL_REQUIREMENTS</RequirementId>
    <Name>RequirementSetId</Name>
    <Value>AOE_CLASSICAL_REQUIREMENTS</Value>
    </Row>
    for every era but I haven't noticed any change. Any other idea ?

6. gyogen2

gyogen2 Emperor

Did you also check the eratype in the individual gp xmls

Spoiler example :
    <Row GreatPersonIndividualType="GREAT_PERSON_INDIVIDUAL_COLAEUS" Name="LOC_GREAT_PERSON_INDIVIDUAL_COLAEUS_NAME" GreatPersonClassType="GREAT_PERSON_CLASS_MERCHANT" EraType="ERA_CLASSICAL" Gender="M" ActionCharges="1" ActionRequiresOwnedTile="false" ActionRequiresVisibleLuxury="true"/>

each specific gp has an era also

I haven't looked to far into gps, so there is likely something I don't know about yet.

7. gyogen2

gyogen2 Emperor

I don't know if you can just delete requirements (when the game looked for them might not work properly) also with no requirements, gp could appear earlier than their era as well as later.

8. Chromanin

Chromanin Chieftain

Try changing the era type required in GreatPeople.xml like this:

<RequirementId>AOE_REQUIRES_MEDIEVAL_UNIT</RequirementId>
    <Name>EraType</Name>
    <Value>ERA_MEDIEVAL</Value>
    </Row>

<RequirementId>AOE_REQUIRES_MEDIEVAL_UNIT</RequirementId>
    <Name>EraType</Name>
    <Value>ERA_CLASSICAL</Value>
    </Row>

Do this for all the eras, so change ERA_RENAISSANCE, ERA_INDUSTRIAL etc to ERA_CLASSICAL. If it doesn't work I bet you have to change the individual eras for the great people as well in GreatPeople_whatever.xml.

9. Olleus

Olleus Deity

FYI: the base cost of great people changes with era, so setting them all the same will result in very very fast great people in the later game

10. Littlebob86

Littlebob86 Prince

I think this skipping mod is a great idea.. Why should the game be advantageous for the guy in the lead?? If they're leading and someone is struggling, the lead guy then might obviously pass on the great person, helping out the little guy!

+10 points to gryffindor for this!! ;)

11. Sbrubbles

Sbrubbles Chieftain

Hey OP are you really sure it works as you say it works? I'm in a game in which everyone is in the industrial era (I know this by looking at the bottom of the tech tree), I just grabbed James Watt GE and the next one is a modern era GE (Alvar Aalto). This shouldn't happen if it works as you say it does. James Watt was the only GE of the Industrial Era that was gotten.

12. Olleus

Olleus Deity

Maybe all the industrial era great people had gone already Sbrubbles?

13. Sbrubbles

Sbrubbles Chieftain

No, that was the only one picked out that era. Same thing happened again in modern era, here are some screenshots to show you what I mean:

Spoiler :

Me (Arabia) and Germany are the tech leaders, both in the Modern age. I just grabbed the modern era GE, and the next one that shows up is the atomic era GE. Either it's grabbing a GP from one era ahead of the leader or from one era ahead of whoever just grabbed it (I assume the former).

Btw (offtopic) I am using your pacing mod. I think it might be just a tad too slow (I can kinda build everything everywhere :p), but I really appreciate how much closer dates match up to real history.

14. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

Did you check how far civilizations progressed in the Civic Tree (aka "Purple Science"). You can switch eras from the civics trees as well so maybe someone is already in Atomic era.

15. Sotof

Sotof Chieftain

That one is for units with area of effect abilities, such as generals and admirals.

16. Lucas A.

Lucas A. Chieftain

From my experience, if the era leader is in Classical Era the next GP is from Medieval (it's easy to note with writers or merchants, since is really hard someone get one of them into the ancient era) but if the era leader is in Modern, Atomic or Info the next one could be from the same era.
    Looks like on early eras the next one is from the next era, however at later eras they can be from the same era.

17. Olleus

Olleus Deity

Ok, I *think* I've found the pattern.

When a GP is bought up, the era the next person belongs to depends on the era of the civilization who has the most points in the GP category

Locke_Daemonfire and Littlebob86 like this.
  18. Littlebob86

Littlebob86 Prince

Is there a way to maybe set it to the average ?

19. gyogen2

gyogen2 Emperor

Might be able to adjust the script in the gp pop-up. My first idea is to add a highest era check, then set the gp to that era so it will show up..
    I won't be able to do much until tonight since I have work all day, so in mean time, if anyone thinks this is bad idea, or has better one let me know.

Also, if I am completely misunderstanding the gp complaint let me know also.

Littlebob86 likes this.
  20. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

Are you sure this script is not just an UI element?
    Or do you consider "forcing" skipped great people into the screen to make them available to the player only (and not the AI as it doesn't use the UI)?