[NFP] Removing canal graphics from coastal cities

GuiSKJ

Chieftain
If there is ONE thing that I can't stand in Civ 6 was how coastal cities were changed to include canal graphics.

If this only happened to true canal cities (cities that connect two bodies of water), I wouldn't mind so much. But the whole thing is terribly broken, where normal coastal cities will have stupid canals going in and out of the same body of water. Worst still is for true canal cities where, depending on where you place a Harbour or World Wonder, the canal will get rearranged and again, you have something going in and out the same body of water.

Well, I want to change that and revert to how vanilla cities were, where there were no graphical distinctions between a coastal and inland city, (or if for all that is holly a mod already does that, please link it here), but I have no clue what to do. My mod only messes with SQL and I have tried getting my head around the ArtDef stuff, but I can't quite get it.

If anyone here has the time and patience to help me figure this out you'll not only have my eternal gratitude, but I am also willing to send some generous beer money your way.

You probably have to look into artdefs, for that case, I attach the artdefs before the canal is added, compare with the current ones.

Probably an older version than just before canals but can be sufficient for the case.

Attachments

• OriginalBeforeCanal.zip
    14.9 KB · Views: 42
You probably have to look into artdefs, for that case, I attach the artdefs before the canal is added, compare with the current ones.

Probably an older version than just before canals but can be sufficient for the case.
Thanks mate. I'll take a look. If this leads me to being able to make this change, I'll PM you for your PayPal handle.

EDIT: May I ask what made you choose the Districts and Landmark artdef files and not others? I'm just trying to gauge your confidence that the change I am looking for is for sure in one/two of these files.

Last edited:
No dice. When I do a file diff the whole thing lights up because even the things that are the same have changed position in the file, for some reason. So it is really hard to compare the before and after artdef files.

Therefore I must implore the community for any guidance. Is there any tooling that helps consume these files? Any link to tutorials on how to handle artdefs is also appreciated.

I would also love to have the canal graphic removed from coastal cities. It just hurts my eyes so much. I would appreciate it immensely if someone could help me modify it. I have some experience searching through files and tweaking numbers to adjust gameplay to my liking, but no real experience modding when it comes to graphics.I have spent a long while searching through the files mentioning canals, but to no avail.

Top Bottom