1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing Luxury Resources

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Carazycool, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Carazycool

Carazycool Warlord

It's annoying when what your city needs is housing or a district, but there's nowhere to place any neighborhoods or farms or anything because there's a whole bunch of Luxuries (dye, silk, etc.) scattered next to your city. The tile yield is not very good on many of these tiles. After the first copy, they don't provide any benefit unless you can trade them. The player should have the option to build a neighborhood or farm on top of the resource and remove the luxury resource. In the late game it would be especially useful. Also, in the early game, sometimes the luxuries completely mess up the farm adjacency bonus when farms would be much more useful than a measly plantation.

2. isau

isau Deity

My deep suspicion is in a future expansion we'll get Corporations back and multiple copies of a resource will matter.

For now though, planning around resources is just part of the game.

3. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

I tough a luxury would only provide for four cities , does the second copy allows for more cities to be supplied ? Anyway the second copy is still an item of trading.

4. cephalo

cephalo Deity

No your civ will only get benefit from one of a type of luxury. The others have to be traded away to get a benefit.

5. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

To be fair, trading benefit outstrips any other benefit that would you get by deleting the resource and putting something else in the place.

6. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

IF you can trade it

7. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I play without abundant resources and do not get this issue.
    IMO the game becomes a better challenge doing so.
    For multiple copies to be of benefit you do have to pretend to be nice to your enemies.

8. npburg

npburg Chieftain

I agree that you should be able to harvest luxury resources. Since you can harvest many other resources, I had thought you could also harvest luxury resources so in one of my first games I put down a new city two tiles from a mountain with a luxury in between. The water supply was limited but my plan was to harvest the luxury resource (which I already has plenty of other sources) and build an aqueduct to improve the housing. I was disappointed to find out you cannot harvest the luxury resources and crippled the housing for that city.

9. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

we need the Engineer from civ 2. IIRC you could make plains hills and even build canals by creating coast tiles (took a million turns though)

10. Graethyenne

Graethyenne Chieftain

This is not correct according to to what I understand. Specifically, one copy of a luxury provides 4 amenities that will be distributed to your empire (no more than one per city). However, if you have more than 4 cities, you need more than one copy of that luxury in order to provide one, say cotton, amenity to all of your cities, essentially one copy of each luxury per 4 cities. Given the importance of expansion in the Civ VI design you will likely want at least 2 copies of your luxuries if not 3-4. This is especially true in protracted wars where you are accruing war weariness, and gaining cities via capture that are more vulnerable to war weariness.

Hope that helps,

Grae

11. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

No that is false... prerelease reports were confused
    If my empire has 20 cities
    1 copy of Silk-> 1 amenity to 4 cities
    2 copies of Silk-> 1 amenity to 4 cities
    3 copies of Silk-> 1 amenity to 4 cities
    4 copies of Silk-> 1 amenity to 4 cities
    10 copies of Silk-> 1 amenity to 4 cities
    20 copies of Silk-> 1 amenity to 4 cities
    100 copies of Silk-> 1 amenity to 4 cities
    2,000 copies of Silk-> 1 amenity to 4 cities

any copies after the first one are only useful for trade

12. stiiknafuulia

stiiknafuulia King

Which is a STUPID decision... Why they stuck with the old ways when the change would've made perfect sense and resulted in a fun new experience ('luxury hoarding' as a reason for colonizing another continent), I'll never fathom. I've had ENOUGH of renewing and re-haggling inane trade deals with every AI every 30 turns... -.- To add insult to injury, they could've easily copied the monopoly mechanic from the Vox Populi mod, allowing you to amass further benefits by controlling every copy of a certain luxury in the world. Oh well, here's hoping they'll make a colonial/corporate expansion... Although I must say, I dread to think how op and unbalanced they'd possibly make the new mechanic, with the blunders that are already present in the base game.

13. Graethyenne

Graethyenne Chieftain

Weird...it sure seems like in my games grabbing second (or in some cases third) copies of luxuries has improved my amenity situation. If that is the case I guess I have to hope a modder fixes it, since that is obviously how it is supposed to work....

14. zyx

zyx Prince

I think if multiple luxuries gave multiple benefits expansion would be the only way to go. By limiting the benefit for 1 copy only, building only four good cities could be an alternative route to go.
    As entertainment districts ( or certain improvements therein ) give amenities to all cities within a range of six tiles, the door for expansion is wide open already.

Don't know if harvesting luxuries is a good thing, but being able to build a district on top would have given me great tiles for those.

I once wanted to build a wonder on a tile and later in the game I revisited and saw a niter or coal resource on that tile. I don't know whether the wonder never was build or construction stopped when the strategic resource showed up.
    Anyway luxury and strategic resources interfering with your cityplaning is something I don't like. Because you can build cities everywhere - except water and mountains - so why am I not allowed to build districts on tiles with certain resources? That doesn't make any sense to me.

15. Graethyenne

Graethyenne Chieftain

Nope, I was definitely wrong, my apologies (paid closer attention this time). Though I also paid closer attention to my amenity management situation and even with 9 cities, I was able to cop so maybe I was a little quick to say it *should* be the other way.