1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Renaissance-era Building

Discussion in 'Strategy Section' started by CrabHelmet, Jul 30, 2018.

1. CrabHelmet

CrabHelmet King

Several patches back I used to be a consistent Deity player, but I think I rested very heavily on the crutch of being good at the early game, and slingshotting upwards. Since the balance patch that added the new difficulty scalers, I've been knocked back to Immortal, and even then I really struggle.

I've been trying to analyze my play to figure out why, and I come to the same conclusion: my early game is still really good. It falls apart roughly about Renaissance. What's happening is I start teching faster than I can start building, and I get hit by decision overload - I'll settle a new city, and when I have Amphipheatre, Arena, Barracks, Council, Granary, Herbalist, Market, Monument, Shrine, etc., I'm not able to meaningfully compare them very well. I don't face this problem in the early-game because the pool of possible choices at any given time is much smaller and you normally have much more imminent goals (settle here, put military units there), whereas by midgame your goals are start stretching beyond the immediate horizon. By late-game, if I've survived that long, there's usually one obvious win condition I know to pursue.

So basically: how do you decide what to build when settling new cities or building up underdeveloped ones when you have so many possible choices?

2. CppMaster

CppMaster Emperor

Production > Food > Wall/Castle if it's risky > Science/Culture > Faith > Gold
    Production and Food first, so I can build all buildings faster. That also depend on terrain, because some building will give more yields with certain resources.

3. LukaSlovenia29

LukaSlovenia29 Emperor

Unless I'm faced with a dire need for something (defense, supply,...), my rough guide (that can change depending on terrain, religious beliefs,...) is to focus on production-giving buildings (workshops, arenas w/ barracks, forges and armories,...) first and foremost, then buildings that unlock national wonders, followed by banks (to gain science by purchasing units&investing in buildings), followed by culture giving buildings, followed by science buildings, and lastly by gold-giving buildings. As for faith&defense buildings, it depends on the religious&strategic situation.

But that's my style of play (I prefer to play wide, usually progress-fealty-industry, with usually winning on Immortal), so yours might dictate another approach. So maybe it'd be best if you wrote a bit more about your preferred style of play, usual policy decisions etc., and then we can help you more.

4. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

Chanceries can be a really powerful building in newer or newly conquered cities. +10 hammers if you have 5 allies, its cheaper and often more production than workshops or windmills.

5. CrabHelmet

CrabHelmet King

I think I get sidetracked building Councils because they have the bonus science for Pop growth, so they seem valuable for me straight away rather than delaying them. I also tend to prioritize Granaries and Aqueducts as I'm usually feeling pretty pressured by my low POP compared to other Civs by that stage in the game. Then I go Production.

I wouldn't say I have an overly specific playstyle. I tend to go Authority-Fealty-Industry on higher difficulty levels as I can keep level better with an early conquest.