Renaissance walls

oPunchDrunko

Prince
Have any of you guys had trouble taking down Renaissance walls while in the Renaissance era?

In my recent game I went to war with Rome and I brought a corp bombard, army bombard and about 6 infantry and I had the military advantage. I went for Rome and surrounded it with 4 infantry along with my bombards. My infantry did absolutely nothing to the walls and they were a corps. Same thing with my bombards... they only took off 15 points from the 300 strength walls. I had to retreat because it was just impossible to take Rome.

I’m On my way to bring 3 army artillery to try again and hope that works.

Do you have any advice? Is it even possible to bring down Ren walls until you reach artillery?

No. Renaissance walls and then “steel walls” are way too overpowered. You need army artillery’s or bombers. The bombard, in my experience is one of the weakest units in the game because they line up with renaissance walls tech. You could try to get a zeppelin but it won’t change the damage it does too much. So you’ll end up shooting the same city for 37 turns. It is annoying, boring and not effecient. It is the worst time in the game for taking down cities

Melee attacks get a 85% damage penalty when attacking walls iirc. So infantry is quite inefficient to take down walls. Ranged units who are NOT part of the siege promotion class get a 50% penalty against walls and also -17 against cities so these are not good either.
What you can do is
- pillage everyt district in the city you are attacking, each district adds additional strength to the city that is lost once the district itself is pillaged (this also provides nice yields, dont forget the raid policy card)
- keep the city under siege so it cant heal back up
- bring ALOT of siege units and level them to the +10 against districts and +1 range
- make sure to get a great general for your bombards
- make sure to use a spy to increase your diplomatic visibility

If you are lucky and Akkad is in the game you can get suzerainty to remove the penalty from melee and antikav units against walls.

Top Bottom