Renaming barbarian cities

cool3a2

Deity
This will sound like a stupid question, I wondered myself that things didn't work as expected.For my Hungary mod, I try to rename the barbarian city called Magyar as it would look kind of strange if there is Hungary and Magyar at the same time. So I added the following lines to my Hungary mods text file:
<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MAGYAR</Tag>
<English>Magna Hungaria</English>
<French>
<Text>Magna Hungaria</Text>
<Gender>Male</Gender>
<Plural>0</Plural>
</French>
<German>
<Gender>Male</Gender>
<Plural>0</Plural>
</German>
<Italian>
<Gender>Female</Gender>
<Plural>0</Plural>
</Italian>
<Spanish>
<Gender>Female</Gender>
<Plural>0</Plural>
</Spanish>
<Hungarian>Magna Hungaria</Hungarian>
</TEXT>
... hoping that Magyar would be called Magna Hungaria from now on. Yet no change takes place. I mean, I placed a ton of Barbarian cities onto the map and Magyar gets used and although there are cities called Dresden already (which is from the german citylist), there is no Magna Hungaria. The text files don't use any schema file and if I remember correctly :old:, even in pre-BtS times, it was possible to add a textfile containing only new portions of texts that was loaded properly. So I guess modular loading rules don't work here. I could now make a modular CivilizationInfos file for the barbarians where I exclude the city Magyar from the citylist. But that's kind of dirty. If I'd have a second civ with same issue, like Saxony or the Huns, and I want to merge the mods, I'd have to mess with the barbs each time, not to mention that someone else might miss the changes, therefor not merging the barbs properly. So it would be cleaner just to rename the cities. Can someone think of a workaround or something? If it helps, I'm already using WoC Lite, so if WoC might use some features that might help, they might be available already.

You could add an entry in CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml under the Barbarian Civ like this:

<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MAGNA_HUNGARIA</City>

You have to make a label:

Code:
<TEXT>
        <Tag>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MAGNA_HUNGARIA</Tag>
        <English>Magna Hungaria</English>
</TEXT>
Barbarian City called Magna Hungaria should show up after a while...

Thanks, Arian, that's what I was roughly thinking of when saying 'making a modular CivilizationInfos file...'. But it's true, I stated to exclude the city from the list in that file, in my initial post. Yet, no matter if I exclude the city or change the label, the problem I have with this method, persists: I'd have to provide sort of a modular barb civ needing extra work when merging two mods. Not a huge work, but ugly and seems to be over the top for such a simple thing. My feeling is though, that this is the only method possible.

What you said, Arian, is true, I just tried it out. Yet the actual problem persists: the city called Magyar still occurs.

Question: Are any other content in your mod? Because it almost seems like the files you're editing aren't even loaded... Describe your mod in greater detail.

Just remove

<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MAGYAR</City>

from the list in CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml under the Barbarian Civ.
Good riddance with those annoying Magyars
I already renamed it to Magna Hungaria in the CivilizationInfos file. There is no city called Magyar in the barbarians citylist anymore.

Question: Are any other content in your mod? Because it almost seems like the files you're editing aren't even loaded... Describe your mod in greater detail.
Well, I'm pretty sure things are loaded. The city Magna Hungaria occurs now, so the civilizationinfos file seems to be loaded. Yet a city called MAgyar is also there. Anyways, I'll tell you what I have in my mod. Basically, the mod adds a new civ, Hungary, to the game. So there is a directory for Hungary and another one for the Barbarians in the modules folder. The Hungary module gets loaded properly as all the things I wanted to add are there. As I said, the Barbarian module also seems to be loaded. Besides of those modules, I have some more files that are not modular like citylsystem or plotlsystem for improvements and citysets as well as sound files. Worth mentioning is certainly the dll which is the so-called Paprika modcomp that I made myself. That modcomp consists of WoC Lite plus some features to have unique building art loaded modular through a new xml similar to how units artstyles work. Finally, I have a new background for my mod.

If I remember correctly, WoC is able to have only lines of a whole entry (like a property of a building) loaded modular, so you would need to give only the line about a bonus that you'd like to alter. Yet I never modded this ways, so I give whole entries for all objects like buildings and so on. Still, it could be that the line for the city called Magyar is still there this ways. That would describe why both cities occur now...

Top Bottom