Renaming cities

7EA

Chieftain
The other day I wanted to play some Civ1 (haven't played for a long time). I usually go with the Amiga version (using an emulator), but I didn't want to deal with the loading times so I decided to use the DOS version (using DOSBox).

I noticed that I couldn't rename cities in the DOS version. In the Amiga version there is a rename button right next to the exit button in the city view.

Is this just because I'm using an older (unpatched) DOS version or did the DOS version never have a rename option?

Version .05 certainly has it, maybe some earlier versions too, but .01 doesn't.

Ok, thanks.

I was reading through the Civ1 FAQ:

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ1/faq/civfaq2.php

Even though the link for the patch is broken I managed to find the civv05.zip on another site.
When extracted, is it just supposed to be one file named CIV.EXE? Should I just copy that into my Civ1 folder (it seems I have version 475.01)?

I just tried putting the CIV.EXE in the Civ1 folder and the game runs fine, and It says that it's version 475.05. I'm able to rename cities now.

I also got the sound driver update, so now the game sounds as nice as the Amiga version. I'm one happy gamer. :)

The other day I wanted to play some Civ1 (haven't played for a long time). I usually go with the Amiga version (using an emulator), but I didn't want to deal with the loading times so I decided to use the DOS version (using DOSBox).

In my experience the Amiga version is inferior. The random maps are not random, or even pseudo random if you want to be pedantic about the word "random", but will be the same every time you play the same leader.

Just to confirm, the v5 "update" in its original form is indeed just the exe file. Well maybe a readme (which I don't recall) or something but definitely no other data files.

i wonder, where can i get that patch this days?

Head on to the Apolyton site. It has this patch and some more files under the Civ1 download section.

I check it and od DOSbox version:
Civ475.1 dont have rename button.
civ474.3 and civ474.4 have rename button.

Solution?
Copy your game save to catalog lower version but you remember if you play an Emperor difficulty about "unhappy bonus" in lower version:
Then meybe load save on lower version, change city name, save game and come back to version 475.1

Top Bottom