Renaming cities

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by 7EA, May 11, 2012.

1. 7EA

7EA Chieftain

The other day I wanted to play some Civ1 (haven't played for a long time). I usually go with the Amiga version (using an emulator), but I didn't want to deal with the loading times so I decided to use the DOS version (using DOSBox).

I noticed that I couldn't rename cities in the DOS version. In the Amiga version there is a rename button right next to the exit button in the city view.

Is this just because I'm using an older (unpatched) DOS version or did the DOS version never have a rename option?

2. Mize

Mize Prince

Version .05 certainly has it, maybe some earlier versions too, but .01 doesn't.

3. 7EA

7EA Chieftain

Ok, thanks.

I was reading through the Civ1 FAQ:

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ1/faq/civfaq2.php

Even though the link for the patch is broken I managed to find the civv05.zip on another site.
    When extracted, is it just supposed to be one file named CIV.EXE? Should I just copy that into my Civ1 folder (it seems I have version 475.01)?

4. 7EA

7EA Chieftain

I just tried putting the CIV.EXE in the Civ1 folder and the game runs fine, and It says that it's version 475.05. I'm able to rename cities now.

I also got the sound driver update, so now the game sounds as nice as the Amiga version. I'm one happy gamer. :)

5. Petrus Octavian

Petrus Octavian Chieftain

In my experience the Amiga version is inferior. The random maps are not random, or even pseudo random if you want to be pedantic about the word "random", but will be the same every time you play the same leader.

6. Whelkman

Whelkman Phantom Taxman

Just to confirm, the v5 "update" in its original form is indeed just the exe file. Well maybe a readme (which I don't recall) or something but definitely no other data files.

7. maizotome

maizotome Chieftain

i wonder, where can i get that patch this days?

8. loopinaloop

loopinaloop Chieftain

Head on to the Apolyton site. It has this patch and some more files under the Civ1 download section.

9. Whelkman

Whelkman Phantom Taxman

They have the sound patch, too.

10. ChiefSparkY

ChiefSparkY Warlord

11. loopinaloop

loopinaloop Chieftain

I never use the sound patch because I like how it sounded before. Nostalgia perhaps.