Renaming conquered cities

Radu_Magus

Warlord
Something I wish was present in Civ was the possibility to rename a conquered city to the name of the next city you would build. This was a very common practice in history. I mean, I know you can edit the name, but it's not the same. Then it could cause temporary unhappiness in the city, and if the other Civ retook it, it could change it back to its original name. I think it would be a nice touch to the game. Any opinions?

Something I wish was present in Civ was the possibility to rename a conquered city to the name of the next city you would build. This was a very common practice in history. I mean, I know you can edit the name, but it's not the same. Then it could cause temporary unhappiness in the city, and if the other Civ retook it, it could change it back to its original name. I think it would be a nice touch to the game. Any opinions?

This could be interesting... it definitely has historical value, but it could just have a button like "Rename And Annex" where it could pick a random name from your city list, and just as you said, it would change back if liberated.

Also, it doesn't make sense historically to have a separate Byzantium, Constantinople, and Istanbul, it would make sense if they implemented this. But maybe not the happiness decrease though, I don't think anyone really cared when New Amsterdam became New York or when "Constantinople" was officially renamed Istanbul.

Funny thing, this is exactly what I had in my mind when I woke up this morning. And now there is a topic about it. :D

Exactly what I have been wishing for!

We can do this already.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Dig out the city list from game files, jot them down on a piece of paper and then do the renaming whenever you conquer a city.

e: if the original owner reconquers it and renames it back to its original name, then reconquer it and change its name back. There, presto.

Dig out the city list from game files, jot them down on a piece of paper and then do the renaming whenever you conquer a city.

e: if the original owner reconquers it and renames it back to its original name, then reconquer it and change its name back. There, presto.

Yeah, but it's not the same, and it's a lot of work. Also, I think if you build a new city, it will have the same name.

But maybe not the happiness decrease though, I don't think anyone really cared when New Amsterdam became New York or when "Constantinople" was officially renamed Istanbul.

Well, it's something small, I only suggested it because people usually don't like name changes. I remember when I went to St. Petersburg and how some people still called it Leningrad, refusing to use the new (actually old) name.

I once played the British and renamed my civ details to the Holy Britannian Empire. I proceeded to rename cities based on the civ they were conquered from (Japanese cities were obvious Area 11 I, II, III, IV etc.)

But yeah it would be nice to do this. Would make the game field look a bit cleaner by the end.

Top Bottom