renaming the modern era

Ice Wolf

Chieftain
The modern era could be called the information era, communication era, the space age, post-cold war era or the computer age.

Main Points

1. In the future, the modern era will not be called the modern era but one of the above or something similar.

2. The people who lived in the Medieval era were living in the modern era at their times and no conception of being in the middle was there.

3. Something could arise that we are not aware of that would give us the name of our era/period like the Renaissance (sometimes people can figure the name of their era when this happens).

Yes, however the 'Modern Era' refers to how technologically advanced we are in real life during the present as opposed to the renaissance in the past or 'transhuman era' in the future.

post-cold war era

Implies there was a major cold war. In all of my games when 2 super powers are pissed at each other they generally go at it

I think the most logical term to call the trans-modern to "next era" would be "globalism era" since communication, corporation, government and military, etc, etc, etc slowly become a one entity eliminating nationalism and other previous social concepts (and that would be pretty complicated to do on Civ 4 me thinks).

The Atomic era was the 60-70's. I believe our era is better characterized by the rise of the Internet.

Although internet is a very important tool in modern times, it is just an (highly) unrestricted tool of mass communication and data flow. But it would have never come to be without other determining fabrics of mankind's mentality in todays times. Mind you the internet is highly censored in many parts of the world. So it doesn't yet serve on a global scale.

slowly become a one entity eliminating nationalism and other previous social concepts (and that would be pretty complicated to do on Civ 4 me thinks).

I replicate this all the time on Civ4, it's called a "Conquest Victory." :lol:

Although internet is a very important tool in modern times, it is just an (highly) unrestricted tool of mass communication and data flow. But it would have never come to be without other determining fabrics of mankind's mentality in todays times. Mind you the internet is highly censored in many parts of the world. So it doesn't yet serve on a global scale.

I suppose, but Atomic age sounds too much like the 60's, when they planned on having atomic toasters within the decade...

Anyway, I don't really see any major issue with the "modern era" name. Technically, speaking, we are in the Contemporary Era, or Post-Modern, whichever you prefer. I'm not sure what our current times will be called in the future, if there is a future at all, but I don't really have to much of an issue with the current naming system.

Modern Era is fine since it implies that it covers both the Atomic Era (1945-1980) and the Information Era (1980-Now and the near future).

Maybe the other solution is to change the name of the future era, once again, to Post-Modern era. Although I admit I like cr0ws post about the "globalism era."

Yeah, but there already is a technology called "Globalization", so it would start to be redundant. Also, that reminds me. For a RoM easter egg (of sorts), the CivicInfos.xml file has a Civic Called "Globalism" that is commented out. I'm not sure why...

I vote for "Information Era" too. The Information Age is by far the most common term I've heard to describe the era we are in now. I think "Modern Era" is only a useful term used within the era while it's in progress; I doubt there is any chance future generations will look back on this time and refer to it as the Modern Era, I imagine a more subjective term will be found. I guess "Digital Era" would also fit for similar reasons.

I also prefer to keep it modern for the old civ feeling but if it HAD to change, I'd vote for Digital Era since everything from a simple letter to talking to playing games, even shopping can be done on the computer. Also during the 60s-80s there was the rise of game booths, the building sized computer with a couple dozen bytes of memory, the CD, DVD and eventually the internet. They all revolutionized the way the world thinks and communicates.

Yeah, but there already is a technology called "Globalization", so it would start to be redundant. Also, that reminds me. For a RoM easter egg (of sorts), the CivicInfos.xml file has a Civic Called "Globalism" that is commented out. I'm not sure why...

Good point. I noticed "Globalism" also. My guess is that it was planned at one point and Zap could not find a good place to fit it in. I hope he does include it as an "early" Future Civic as an alternative (Economy-Trade Routes/Yield, Commerce) to Supremacy.

Top Bottom