1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rep Hits

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Lorax, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Lorax

Lorax Chieftain

Not sure I completely understand them.....

I went up to a border of another civ crossed it and when they demanded I remove troops or declare war - I declared war....

Now, all the civs hate me and one who was very friendly towards me indicated this statement when I asked for a ROP: "I am sorry but you used a ROP to attack & destroy the Celts"

Well, I did NOT have a ROP with the Celts. I just did the very same thing the AI Civs do to me - they trod upon my territory all game long - they declare war outside my city - while in my territory....
    Something isnt fair here....I have never recovered from this rep hit and I decalred war prior to attacking anyone....

Also - If you are in a MPP and after some war sign peace while the other civ is still at war - do you get a rep hit? I sure know I have moral dilemma from one.....I signed for peace after making ground thru the opponents territory and the warring civ went and destroyed my MPP partners cities - I felt bad and reclaimed all their cities and gave them back to them - but they still dont like me anymore :( - And I cant blame them, stupid Russians are very ruthless....

2. wilbill

wilbill That Old Time Religion

Any time you start a war while you have troops inside the AI territory, it's treated as an ROP rape.

3. Lorax

Lorax Chieftain

Interesting - so Egypt & Russia trod on my territory all game long - I want ot go to war with them - if I force them to remove or declare war - and they decalre war - THEY get the rep hit?

4. lbhhh

lbhhh King

That's how it works all right.

5. Grille

Grille panel insect

In theory, you would not get a rep hit by just signing peace while you have a MPP in place. At least this action would not necessarily lead to a rep hit, but you probably get a rep hit as consequence of peace treaty breaking:
    If you sign peace, you have an 'active' and currently irredeemable peace deal (has numbers in brackets on active deals tab) with one civ and a MPP (possibly 'active' plus a currently irredeemable type of treaty as well) with another civ.

Guess what happens if your MPP is triggered again?
    You declare war and take a rep hit for peace treaty breaking.

Now all that isn't a big deal as long as you know how the reputation system works.:)

6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Check out Bamspeedy's primer on diplomacy and reputation. It will change forever how you deal with the AI.

Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION III > Civ3 - Strategy & Tips > Civ3 Strategy Articles > AI attitude

7. Grille

Grille panel insect

Birdjaguar,
    just don't confuse attitude and reputation. These are different things. Attitude is the "furious...gracious" status that you see under the foreign leader's pic when you enter negotiations (figured out for each civ individually), reputation is the ability to sign certain deals (acts worldwide as long as contacts have spread). Reputation is more or less either "spotless" or "trashed". If your reputation is trashed, you get results like Lorax did: he could not sign a ROP anymore - it does not matter if that other civ is gracious or not.
    OTOH, it's no way problematic to sign certain deals with furious civs as long as your rep is clean.
    You can even get an attitude boost in the process of trashing your reputation.