1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Repair & Recruits at high seas / in the wilderness

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by GS_Guderian, Nov 3, 2018.

1. GS_Guderian

GS_Guderian Chieftain

Another issue I like to mention:

Right now every unit can heal itself everywhere, simply by standing still.

This leads to endless scouting missions or exploring ships never seeing a friendly settlement from basically round 1 to the last black hole being explored.

Even after receiving damage from wild animals, angry natives or wheather conditions no unit has to return to be overhauled.

Could it be possible that ships can only be repaired to e.g. 2/3 of their HP in high seas and maybe to ~ 80% in coastal provinces (maybe only close to wood tiles) to represent the limitations of improvised repairs. Only appropriate docks where the individual ships are build can repair to 100%.

For units I feel it should not be possible to gain fresh recruits hundreds and hundreds of miles away from own cities. Maybe refilling to more than 50% could only work within a minimum range to own cultural borders depending on map size.
    (Of course people could simply found towns with their dmg scouts. This could be adressed by denying them founding cities while beging assigned as scout?)

ConjurerDragon likes this.
  2. CptBadger

CptBadger Chieftain

I agree with the healing range idea if it's feasible. I disagree with blocking scouts from making towns. I've used scouts to quickly locate and build a town at specific resources. Even a damaged scout unit could start a town, how many settlements were started by groups that took losses and could go no further? Unnecessarily restrictive.

3. GS_Guderian

GS_Guderian Chieftain

I just see the problem of „cheating“ your way out of a potential healing restriction.

Maybe a „only 100% units can found cities“, is a better solution.

Aside:
    Conquistadors could get freed from this restriction to make them more worthwhile in early game and to resemble the merging with native allies in conquests of Middle and South America.

4. CptBadger

CptBadger Chieftain

I see it as not really cheating. And if conquistadors can meld with native allies, why the heck can't scouts (who didn't conquer natives as a primary function)?

Scouts, wounded or damaged units, often set up settlements, even for just months or years, till they recovered/rebuipt

5. GS_Guderian

GS_Guderian Chieftain

I meant the healing possibility for Conquistadors,
    not the founding of cities.

CptBadger likes this.
  6. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

I've been thinking about this as well. There are really 2 schools here between those who like it this way and those who don't feel it atmospheric. What should matter the most is how changing this would be handled in terms of gameplay, both from a Human and an AI point of view.

Personally, I've always found unrealistic the fact a unit can go through huge areas of jungle, desert or snow without any problem. It would make sense, for a more realistic feel, to make it harder to explore those areas. The Amazon forest has long been accessible only from rivers and it was just impossible to walk through deeper into it because of the thickness of bushes.

An idea for this could be to inflict damages to units getting into jungle, desert and snow tiles, but that would make sense only if there wouldn't be such damage on river or road tiles. Pioneers should be immune from damage though otherwise it would be impossible to build roads making those tiles accessible to other units. Furthermore, it would require adapting pathfinding so that the games would know it's supposed to avoid harmful tiles. There are probably many other side effects that would need to be thought about to make such a change really playable. It could be an interesting approach for more realism, but I don't know if that would make the game funnier.

I'd be curious to hear about the opinions of others on this.

ConjurerDragon likes this.
  7. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Chieftain Supporter

I'm leaning toward keeping the current system because teaching the AI to handle anything mentioned in this thread could quickly become time consuming, not to mention tricky to get bug free. We do not have unlimited man hours and have to make a priority instead of jumping on anything, which sounds like a nice addition.

8. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Yes, that's what I've been thinking as well in digging up the implications of the idea. Without denying the unrealistic nature of endless scouting missions, I'm not even convinced trying to restrict this would really serve the gameplay.

CptBadger likes this.
  9. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Just a thought, ROM AND2 uses terrain damage for units unless the appropriate promo for is had for the unit. As for scouts being able to set up a town, maybe at a future date, scouts could be used to set up a trading post. Scouts/Mountain Men did this frequently during the seasons in order to trade surplus goods with natives and other Colonial powers.

CptBadger likes this.