1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Repeatable crash when abandoning rebellious cities

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by cakedaemon, Jun 21, 2018.

1. cakedaemon

cakedaemon Chieftain

Oh boy, was finding this one probably a fluke! :D

First, a bit of background: I've recently won a war against the Egyptian Empire, who was sending disguised attack units like Warlord Captains and the like over the border to kill my workers, probably because of one of earlier conflicts. Annexing a row of some four or so cities, most of them were easy to integrate into my empire even if it did bleed my cash reserves buying some buildings to ease them in, but two of them had major rebellious issues due to crime levels. Their crime building had been made obsolete when I annexed the city, but eneemy culture still surrounded the city, which meant it had no hammers or food production and starved down and had a ton of other issues during which the crime level skyrocketed out of control and popped out crime units. You know how it is. After I razed a few more enemy cities to cause their culture to retract and vassalized their empire for that juicy golden age from the Reichstag wonder, two of the conquered cities began to immediately rebel, and did indeed revolt before I crushed the rebellion only to end up facing another a couple of turns later. Fed up and unable to tackle the crime issues in one of the cities, I abandoned the city, used the settler that came with it and plopped an entirely new city on a tile right next to the old, giving it a fresh start without any crime to ruin the city and allowing me to instantly buy a policestation to put crime safely in the minuses.

Then a few turns later, the other city started to revolt, and I tried the exact same thing, got an error in the log...

...and a crash the moment the turn ended.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Play a game with the Revolutions mod enabled.
    2. Find a city that is about to rebel - it doesn't need to be only at high revolt risk, it needs to have fired the warning message that the city will revolt in the next couple of turns.
    3. Abandon the city at the start of the turn, then go around business as usual; you'll have an error in the dialogue box in the top middle, but the game will continue.
    4. The game will crash the moment the last unit has been dealt with. Alternatively, abandon the city at the end of the turn after all units have been done and the game will crash immediately after the button is pressed.

If that doesn't do it, I can upload a save with the issue isolated - every time I try to abandon the city and end the turn the game crashes, but not abandoning the city allows the turn to proceed..

Suggested solution: Maybe make it impossible to abandon cities that are about to rebel? :p

Version is latest SVN, in case anyone is wondering!

2. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

@cakedaemon upload save, so they can check this bug easily.

Are you using Toffer's interface overhaul modmod?

3. cakedaemon

cakedaemon Chieftain

Will do! Save's attached to this post, and the city in question is Avaris in Africa; just abandon that city and go through the rest of the turn and the game should crash at turn end or immediately if there are no more units to deal with.

Yep, but this is the updated version for the latest SVN, because I know the exact crash you're thinking of since I posted about it before :p

Attached Files:

raxo2222 and KaTiON_PT like this.
  4. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

My modmod might be the culprit...
    Raxo, I would appreciate it if you took the time to check his repeatable crash without my modmod, but do try to get it to crash first with my modmod just to make sure that the crash actually is repeatable on your system.

The PythonErr.log file might be all I need to fix the issue, so see if it contains anything after the crash. ^^

5. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

I tested save - it processed turn normally.

I recalculated modifiers though

Or somehow abadoned other city :p
    Got error after razing city, that got rev popup, and game crashed.
    Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2018-06-21 18-09-40-97.jpg Civ4BeyondSword 2018-06-21 18-09-46-51.jpg

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "BugEventManager", line 360, in _handleDefaultEvent
    File "CvEventManager", line 423, in onModNetMessage
    RuntimeError: unidentifiable C++ exception

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  6. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Seems to be related to my modmod, I'll debug the error soon.

raxo2222 likes this.
  7. cakedaemon

cakedaemon Chieftain

That's not the right city; the one I was abandoning was to the west of it, but it seems you've got the crash anyway! :p

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I may also look into this over the weekend unless Toffer confirms it's certainly his modmod at fault.

9. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Confirmed and Fixed.

raxo2222 likes this.
  10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog