1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacement Civ: Great Britain

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by Mozza, Jul 31, 2006.

1. dazman92

dazman92 Gabba Gabba Hey!

this looks great, even though i'm from NY, I'll download it anyway.

2. Axil

Axil Prince

lol I think that (can't think of enough bad words to describe her and don't want to be banned) woman had a bias against anyone living outside the SE of England.
    I was a teenager during her depotism (nothing democratic about her) and though i will give her at least the credit of sticking to her own twisted agenda she pretty much destroyed most of the traditional industries in Wales and destroyed most of the communities as well

3. RealPhenom

RealPhenom Chieftain

yeah u gotta keep in mind that most of us Yanks across the pond over here wont know those kinds of differences between GB and england. all u people look alike to us anyway. ahahahahaha (joke on asians)

4. Delta

Delta Chieftain

Well why nurture their ignorance? I agree that it should be the British in it from the start.

5. RealPhenom

RealPhenom Chieftain

because cricket is the best sport ever

6. Mozza

Mozza Prince

It is an England civ though, not just the name. All the cities are English, the Leaders are English, the flag is English

Also the city list is clearly based in medieval England (when it was still an independant country), ie York and Nottingham coming before Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool etc.

Anyway, I've been away for a while (coincidentally since Football Manager 2007 came out) but I intend to update this mod soon.

7. SWETBANG

SWETBANG Chieftain

I think the main reason it's called "england" is because it is actually an English civ.

Americans might be confused because the ones who founded the first North American cities, and captured New Amsterdam and renamed it New York was the English, when England was an independent country. England was colonizing parts of the world before it's union with Scotland.

8. Hian the Frog

Hian the Frog TR Designer and XML

Hello the Brit,

It's a FRENCH guy that write ! Beware ! ;)
    Nice mod. Why not a few new leaders ? As one of the Pitt (i hate them ;) )
    Nevertheless, it's a good mod. It could become a greater one with a few add-ons. (Naval units, famous colonial troops,....)

Hian the Frog.

9. Mozza

Mozza Prince

I think that translates slightly better than you intended.

My dad's cousin traced our family tree and believes we are descended from Pitt the Elder, but I wont take offence. I intend to have ship names and some more regiment names in the next version. Also reskins for several units, and the addition of the Greenjackets (probably replacing Grenadiers). I'm not sure about additional Leaders, as there are plenty in there already, though I'm not totally adverse to the idea. I want to tweak the ones that are there though as some feel a liittle rushed.

10. anglosaxon

anglosaxon Monarch

I'll just say one thing about Maggie Thatcher: if you guys all hate her so much, and she was soooo unpopular, then how come she got elected 3 times?

Clearly she must have done something right?

And why was she a 'murderous whore'? It seems to me that the Scots hated her because she was English among other things: but then we'll get our own back on you Scots, because most Englanders don't like Gordon Brown!

11. Mozza

Mozza Prince

I was born in 1979, just after Thatcher came to power. Her policies of reducing public spending meant that my father, who was a Tradesman and thus quite well off by working class standards had to work seven days per week for much of my childhood. I can only imagine how bad things must have been for lower income families. My generation have the highest suicide rates in British history, I believe due to the fact that their parents could not be with them during their formative years. Margaret Thatcher has innocent blood on her hands and when the old ***** dies there will be a party accross the land she ruined. And for the record it's not just the Scots who hate Thatcher, and they don't hate her because she's English, they hate her because she's evil. I am English and I hate her. She won elections because the British press are controlled by the wealthy elite and the Britsh electorate fall for their lies time and time again.

Anyway, this mod is about the good things in Britain, not the bad, thus no Thatcher, and no Cromwell.

12. Captin-Cymru!

Captin-Cymru! Chieftain

Hi all, this is my first post so be gentle!:eek:

I happen to think this is a very nice idea, it's probably the first thing a Brit notices about the Civ games, England and the Clets . I always thought its a nice way of doing it becouse you can keep the England vs Celts thing (which accounts for about 1100 years of our history) and you don't get even more Eurocentric by filling the map with the Nations of Europe.

As for Mrs Thatcher, My Dad used to work for British Coal, I can remember as a toddler people giving us wooden tables and chairs to use as Fuel, and even buying us food! I thought it was a great time but as I grew up I realised what had happened, why I couldn't stay at home if I wanted a decent wage, why the town I grew up in had 65% Male unimployment.

On the upside, I believe It drove me to try and understand more about the world, market forces, political theory, even geology.

As a result I don't feel she should be there

There you go...
    Rant over with!!

13. Chopper_Dave

Chopper_Dave Chieftain

How about Benjamin Disraeli? or Henry V?

This thread seems to have turned into debate for new leaders.

14. Mozza

Mozza Prince

I know, which is surprising considering when I released it, I was nervous that I'd put too many leaders in.

15. teccuk

teccuk Lurker Extrordinaire

This is great. Thanks!

I would of personally had King Arthur as a leader as he's one person all three countries can agree on :king:. But ignore me...

16. shocky

shocky Chieftain

Any chance of this being updated for BTS?

17. keiren

keiren Chieftain

plz would u make this mod for normal civ 4 also as i am brit and would love to use this mod

18. Zoot06

Zoot06 Chieftain

Fine work, but could you help a Noob on how to install it porperly? tia!

19. Gwil

Gwil Warlord

Back to the Edinburgh - Glasgow debate for a minute, having studied History and particularly Enlightenment and the Atlantic world at the height of the British empire, I can state hand on heart Edinburgh MUST go above Glasgow.

In historical terms of the British empire it was a key city for science, economics and philosophy - even on the world stage its importance cannot be underplayed. Glasgow has industrial (or had) might but this counts only for the second half of the Victorian era, IMO.

As Wonkypedia puts it:

20. Mozza

Mozza Prince

There's a few reasons I didn't include him, such as him being anti-English, being French, and not existing.

I would love to. Just need to get BTS then I can have a go.

I think I still have the pre-Warlords version, I'll check and let you know

If you drop the Great Britain folder into your Warlords - Mods folder, then start the game and select Mods it should work fine

I agree. I considered it a valid debate, but I think all in all Edinburgh should stay top.