1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Report: 'Alleged' White House spy caught

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cassius Maius, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Cassius Maius

Cassius Maius Chieftain

Taken from: http://www.sciencedaily.com/ - Alleged White House spy caught

WASHINGTON, Oct. 5 - An alleged spy worked at the White House for nearly three years, most recently on the staff of Vice President Dick Cheney, ABC News reported Wednesday.

Officials identified the alleged spy as Leandro Aragoncillo, 46, a former U.S. Marine, the network said.

ABC said the FBI caught Aragoncillo last year, after he left the Marines and began working for the FBI at an intelligence center at Fort Monmouth, N.J.

Federal investigators told ABC that Aragoncillo, a naturalized citizen from the Philippines, used his top secret clearance to steal classified intelligence documents from White House computers. The network quoted officials as saying Aragoncillo has confessed to stealing classified information from Cheney's office, including damaging dossiers on the president of the Philippines, which he allegedly passed on to opposition politicians planning a coup in the Philippines.

Aragoncillo worked on the staff of then-Vice President Al Gore in 2000, when he told a Philippine TV interviewer Philippine employees were valued at the White House.

"I think what they like most is our integrity and loyalty," Aragoncillo said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if this is a duplicate post. But I didn't see any posts about it.

I think it's pretty shocking that we caught a spy in the white house :rolleyes:

2. FearlessLeader2

FearlessLeader2 Fundamentalist Loon

One wonders if he was a spy at all, but rather a convenient scapegoat for dissipating political backlash from the US's surreptitious attempts to get rid of Arroyo by giving her opponents some damaging info on her.

3. amadeus

amadeus Civ2 / Law and Order!

If Arroyo did rig the elections, I can't blame him.

4. ummmm........

ummmm........ Extremely normal.

Isn't that Cal's quarterback?

5. h4ppy

h4ppy You sir, pineapple?

Actually he was a spy in Fort Monmouth when he was caught. (isn't this also the name of a fort in Morrowind?)

6. Bronx Warlord

Bronx Warlord Squad Leader

Hang him, traitor scum.

7. JohnRM

JohnRM Don't make me destroy you

Yeah, to hell with a holding a trial, giving him representation, and allowing him to confront witnesses against him. Let's just hang him right now!

8. h4ppy

h4ppy You sir, pineapple?

The hanging can wait, but should still happen, same with the Isreali spy they just caught.

9. Bronx Warlord

Bronx Warlord Squad Leader

I'm all for a trial, lord knows we can fit him in between the scumbag circus at gitmo and the millions of murders we keep locked up now. I'm just hoping we enforce the penalty for treason, wich is and should be death in all cases. Mind you I have slightly strong feelings about this, serving this nation in the capacity I do.

10. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Goodness! A spy in the White House...That is a surprise.

;)

I can smell this guy is a scapegoat, a mile off.

11. farting bob

farting bob ThEy MaDe Me Do iT.

Yes, lets kill a man for stealing! He isnt even been accused of stealing stuff to risk american national security, and since the only way the white house could have gotten such classified information is via a spy, it would seem hypocritical to me to kill him for doing what they pay many other people to do for them.

12. PriestOfDiscord

PriestOfDiscord (Not MobBoss)

Espionage and Treason are both capital offenses, and both are crimes that don't get charged against someone unless they are sure they can nail whoever it is they're after. This guy is a dead man.

13. wit>trope

wit>trope Deity

There's another spy story right? Some Jewish Israeli spy or spies in the Pentagon or something. I don't get why Israel would spy on us? I guess Israel doesn't think America is much of a friend to Israel. I can understand the Philipines doing it, but Israel I don't get. I feel that if a country spies on America, that we should punish that country. It should cause a diplomatic incident. Maybe not war, but maybe like expelling all the diplomats from that country and denying visas to all people from that country for a period of time.

14. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Rest assured that China, Russia, France, the UK and basically all world powers have dozens of spies in the US (and vice-versa).
    Your plan is not very practical, with that in mind ;)

15. wit>trope

wit>trope Deity

I can understand Russia and France having spies since they are not America friendly countries, sadly. But if UK has spies working against US and they are discovered, then they should be promptly judged and executed by military tribunal and all UK diplomats should be expelled (since much spying happens under "diplomatic cover") and all visas from UK should be denied until UK makes amends.

My plan is certainly better than like doing NOTHING!

We should also in the future stipulate with all foreign diplomats (except for Holy See) that they are to waive permanently all diplomatic immunity when it comes to any findings of spying. So this way if a foreign diplomat spies they can't avoid prosecution. If prompt military tribunal execution is the policy, I'm sure spying would decrease.