Report button at top of post?

Vandlys

King
There were some truly horrible things posted on this forum today, and I had to scroll past pictures I'd rather not ever have seen, to report a post. I also reported the user that posted the stuff, but wouldn't it be handier if the report button were on top, to prevent having to scroll past offensive/criminal posts in threads to report them?

I know I might not be entirely rational atm because I'm still a bit thrown off, so forgive me if this doesn't make sense at all.

You would have to scroll past them anyway (how can you know if a post or image is offensive if you don't see it?).

We are truly sorry about this.
I don't think the location of the report button can be changed. The admins have just taken action to modify the permissions of new users, which should hopefully prevent any more of this spam.

We have also contacted the relevant authorities, but we don't think we are likely to hear back :/.

You would have to scroll past them anyway (how can you know if a post or image is offensive if you don't see it?).

Such is the indignity of being a reporter.

We're sort of in this together, you know!

I don't think the location of the report button can be changed. The admins have just taken action to modify the permissions of new users, which should hopefully prevent any more of this spam.

We have also contacted the relevant authorities, but we don't think we are likely to hear back :/.

Not to be cynical, but if we can't change the location of a button, what makes you think we can affect an arrest? You don't, apparently. But that's the nature of things.

Such is the indignity of being a reporter.

We're sort of in this together, you know!
I'm not defending offensive images, just explaining why it makes sense to have the report button at the bottom.

It's the timestamp that should be at the top, to help cut down on threads bumped after long periods of time and people replying to that post because they think it's a new thread.

Should doesn't really factor into it, does it?

Not to be cynical, but if we can't change the location of a button, what makes you think we can affect an arrest? You don't, apparently. But that's the nature of things.

The limitations here are slightly different, and no, I dont think we can affect that either.

Well, just so long as we're on the same page in this age of relativism. That's cage-worthy horsehocky from where I sit.

I'm not defending offensive images, just explaining why it makes sense to have the report button at the bottom.

It's the timestamp that should be at the top, to help cut down on threads bumped after long periods of time and people replying to that post because they think it's a new thread.

Thanks for weighing in, but you don't per se need to scroll past them anyway to know if a report is needed.

1) A title/poll/first sentence can be offensive enough that you don't need to scroll past pictures to know if the topic is worthy of reporting
2) If there are 20+ pictures and the top 1 is offensive, you don't need to scroll past the other 20+ to know you need to report the topic
3) Timestamp argument is entirely off-topic

If I could have chosen to see one picture of those posts from yesterday instead of multiple, I would do so immediately. Some of them are still burnt into my retina, and each one is too many.

Thank you. Let's hope it does : )

Thanks for weighing in, but you don't per se need to scroll past them anyway to know if a report is needed.

1) A title/poll/first sentence can be offensive enough that you don't need to scroll past pictures to know if the topic is worthy of reporting
2) If there are 20+ pictures and the top 1 is offensive, you don't need to scroll past the other 20+ to know you need to report the topic
3) Timestamp argument is entirely off-topic

If I could have chosen to see one picture of those posts from yesterday instead of multiple, I would do so immediately. Some of them are still burnt into my retina, and each one is too many.
While I did not see any of the images, I did get an email notification about one of the threads. The title was enough to make me realize something offensive had been posted, and that I should expect an error message.

However... I've been around long enough here to have seen my share of offensive images and posts, and that not all offensive content is preceded by an offensive thread title.

I was unaware that 20+ images could be posted in a single post.

Your condescending attitude is misplaced, unwarranted, and I do not need your permission to add my own observations and suggestions here.

While I did not see any of the images, I did get an email notification about one of the threads. The title was enough to make me realize something offensive had been posted, and that I should expect an error message.
I don't understand what you are trying to say with this. I don't follow the part about the "error message", care to elaborate? : )

However... I've been around long enough here to have seen my share of offensive images and posts, and that not all offensive content is preceded by an offensive thread title.

Exactly, not everything is preceded by a title, so it wouldn't work in every case. But you said "You would have to scroll past them anyway (how can you know if a post or image is offensive if you don't see it?)." and I offered an instance (which is a real-life example that just recently happened) to which your argument is invalid. That's all.

I was unaware that 20+ images could be posted in a single post.

I don't know if there were 20+ images, but in one thread in the Colosseum there were quite a lot. I scrolled past them very quick and exited before my internet could load any of them fully, so I didn't have time to count or see them (luckily).

Your condescending attitude is misplaced, unwarranted, and I do not need your permission to add my own observations and suggestions here.

Well, I'm sorry it came across as condescending, but I genuinely meant that. I was/am thankful for your contribution, because I feared this topic would just fade into obscurity when I first posted it. Sorry it didn't come across the way I meant it, and I wished we could have clarified it with nicer words beforehand : )

I don't understand what you are trying to say with this. I don't follow the part about the "error message", care to elaborate? : )
I'm not "trying" to say it. I am saying it. Moderator Action: No need to be so rude! I have my preferences set to email me when new threads are created in the forums I'm watching, new posts are made in threads I'm watching, and replies to any posts I make.

I check my email frequently, as I'm active on numerous sites every day; CFC is merely one of half a dozen.

I saw an email about a new thread mentioning hanging someone, and my Retired Moderator radar went off, telling me, 'This can't be good; it sounds like a spam thread or something that should be reported; hopefully someone already did and when I follow this link I will be greeted with an Error Message (that indicates that a problematic thread has been deleted and is no longer viewable by anyone who isn't active staff)."

As was indeed the case. I don't know what the thread contained, and from your description, it isn't anything I'd have wanted to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not "trying" to say it. I am saying it. I have my preferences set to email me when new threads are created in the forums I'm watching, new posts are made in threads I'm watching, and replies to any posts I make.

I check my email frequently, as I'm active on numerous sites every day; CFC is merely one of half a dozen.

I saw an email about a new thread mentioning hanging someone, and my Retired Moderator radar went off, telling me, 'This can't be good; it sounds like a spam thread or something that should be reported; hopefully someone already did and when I follow this link I will be greeted with an Error Message (that indicates that a problematic thread has been deleted and is no longer viewable by anyone who isn't active staff)."

As was indeed the case. I don't know what the thread contained, and from your description, it isn't anything I'd have wanted to see.

Ah okay, got it, thanks for elaborating : ) Happy you only got the error message then!

Top Bottom