[C3C] Report of Soren Johnson (lead designer Civ 3 and 4) about the AI

Civinator

Blue Lion
Supporter
In the Civ 6 forum the civer Bibor posted a very interesting report of Soren Johnson (lead designer of Civ 3 and 4) about the AI, especially in the Civ series. As I think this is very interesting for the players of Civ 3, I post it here, too.

In the Civ 6 forum the civer Bibor posted a very interesting report of Soren Johnson (lead designer of Civ 3 and 4) about the AI, especially in the Civ series. As I think this is very interesting for the players of Civ 3, I post it here, too.

Well, now I know what to do if the AI is about to assault me amphibiously!

It`s a shame they didn`t release the AI code for Civ3.

Soren's "Designer Notes" is also worth a look.

Also (O/T): Sulla's "10 Reasons Why Conquests Went Wrong."

Most of these complaints can be fixed by modding the game. Sulla would probably go apoplectic if he saw some of my modifications to Play the World and Conquests. I mod the game to make it enjoyable for me to play. One major thong is that I boost the resource yeilds of terrains and then boost the terraforming improvements like irrigation and mining, A fair number of my changes have proved to be two-edged swords when the AI uses them on me. Range and lethal bombardment are not that hard to adjust. Then I really do like to have Wonders, which do not go obsolete, and help every city, not just those on the same continent. Since I play on a lot of archipelago and continent maps, larger than the standard Huge Map, a Wonder might only help a couple of cities.

Last edited:
Most of these complaints can be fixed by modding the game. Sulla would probably go apoplectic if he saw some of my modifications to Play the World and Conquests. I mod the game to make it enjoyable for me to play. One major thong is that I boost the resource yeilds of terrains and then boost the terraforming improvements like irrigation and mining, A fair number of my changes have proved to be two-edged swords when the AI uses them on me. Range and lethal bombardment are not that hard to adjust. Then I really do like to have Wonders, which do not go obsolete, and help every city, not just those on the same continent. Since I play on a lot of archipelago and continent maps, larger than the standard Huge Map, a Wonder might only help a couple of cities.

@timerover51 amigo! I d/l-ed (& quite enjoy) your Naval Mod looooong ago. I've always agreed with you about the importance of coastal cities. If you've made any significant change in the last ... 3 years ( :confused: ) ... I'd greatly appreciate seeing it (if it's "not ready for prime time" I'll happily PM you my email address. Your ideas "alone," are intriguing.)

-:Dz

PS - In "Terra Fantasia" I've added the GW "Increases Food In Water" Bonus to Palaces, to make certain that the Good Folks in the capitals of Seafaring Civs always have enough food to grow.

;)

Soren was "parachuted in" midway through the development of Civ 3 ... Which I think clarifies many mysteries about the game ... :rolleyes:

@timerover51 amigo! I d/l-ed (& quite enjoy) your Naval Mod looooong ago. I've always agreed with you about the importance of coastal cities. If you've made any significant change in the last ... 3 years ( :confused: ) ... I'd greatly appreciate seeing it (if it's "not ready for prime time" I'll happily PM you my email address. Your ideas "alone," are intriguing.)

-:Dz

PS - In "Terra Fantasia" I've added the GW "Increases Food In Water" Bonus to Palaces, to make certain that the Good Folks in the capitals of Seafaring Civs always have enough food to grow.

;)

I have a couple of mods about ready for posting after a final run-through. One is based on my naval mod but updated, and one is based on TETurkhan's Test of time scenario. Actually, there are two mods for Test of Time, one being aimed at speeding up reseaching the technologies in the Industrial Age. Otherwise, that is a long slog. I also have modified the terrain in Test Of Time a bit, along with adding some more resources and resource locations. even with all of the changes, ir is still taking 24 hours or so playing time to win.

Last edited:
I have a couple of mods about ready for posting after a final run-through. One is based on my naval mod but updated, and one is based on TETurkhan's Test of time scenario. Actually, there are two mods for Test of Time, one bring aimed at speeding up reseaching the technologies in the Industrial Age. Otherwise, that is a long slog. I also have modified the terrain in Test Of Time a bit, along with adding some more resources and resource locations. even with all of the changes, ir is still taking 24 hours or so playing time to win.

(1) :clap:

(2) I don't think that "Test Of Time" is posted here any longer … ? (a.k.a. - :help: )

:D

I don't think that "Test Of Time" is posted here any longer … ? (a.k.a. - :help: )
:D

Ozy, several TETurkan Test of Time bix are included in every version of Civ 3 Complete. The problem is, as said in its introductory text, that this mod is heavily unbalanced.

Spoiler :
TETurkhan Test of Time.jpg

Ozy, several TETurkan Test of Time bix are included in every version of Civ 3 Complete. The problem is, as said in its introductory text, that this mod is heavily unbalanced.

I play it with start positions only, and not all of the civilizations. That cuts down on Europe being a mass of warring states. I also have modified the Dinos a bit. Well, maybe more than a bit. If you play with all of the cities, aside from running very slow, Europe is a nightmare, while the New World is pretty much wide open. And yes, China and India can run wild, whih I have slowed down quite a lot. Maybe I should post one of my versions, and show what I have done.

Last edited:
@Civinator & @timerover51 - Re: the bix and "caveat" re: "Test Of Time," I plainly misremembered someone "updating" it, and then knowing full well that timerover would have made significant improvements upon that.

-:crazyeye:z

@Civinator & @timerover51 - Re: the bix and "caveat" re: "Test Of Time," I plainly misremembered someone "updating" it, and then knowing full well that timerover would have made significant improvements upon that

-:crazyeye:z

Okay Oz and Civinator, here is my current version of Test of Time. As you can see, there are a "few" changes. Beware the Dinos!!!!! They are a lot more numerous, mobile, and deadly. Nothing like the local T-Rex stopping by for a quick snack. I have stacked the map to favor a few civilizations. Best to play Israel, England, the Vikings, or Spain. India and China tend to hve a very hard time with settlers getting eaten. As I have repeatedly said, I REALLY LIKE DINOS.

I will add a text discussion of this when finished. Note, I do have several versions of this with different changes. I have added a few resources as well.

Attachments

• ToT Dec21 Std Version Nukes.bix.zip
    119.9 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom