Reported Decapitation at Amusment Park

Zarn

Le Républicain Catholique
Linky

AUSTELL, Ga. - Cobb County police are investigating a death at Six Flags over Georgia in which a teen-age boy reportedly was decapitated, according to WXIA television in Atlanta.

Authorities told the NBC affiliate's Web site, 11Alive.com that around 2:30 p.m. that the boy was decapitated when he was struck by the Batman ride, a coaster at the amusement park that can travel as fast as 50 miles per hour. The park is just west of Atlanta.

According to a Six Flags representative, a group of young people jumped over a perimeter fence near the Batman ride as it was coming. The teen was then struck and killed.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

The Atlanta Journal Constitution reported on its Web site, ajc.com, that the teen's family was at the park with him when the accident occurred.

"We do not know why this person was intent on gaining access to this restricted area, as multiple signs clearly state: Danger Zone/Do Not Enter/Authorized Personnel Only," park spokeswoman Hela Sheth said in a statement reported by the Web site.

"Some witnesses have stated that the individual was trying to retrieve something he had lost," Sheth said. "Others reported that he was trying to touch the ride. This is merely speculation at this point, and we are working with park visitors and local police to learn more."

No one on the ride was injured, Sheth said in the statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the family," the Six Flags statement said. Cobb County police declined to confirm reports that the teen was decapitated, according to the newspaper Web site.

According to Six Flags' Web site, the coaster was first introduced in 1997 and is close to 11 stories tall. It includes two vertical loops, two corkscrews and a heartline spin that produces a "feeling of weightlessness."

This is a breaking news story and will be updated.

Stupidity reigns!

This should not cost the park, but I have the feeling it will.

One less dummy futzin' around taking up space in line at six flags.

How is that breaking news? Teenage guy decides to be an idiot and pays a permanent price. Sucks to be the family though, knowing that your son is an absolute moron.

Darwin wins again. So does the gene pool.

Darwin wins again. So does the gene pool.

Well thats a bit unfair, the parents didn't get themselves killed doing something stupid I'm sure the genes had nothing to do with it.

I love how there's a promotion for the ride in the news story.

That sucks. I don't know why every time someone does something stupid they immediately deserve to die. People on the internet act like they've never done anything dumb themselves and have always lived by the rules. Yeah, okay, have fun with that outlook.

In truth though, this is a example of why it's not wise to circumvent safety controls.

Well thats a bit unfair, the parents didn't get themselves killed doing something stupid I'm sure the genes had nothing to do with it.

You do not think genes have ANYTHING to do with it? I'm a big nurture OVER nature guy, but c'mon. If you can be taught to be that stupid, you started without much to work with.

Huge tonnages of objects flying past at fast speed within human height. "I'm gonna touch batman!"

We're lucky this moron didn't cause a multi-death car accident. There should be only 1 fence and a small sign so that we get rid of slightly stupider people too.

Good riddance.

<insert 'you fail' pict>

Maybe it was a mutated gene. :p

That sucks. I don't know why every time someone does something stupid they immediately deserve to die. People on the internet act like they've never done anything dumb themselves and have always lived by the rules. Yeah, okay, have fun with that outlook.
I'm not saying that doing something dumb means the person deserves to die. I'm saying I have no sympathy if they voluntarily do something dumb and die as a result of that stupid act.

Have I ever done stupid things? Of course. There isn't a human who ever lived, with the exception of babies and the severely handicapped, who never did something stupid.

I'm just coming from the point of view that I've never done stupid things that could get me killed.

At least this doesn't make me lose sleep like that girl who got her feet chopped off at Six Flags...

Also, apparently I'm only separated from that girl by one degree (or two, at most)...

IThat sucks. I don't know why every time someone does something stupid they immediately deserve to die. People on the internet act like they've never done anything dumb themselves and have always lived by the rules. Yeah, okay, have fun with that outlook.

But there is a difference between doing something dumb and doing something this dumb (ignoring safety barriers and warning signs to do something frivolous at the potential cost of your life). I know I won't do the latter :smug:

That kid, needless to say, is an idiot.

Do amusement parks need security cameras???

You all should search statistics for ride injuries and deaths throughout the world. I just want you to think about these things when you've finally reached the top of the coaster ride and are looking down.

I no longer go on rides. A few decades ago, I consider the most dangerous one I was ever on was the single Ferris wheel. My dad talked me into going on it -- hoping I'd chicken out at the last minute and go with him to the pony chuckwagon races. Since the pony chucks bore me to tears, I took the dare.

It was quite a view from the top, and I went on the Ferris wheel a few times since then, but in hindsight it was not really that smart. I don't know what kind of safety devices those things have nowadays, but back then it would have been fairly easy to fall out.

Yeah, justifications. Some kid dies accidentally and it's a joke. hahaha. I get it now.

This is going to have the same discussion as the 'girls sunbathe on railway tracks and get hit by a train' story.

If the area is clearly marked as the spokeswoman said then the park shouldn't be at fault. If you had lost something you would surely ask nearby personnel to retrieve it...

Must be terrible for the family though, going out to have fun in an amusement park which results in your son being decapitated. The other kids of the 'group' that jumped over must've been pretty freaked out when they realized what had happened.

Yeah, justifications. Some kid dies accidentally and it's a joke. hahaha. I get it now.

Uh, I never said it was a joke. But naturally my sympathies are not with him.

Top Bottom