Representation of the Subaltern [CANCELLED]

jooe

Warlord
[update 2023-04-19: This project has been cancelled for now.]

After the discussion in the thread Maroons [Suggestion] I have taken the responsibility to coordinate what I will call a "project": improving the representation and focusing on the perspective of those people who were harmed by colonization.
I will update this and the following posts continuosly collecting ideas, the suggestions for their actual implementation, estimates on the amount of work and the necessary to dos. Also I'll try to do some sorting, so things that are easier to do are on the beginning of the list while ideas which are difficult to implement (or which maybe will never be realised at all) are near the end of the list.
I have also classified tasks as modular if they can be done in small separate steps (e.g. changing a line of colopedia here now and there later, adding an event now and another later, etc.) or as monolithic if they require a greater amount of work to be done as a first step (eg. adding a complete feature in code + the necessary art) before it can be added to the main branch.

01) Adapting/Extending Colopedia texts - OPEN(modular) / SIMPLE (XML)
02) Adding self-contained (small) events - OPEN(modular) / SIMPLE (XML, Python, [C++?])
10) Revision of offensive terms - OPEN(modular) / MEDIUM (Discussion, then XML)
20) Adding a measure for the amount of oppression in the colonies ("oppressometer") - WIP (jooe)
30) Implementing more complicated AI logic for escaped forced laborers - OPEN(monolithic) / COMPLICATED (mostly C++)
40) Adding a (non-playable) "escaped forced laborers civ" - OPEN(monolithic) / VERY COMPLICATED (C++, Python, XML, Art)
50) Actually playable (+interesting) native civs - OPEN(monolithic) / EXTREMELY COMPLICATED (Gameplay design, C++, Python, XML, Art)

Last edited:
Subtasks and responsibilities / progress tracker
I'll add the tasks here when work on them can actually be started - as long as there is only a vague idea but no one actually able to implement it, it does not help to track progress ...

01) Adapting/Extending Colopedia texts - target: 4.x
(modular task: can be done in many separate steps)
01A) Finding texts we would like to improve/extend - OPEN
01B) historical research, discussion and decision on text - OPEN
01C) updating the XML files - OPEN
01D) translation to other languages - OPEN

02) Adding self-contained (small) events - target: 5.0 (probably not savegame compatible)
02A) Finding historical events/stories that could be designed into self-contained game events - OPEN (research)
02B) Describing the event logic (when? what? how? etc.) - OPEN (plaintext/pseudocode)
02C) Actual implementation - OPEN (XML, Python, [C++?])
02D) translation to other languages - OPEN

10) Revision of offensive terms - target: 4.x
10A) Locating offensive terms in game text - OPEN (XML reading)
10B) Discussion if/how to replace offensive terms - OPEN (discussion coordination)
10C) search & replace + check for legibility - OPEN (XML)
10D) translation to other languages - OPEN

20) Adding a measure for the amount of oppression in the colonies ("oppressometer") - target: 4.1
20A) Implementing the necessary variables+logic in CvCity and CvPlayer - WIP (jooe)
20B) Balancing - OPEN
20C) Using the oppressometer in events etc. - continuous task/OPEN

Last edited:
Remarks and comments:

01) Adapting/Extending Colopedia texts - target: 4.x

This is easy for anyone capable of reading through the XML files. You can just open them in any text editor you like. If you don't feel comfortable about editing and commiting the changes you suggest yourself, I am fine with doing the technical part of the work.
If you feel writing the text in English makes it harder for you, just start in the language you are comfortable with. We could then just look for someone to translate it (or to polish an automated translation).

02) Adding self-contained (small) events - target: 5.0 (?)
If you have an idea for an event but don't know how to code it, feel free to just write it down in plain text and/or pseudocode. You might want to use this structure to make the implementation easier.
- CONDITION: When will the event occur? Can it occur only once per game or multiple times?
- STORY: What text will be displayed?
- OPTIONS: Are there several possible outcomes to choose from?
- RESULTS: What will those outcomes be?
- ADDITIONAL: any comments, remarks, maybe flags to be set to later enable other events?
Please try to keep it simple and self-contained. For example, complex interactions between different players will probably require a lot of coding ...
open question: which events can be added without breaking savegame compatibility? Events that don't break it could be added also in .x releases.

10) Revision of offensive terms - target: 4.x
I classified this task as medium complexity because the definition of offensive will probably be highly variable in the community and I expect discussion to take place before any changes. Therefore it is not simple search & replace, but only after finding a common ground on the terms to be replaced and their replacements.

Last edited:
After the discussion in the thread Maroons [Suggestion] I have taken the responsibility to coordinate what I will call a "project": improving the representation and focusing on the perspective of those people who were harmed by colonization.
I will update this and the following posts continuosly collecting ideas, the suggestions for their actual implementation, estimates on the amount of work and the necessary to dos. Also I'll try to do some sorting, so things that are easier to do are on the beginning of the list while ideas which are difficult to implement (or which maybe will never be realised at all) are near the end of the list.
I have also classified tasks as modular if they can be done in small separate steps (e.g. changing a line of colopedia here now and there later, adding an event now and another later, etc.) or as monolithic if they require a greater amount of work to be done as a first step (eg. adding a complete feature in code + the necessary art) before it can be added to the main branch.

01) Adapting/Extending Colopedia texts - OPEN(modular) / SIMPLE (XML)
02) Adding self-contained (small) events - OPEN(modular) / SIMPLE (XML, Python, [C++?])
10) Revision of offensive terms - OPEN(modular) / MEDIUM (Discussion, then XML)
20) Implementing more complicated AI logic for escaped forced laborers - OPEN(monolithic) / COMPLICATED (mostly C++)
30) Adding a (non-playable) "escaped forced laborers civ" - OPEN(monolithic) / VERY COMPLICATED (C++, Python, XML, Art)
40) Actually playable (+interesting) native civs - OPEN(monolithic) / EXTREMELY COMPLICATED (Gameplay design, C++, Python, XML, Art)
I like your ideas but as you told yourself, it would be really complicated to integrate in WTP beyond civilopedia entries or specific events.

I'm assuming we can already do interesting stuffs with events. There are certainly ideas to increase the role of natives, maroons or even kings through events but they would require deep thinking with good triggers and effects.

I like your ideas but as you told yourself, it would be really complicated to integrate in WTP beyond civilopedia entries or specific events.

I'm assuming we can already do interesting stuffs with events. There are certainly ideas to increase the role of natives, maroons or even kings through events but they would require deep thinking with good triggers and effects.

I think if you know some good original sources etc. (ideally digitally available/open access), that would be a good starting point for what I'm planning to do.
(I can read English, Spanish and German quite well, French with a bit of difficulties and some translation help.)
The only source I have available at my place are the books of Eduardo Galeano who collected a whole volume of pre-colombian sources and also a few subaltern voices from colonial times. I'm planning to read through them again.

Collection of quotes (might be included for display on load):

The dry grass will set fire to the damp grass - African proverb brought to the Americas by slaves (quoted from: Eduardo Galeano, Memory of Fire Vol. I: Genesis)

I noticed this on a different discussion thread.

“Those production bonuses from the slave overseer are huge. It starts at 50%, which is already significant, but you can kill a couple of wild animals and promote him to 75%, which makes slaves outproduce even the experts of their profession in farms, plantations, and mines.”

It oversimplifies the game to make slavery an unbeatable option.

On the Caribbean sugar plantations slaves had a life expectancy of ten years. Would it be possible to have slaves continue to be cheap, but also to have an expiry date after which they die from abuse and overwork?

For example, if there's a 4% chance a new slave could die on each turn, by the time ten years pass half will need to be replaced. Others will escape. The slavery option becomes more expensive.

As for the overseer, he's invincible against a single slave but if a town has many slaves and they attack the overseer together, not caring whether they live or die, there's also a good chance the overseer might need to be replaced; and the new overseer will then need time to collect new promotions.

I don't know the coding needed to make these ideas happen. I mention them only because they feel immersive, and truer to history than faithful slaves working under an efficient overseer.

On the Caribbean sugar plantations slaves had a life expectancy of ten years. Would it be possible to have slaves continue to be cheap, but also to have an expiry date after which they die from abuse and overwork?
Extremely difficult to implement, very troublesome for AI and also most likely very frustrating for players - potentially even causing rage quitting in some situations.
Also that statistic of suvival rate of 10 years is only true for some professions and some colonies - slave workforce was expensive and not simply wasted.
Also slaves had children - which in most slave holding areas caused an increase of slaves and not a decline.

I would definitely veto this.

------------

Alternatively why not simply change the balancing then a bit?
Each Promotion Level could be just 20% (currently each is 25%).

Also the +75% is not better than the Expert, which has +100% in most cases.
(But ok the Slaves already in many Professions have a +1)

As I said, we can adjust the balancing a bit as suggested.
I can do it right away. :thumbsup:

The slave game mechanic in total is not as OP as some players claim.
(Since they e.g. have negative effects on Happiness, can revolt, can run away, require Slave Masters, Slave Overseers, ...)

------------

Edit:
I reduced the Promotion Modifiers of Slave Master / Slave Hunter from 25% each to 20%.
Everything else will in most cases give stupid fractions of Yields and not really work out nicely.

Last edited:
Just to check about the balance: wasn't it the case that the promotions of multiple units would stack to 100%? If so, placing two overseers in your town would still give the same effect.
I agree that it is quite powerful, perhaps the stacking effect would need to be limited to 60%. Together with the fixed bonus (i.e. the +2 for several goods) that is still a quite a lot.

Just to check about the balance: wasn't it the case that the promotions of multiple units would stack to 100%? If so, placing two overseers in your town would still give the same effect.
I agree that it is quite powerful, perhaps the stacking effect would need to be limited to 60%. Together with the fixed bonus (i.e. the +2 for several goods) that is still a quite a lot.
That is a tiny change in XML, but ok I can do that change and limit the max stacked bonus to 60% as default. :thumbsup:

Edit:
Done, see here:

--------

By the way:
We are spamming a feature concept and work thread of @jooe with balancing disussion that should better be done here:

Last edited:
The idea more in line with the overall intention of my project would be the opposite of where we are going now:
Make utilizing slavery very attractive in the economical sense. Well, that's what it is when you can just use the workforce of people without paying in any ways adequately for them and without even caring a bit about there individual wellbeing. The death of slaves was only of concern if the price for new slaves was greater than the productivity gained from a slave during his/her live expectancy.
To me, it is a sign of the brutality that essentially slavery calculates the human being simply as an economical asset to be exploited to the greatest benefit of the owner. Like one would try to get the most production out a machine before it breaks.

Picturing this in terms of gameplay might mean:
  • Lower the price of slaves even more and/or
  • Increase their productivity even more
while at the same time
  • Make the "human cost" somehow more visible
So it might be an idea to have a certain random chance of slaves dying as Kendon suggested (we might e.g. implement this internally as a simple recurring event with a certain probability). Even better if we could tie this in with the "oppressometer" I recently implemented as an abstract measure of how much oppression is happening in a colony. It e.g. increases more with slave masters - which is realistic IMHO as when slaves are pushed to work more, they will also suffer more.
We could also link this mechanic with the proposed new growth mechanics. Maybe increase the probability for colony growth with slaves (no access to contraceptive methods; rape; inverse correlation of economic status with number of children[1]) while at the same time have them sometimes die randomly.

On the other hand, I'd like to implement stronger slave revolts if the "oppressometer" rises to higher levels (still with a random factor of course). Several slaves revolting at the same time, maybe taking weapons with them, destroying or stealing something (similar mechanic to native raids), etc.

About this:
very frustrating for players - potentially even causing rage quitting in some situations.
I understand you are worried about player frustration. But I think we should consider "frustration" also as a factor in game balancing. Make the possible economic rewards high, but allow (maybe delayed) catastrophic results which make players angry. IMHO people becoming disturbed by the consequences of slavery might actually be a goal!

BTW catastrophic outcome are a part of game theory AFAIK. Don't tell me people stop playing games because they get frustrated sometimes. I've seen people destroy their keyboards because of being killed in FPS games... they did not stop playing though.

Ideally we would have different possible play styles: Play without exploiting slaves and see how your neighbours surpass you economically or follow the historical route by replaying the horrors of slavery but face the consequences and get to feel - at least a little bit - how bad that actually was.

[1] e.g. https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-020-8331-7

IMHO people becoming disturbed by the consequences of slavery might actually be a goal!
However people being frustrated and annoyed by our game design is NOT the goal. ;)

--------

Immersive Stories: Sure. :thumbsup:
Bad Game Design: Definitely NOT :nope:

As I said, deleting Units that a player has invested into after a certain number of turns as a base mechanic is a nogo for me.
(Even building something like that would cause massive issues for the balancing of all related features ... definitely no.)

But I am ok with e.g. a Pyhton Event here and there, telling an immersive story - that may potential delete a Unit still giving a player a chance to react.
(One Option might be to lose the Slave - but again, such an Python Event should be rare and not a base mechanic.)

-------

Sorry, but I am not willing to sacrifice gameplay in the name of immersion.
Stuff that randomly and repeatedly punishes the Player without giving him a chance to react is not ok.

-------

Let us please not fall into extremes. :thumbsup:
Story telling is great, but making a player hate a feature is bad game design.

Last edited:
On the other hand, I'd like to implement stronger slave revolts if the "oppressometer" rises to higher levels (still with a random factor of course).
As long as the player has means in gameplay to control and manage it in some way, I am open for discussion. :thumbsup:
But it should deliver interesting choices for gameplay - good and bad being balanced.

Let us please not create a feature that just intends to be punishing the player for using another feature successfully.
So if all the "Oppressometer" does is punishing the player for using the Slave strategy successfully, I would not like it.

If it on the other hand adds new gameplay for the player where he can make new strategic choices, it might be interesting.
But until now I simply do not know yet what you plan to do with "Oppressometer" ... :dunno:

It e.g. increases more with slave masters - which is realistic IMHO as when slaves
Might become interesting gameplay if further expanded - depends on the balancing of course. :think:
But it would need more than just "stop using slave masters" as possible choices / decisions for interesting gameplay.

------------

So please implement something different than just a ticking "Apocalypse Clock" that at some point explodes if the player does not stop using the Slavery feature ...
Because something like that would not be fun. It would just punish the player for using a feature that is otherwise relatively balanced and interesting for gameplay.

------------
But I think we should consider "frustration" also as a factor in game balancing.
No, I must disagree or at least correct a bit.

Challenge is good for gameplay - meaning player understands his (strategic / tactic) mistakes and can improve next time. --> It is "fair".
Frustration is extremely bad for gameplay - meaning player made the (strategically / tactically) correct decisions and still gets punished. --> It is "unfair".

Last edited:
I notice @jooe mentioned Eduardo Galeano so I've started reading Children of the Days. Galeano is entertaining but his politics seem a long way left of center. It may be different in Europe but in North America blaming our problems on bankers and industrialists is often code for antisemitism. It could be dangerous to follow Galeano too closely.

Some of the Indigenous translators who taught the priests local languages hid their personal copies of colonial documents in mission walls after they saw that bishops were ordering all Native writing destroyed. Those papers are now being rediscovered, and are a good source of contemporary Native attitudes..

@jooe had an earlier post about antisemitism, probably referring to key quote 10. Peter Stuyvesant says, “We pray that the deceitful race - such hateful enemies and blasphemers of the name of Christ - be not allowed to further infect and trouble this new colony.”

Jews are not the only group maligned in the various key quotes. Colonizers were equal opportunity offenders.

Peter Stuyvesant in particular was a bad person, as well as a bad leader. That doesn't mean his misinformation should be forgotten. We study history in order not to relive it. Writing in this mod is often ironic, not so often advice on how to behave.

Elton John said it well when he was asked to speak out against another singer whose lyrics included a homophobic remark. “I don't believe that's who he is, in the same way I don't think Johnny Cash actually shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.”

It takes a right wing and a left wing to fly, but ultimately the head in the center has to decide where to go. Imagine two slightly obsessive players trying to decide whether this is the game for them: a First Nations woman and a nerdy kid who happens to be Black. They don't want to be patronized and they want to have fun. Fortunately they both have a weird sense of humour.

As an event I could write a slave revolt, with the player losing either a lump sum or gold proportionate to the number of slaves, if @jooe is willing to code it along with the trigger which could use the oppressometer (which unfortunately sounds like something built by a mad scientist, but I digress). We don't want to be blatantly politically correct, but we also don't want to make a virtue of being politically incorrect.

<politics start="Don't read the following if you might get annoyed by - polite, I hope - political discussion!">
I notice @jooe mentioned Eduardo Galeano so I've started reading Children of the Days. Galeano is entertaining but his politics seem a long way left of center. It may be different in Europe but in North America blaming our problems on bankers and industrialists is often code for antisemitism. It could be dangerous to follow Galeano too closely.
Just a short comment on this: In Europe today I would agree that simplifying the criticism of economic systems to personal accusations against e.g. bankers is most often a sign of (badly) hidden antisemitism. And while that kind of antisemitism is present in splinter groups of the political left, nowadays this kind of wording is mostly coming from the populist right.
Regarding the Latin American left of the 1970s (the background of Galeano), I'd be a bit milder in my judgement. I'd say the experiences many people in Latin America in the 20th century made gives them a bit more justification for the kind of wording where I'd hope people are more sensitive today (but not all are, and there is also at least a blind spot regarding anti-semitism in the Latin American left IMHO).
As with all historical texts, I would suggest to read the books I mentioned with the necessary distance and be careful of all kinds of simplication. But still I consider Galeanos collection of south american historical sources as brilliant. I just wanted to say, I see your point and agree ... partly ;)
Some of the Indigenous translators who taught the priests local languages hid their personal copies of colonial documents in mission walls after they saw that bishops were ordering all Native writing destroyed. Those papers are now being rediscovered, and are a good source of contemporary Native attitudes..

@jooe had an earlier post about antisemitism, probably referring to key quote 10. Peter Stuyvesant says, “We pray that the deceitful race - such hateful enemies and blasphemers of the name of Christ - be not allowed to further infect and trouble this new colony.”

Jews are not the only group maligned in the various key quotes. Colonizers were equal opportunity offenders.

Peter Stuyvesant in particular was a bad person, as well as a bad leader. That doesn't mean his misinformation should be forgotten. We study history in order not to relive it. Writing in this mod is often ironic, not so often advice on how to behave.
What worries me is that not everyone will recognize the "irony" in quoting people like Stuyvesant. I do, and I to me this kind of quotes - just like some others - show how bad things (and people) really were. But does everyone?
And does everyone realise that this is what we want to show? Or will someone actually think we are anti-semites and quote Stuyvesant because we think it was cool how he said things we would dare to say ourselves? That is what my point about "offensive terms" is about. Making our position clear on opinions like this. We quote it, but we don't agree with it. Not at all. Quite the opposite! The discussion could be about how to make that clear.
Elton John said it well when he was asked to speak out against another singer whose lyrics included a homophobic remark. “I don't believe that's who he is, in the same way I don't think Johnny Cash actually shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.”

It takes a right wing and a left wing to fly, but ultimately the head in the center has to decide where to go. Imagine two slightly obsessive players trying to decide whether this is the game for them: a First Nations woman and a nerdy kid who happens to be Black. They don't want to be patronized and they want to have fun. Fortunately they both have a weird sense of humour.
If they both have a weird sense of humour, everything is fine. They might also just play the game because of its strategic depth and ignore the historical references. I mean, I can play a game like Hearts of Iron, I can even play the Germans in that game, because I know it is just a computer game, I can dissociate the political and historical context and I am just interested in the strategy stuff. But not everyone is able to draw these clear lines, look at the forums of this kind of games ...
But I didn't reply because I wanted to continue the political discussion. This is probably not the right place, although I'd be fine if you want to continue in PMs, @Kendon. So:

</politics end="Back to the game!">
As an event I could write a slave revolt, with the player losing either a lump sum or gold proportionate to the number of slaves, if @jooe is willing to code it along with the trigger which could use the oppressometer (which unfortunately sounds like something built by a mad scientist, but I digress). We don't want to be blatantly politically correct, but we also don't want to make a virtue of being politically incorrect.
Huh, yeah, the mad scientist, that is a good description I think. When I coded that, it was just numbers - and I like numbers :)
(Please note that this term is just an internal description. I don't plan to make this thing directly visible to players. It is something that should influence probabilities.

An event where you simply lose some money would be a start, but I am actually thinking of more complex and interesting events like:
1) at low "oppressometer" levels: single slave escaping and running away
2) at medium levels: 2 or more slaves escaping and taking supplies with them (e.g. food, tools, etc.)
3) at higher levels: several slaves escaping, taking arms with them (turning them into stronger military professions like the armed escaped slave we already have) and then staging a synchronized attack like natives sometimes do. E.g. 4 units attacking on the same turn. When they attack successfully and there are still slaves in the city, they have a chance of freeing them as well.
If we manage to implement a "maroon" civ one day, they could also group together and form settlements and increase their strength before they attack. They could then choose a target city for an attack where the oppressometer is particularily high etc.
4) maybe the freed slaves could even send an ultimatum (= delayed event with a task to fulfil): If you manage to bring the oppressometer down to a certain value (we need to find a wording for this that hides the internal stuff), they will leave you in peace, or even join you as freed slaves, or give you another reward. If you don't, they gather additional support and incite unrest.

I know I am digressing quite far into "ideas" where I must admit to have no realistic timeframe for an implementation at the moment. But I wanted to give you an idea of what I would consider immersive stories for my project.
Just like @raystuttgart often says when asked about his concept, I want to ask you here to wait until I have created something and then judge when you can see the result.

Some additional remarks to your comment @raystuttgart :
As long as the player has means in gameplay to control and manage it in some way, I am open for discussion. :thumbsup:
But it should deliver interesting choices for gameplay - good and bad being balanced.

Let us please not create a feature that just intends to be punishing the player for using another feature successfully.
So if all the "Oppressometer" does is punishing the player for using the Slave strategy successfully, I would not like it.

If it on the other hand adds new gameplay for the player where he can make new strategic choices, it might be interesting.
But until now I simply do not know yet what you plan to do with "Oppressometer" ... :dunno:
I have now given some ideas I had in mind when I created the "oppressometer" as a framework. Unfortunately I'm not as fast as you with new features, and I don't want to make any promises. But the first step is made.

Might become interesting gameplay if further expanded - depends on the balancing of course. :think:
But it would need more than just "stop using slave masters" as possible choices / decisions for interesting gameplay.

------------

So please implement something different than just a ticking "Apocalypse Clock" that at some point explodes if the player does not stop using the Slavery feature ...
Because something like that would not be fun. It would just punish the player for using a feature that is otherwise relatively balanced and interesting for gameplay.

------------

No, I must disagree or at least correct a bit.

Challenge is good for gameplay - meaning player understands his (strategic / tactic) mistakes and can improve next time. --> It is "fair".
Frustration is extremely bad for gameplay - meaning player made the (strategically / tactically) correct decisions and still gets punished. --> It is "unfair".
Not simple punishment, rather the typical choice of economics: Make a big profit with big risks (=brutally exploit slaves and risk them fight you), or be careful and have lower profits (=simply play without slaves and slave masters). After all, Civ4Col/WTP is mostly an economic simulation (at least for me).
We already have many examples of this kind of choices already in the game, e.g.:
- Do we expand slowly and try to appease the natives in between? Or do we expand rapidly into native territories and risk their anger? They might even declare war early when they are still strong and before we have an army to defend, so they raze our colonies. (that is a kind of "doomsday clock mechanism" already, and I like it!)
- Do we really want to go on with our war on the natives when another colonial player starts backing them? They will get a huge stack of strong units and surely kill many of ours we have invested into! (AFAIK that is a feature you implemented, ray - and I like it!)
- A declaration of war from another colonial player can be extremely dangerous if they catch us at a time when we are weakened from another war or have our armies elsewhere. Their doomstacks can be frustrating sometimes, especially at higher difficulties. But would you say, oh, rival AI players can be frustrating if they declare war, let's disable that feature and let them be easy prey for the player? I doubt that.

So trust me, the extensions I'd like to make to gameplay would be similar to those which are already in the game. And like those, they would of course depend heavily on difficulty settings. A slave revolt on "explorer" difficulty will probably always be a minor inconvenience, because I think people who play that difficulty are either afraid of challenge or simply want to focus on the economic buildup. I won't scare them away.
But for those who play on "revolutionary" difficulty, a slave revolt might be challenging or even disastrous, just like a war declaration from another colonial player or a strong native player. And if you cannot lose a game on highest difficulty, than we need a higher difficulty setting I think.

BTW I think there are many different kinds of gamers: Some actually like when they are defeated/punished sometimes. Did you play Rimworld? The marketing actually focuses on the fact that the game will try to make it harder and harder for you. To me, it often felt terribly unfair! And even on lower difficulty levels I often decided to reload when an enemy attack killed my favorite colonists, because I couldn't take the hit ... but there seem to be people who just play until all of their colonists are dead and then happily start a new game ...

One last remark to everyone who reads this: Originally I did not want to write too much about my ideas before having an implementation because I fear to promise features I cannot deliver because of lacking time or skill. But now there has been so much discussion that I decided to give at least a few examples. There are no promises. Please don't blame me if they never get implemented!

(Sorry for the long post. I'm working the night shift and fortunately all my patients are happily asleep, so I have nothing else to do. Lucky me - but bad luck for you having to read all that text ;)

I know I am digressing quite far into "ideas" where I must admit to have no realistic timeframe for an implementation at the moment. But I wanted to give you an idea of what I would consider immersive stories for my project.
Just like @raystuttgart often says when asked about his concept, I want to ask you here to wait until I have created something and then judge when you can see the result.
;)
Overwhelming, but I admire your enthusiasm.
Right now I think we have fresher fish to fry. Let's get this current release as good as we can make it. If that can get done I think your new ideas are more likely to find a welcome.

Well, we have a few interesting things in the pipeline for 4.1 already, far more advanced than the "ideas" stage of the stuff here :)

Top Bottom