Republic Government should have states...

MusicLaunch

Emperor of Arabia
in the game, it says that the republic has anotmus states...

why say it in the civilopedia and not in the game?

---------------

ps: i forgot to add a vote poll thing...
if you wantta vote, PLEASE say yes/no and a reason

I have long been in favor of a governemnt form that gives higher autonomy to provinces (which you would have to define and then build an extra 'governours mansion' as Palace for). This could be a way to reduce corruption, but would also interfere with warmongering (maybe a difference in war weariness, the attacked province has none but the other end of the empire couldn't care less for the war....... Kind of like Alaskians say 'Why the hell should I care if Florida is attacked?'...)

AYE! Having more autonomy for regions sounds like a fine plan, though you'd need a method to assign different cities to different regions. Otoh, it could simply work as a sphere of influence based on distance from the 2nd palace or regional capital.

Originally posted by Mercade
AYE! Having more autonomy for regions sounds like a fine plan, though you'd need a method to assign different cities to different regions. Otoh, it could simply work as a sphere of influence based on distance from the 2nd palace or regional capital.

I really like the autonomy idea, i would 1000000000% want it, you could right click on a city and select say, add to region then it would let you chose between any regions its bordering and when you slect its cultural border would be added to the region. I LOVE THIS IDEA, SOMEONE MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Also raises the possibility of a civil war in times of crisis. Secessionist sates are a bit more of an issue to deal with than a little bit of black smoke rising into the air and hordes of Groucho Marx impersonators going to the rescue.

it sounds good to me too but, can this be done by a mod?
I wish it could

Like Killer said this could be a great idea. Unfortunately I can't see this being achievable in a mod. Maybe in Civ4?

:rolleyes: i wonder.... does firaxis ever look at these forums?

i mean, there are tones of ideas like this, but firaxis may NEVER know that us, players, want them...

:o ooooo well...

Civilization already provides "regional" level administration: City governors.

And if you spread cities out far enough in the early days, you do get what look like seperate states.

I don't see where the idea of making it any more defined than that plays...

but they don't even have like little people guarding the borders...

not even realticat

what is realticat?

Oh, I thought it was some kind of political party...

I think an actual ability to create different states would be cool, but I agree with the Sultan in the playability question... I mean, the idea of independent statehood is more or less canceled automatically if it is run by only ONE individual (ie the player). To make it truely indedendent, you'ld have to hand the reins over to the AI! :eek:

Something Ive always wondered is what is the difference between a Republic and a Democracy? In real life I mean. One could say that in a Republic not everyone could vote, but no one had the Universal Suffrage for a while...

I kind of like Brrrrrets (how many r's are there?) idea of the civil wars. I think that if there are enough disorders, you should be facing organized resistence, not just riots.

Originally posted by Silverflame
Something Ive always wondered is what is the difference between a Republic and a Democracy? In real life I mean.

A republic is run by republicans.
A democracy is run by democrats.

Or it might be cool if you could make a rival civ a "state." Say you conquer every one of their cities, and install governers each time (no razing and no abandoning), then as an option to "You have just destroyed the Germans," you can choose to make them a "State." Their cultural color returns to it's original shape on the map prior to the very last war you were in together, but now Bismark has to give you, say, 50% of his food, production, and free access to all his resources. This "state" would then be out of your hands, and back in Bismark's...ie the AI (or another player in MP?). Civil War could certainly be a problem there.

If you are not in the habit of cheating in solitaire :) you could simply simulate autonomy: whenever you switch to republic/democracy turn on all the city governor options with neutral weightings. The AI governor will make dumb choices, but that's as it should be. Just take a look at what kind of legislation the congress/parliament can come up with and you can't but admire how realistic the AI will be in this...

(Real world: republic and democracy are things of different classes. An example of usage in a sentence: "Western democracies are almost all either republics or monarchies." Democratic simply means that the governed have a say in the governing. A republic is one way to implement this.)

Originally posted by Pembroke
Just take a look at what kind of legislation the congress/parliament can come up with and you can't but admire how realistic the AI will be in this...

:lol: Too true... and for that added touch of realism, make sure you put your workers on automated!

LOL... the real difference between Republic and Democracy is that Republic is a form of Democracy. Republic is another word for "representative Democracy", and Democracy encompasses all types, including direct. As far as Civilization goes, the difference seems to be between early democracies (which they call "Republics") and American democracy.

Top Bottom