1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Republic vs. Monarchy

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Eukaryote, Oct 14, 2005.

?

Which do you like better?

1. Republic

96 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. Monarchy

39 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. Eukaryote

Eukaryote Deity

Which do you like better?

In case you've forgotton (highly unlikley) here are the diffrences.
    Advantages of Republic: Commerce bonus, lower C&W.
    Advantages of Monarcy: No War Weriness, You get some unit support, Military Police limit of 3.

2. Own

Own Grasshoppah

Republic definately. Much more commerce, can support more units in the long run, and easier to get to. Monarchy is better in some uncommon situations.

3. garric

garric Emperor

Monarchy is pretty much worthless. Only the AI and some newer players ever use it. The only "good" choices are Communism and Republic, since they are a good ballance.

4. Marsden

Marsden Keeper of the HoF Annex Hall of Fame Staff

Overall, Republic is the best. When your going to be in a long always war on higher difficulties Monarchy could be helpful, but that's not necessarily a common situation.

5. Nailo

Nailo Warlord

Republic all the way.

6. Conroe

Conroe √∞

I switch to Republic and stay there the rest of the game. On rare occassion, I have switched to Democracy after building the Universal Suffrage. But, most of the time I don't bother and just stay at Republic.

7. mastertyguy

mastertyguy I'm tired!

8. Dominus Romae

Dominus Romae Warlord

Well, since Civ2 monarchy has lost it's value. In Civ2, Republic was almost worthless except if you were sure there would be no wars. And unit support for Monarchy was far better, but in Civ3, Monarchy just sucks. Low income, low commerce. Now I can switch to Republic directly and build a large army. I guess that in Civ4 they will try to increase the importance of Monarchy, as there were many kingdoms in history. But Republics? Besides Rome and Greece, most of the modern republics are young. And there are more Democracies than Republics, considering that Republic gives suffrage and political rights only to a minority.

9. Heroes

Heroes Heroes of Might and Magic

Feudalism is actually competitve with republic, because of its very high unit support and not being an optional tech. Monarchy can do anything ok, but not great, which makes it less useful in most cases. Except AW, where monarchy is the only option.

10. BlueStar

BlueStar Chieftain

Well-I guess I should try republic more often-I always seem to wind up fighting so much I go for monarchy-when I try and play a building game after a while I want to fight-I'm experimenting with a game now where I lowered the corruption level on for monarchy to try and have the best of both worlds-to early to see if it will work-

11. Nuggetman

Nuggetman Chieftain

Monachy is way better.You don't have to pay for your army.
    I think you're all crazy:crazyeye:

You do know you're all idiots, don't you?:( Don't you?

12. Heroes

You don't have to pay for ur army under monarchy? That simply means ur army is not big enough. :lol:
    If you find you are on the edge of paying for army under feudalism, then you are a ok warmonger.

13. Twonky

Twonky King

Republic.
    The fact that it´s an optional tech is made up by its trade value imo.

14. Heroes

If you are not the last one to know republic, that usually means your difficulty level is not high enough ... :D

15. Dominus Romae

Dominus Romae Warlord

I only used Monarchy on a Random Map game, and that was my first C3C game. I was a newbie, and I still planned my strategies based on the Civ2 structure more than Civ3 one. Yes, I was left behind in the tech tree, yes, I was losing money, and yes, I was losing wars, even the game being a Chieftain level with me as the hittites ;(. So, after reading some strategy guides on the web and finding this site, I decided that I would use Republic.

Now I am more succesful and I could advance to higher levels. I am currently at Regent, perhaps going to Monarch in a month or two (I won't buy Civ4 now).

16. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

Republic all the way. Then switch to Democracy for a nice corruption drop.:)

17. Own

Own Grasshoppah

With roads and marketplaces, republic can support more units than monarchy can.

18. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

At the moment, I play almost always in Monarchy.

Question: I'm a warmonger who is most of the time at war with someone (I don't like long wars, I just declare, capture, make peace, 10 turns of recovery, then start again). Playing in Monarchy means that I don't have disorder in my cities. When I tried to switch to Republic I had disorder in 90% of the cities during war. So, most of the time I had no production. I simply can't understand how I can play under Republic. That's why I always choose Monarchy. If someone knows me how I can be a warmonger under Republic, please, please tell me.

19. Heroes

Democrazy is almost never useful. It has a little bit less corruption, but is it worth another anarchy? Only in one situation demo could be considered: you have way too many units under republic, so you would like to pay 1 gpt for all of them, rather than pay 2 gpt for those outside your support limit; and, of course, you are religious.

20. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Definitely Republic except for the rare times I play an Always War game.