Republic

Siaphi94

Uber king
when im in ancient times and middle ages, i use monarchy as my government.
is republic better? the thing is, the units cost 2 gold for every unit that isnt supported. do you need alot of cities for republic? and can you stil have alot of units? i realize it makes less waste than monarchy but i thought the units would cost too much money.

If you want a huge army, then monarchy is probably better. Republic is usually the choice, though, cause you usually don't need *that* huge an army...and every citizen pays for another unit on average, at least until they get completely corrupt.

when im in ancient times and middle ages, i use monarchy as my government.
is republic better? the thing is, the units cost 2 gold for every unit that isnt supported. do you need alot of cities for republic? and can you stil have alot of units? i realize it makes less waste than monarchy but i thought the units would cost too much money.

Look at it this way:
the bonus of monarchy is 4 free units per city and 2 free units per town

the bonus of republic is 3 free units per city plus 12 bonus commerce, and 1 free unit per town plus 6 bonus commerce.

if you set the science slider at 50% your science under republic is as high as 100% under monarchy.

You could use the 12 commerce to pay for 6 units. So with the same research rate, under republic a size 12 city could support 3+6=9 units. The same city can only support 4 under monarchy.
With a market, the city can even support 3+((1.5*12)/2)=12 units.

But you do not need that many units usually, so what is left of the commerce bonus could instead be put in science.
The bonus of monarchy can only be used for unit upkeep, if you have less than 4 units per city, the bonus will be wasted.

MAS, while the general thrust of your analysis is spot-on-the-money, you are exaggerating about the free unit support in Republic. It is .5 units per town and 1.5 per city. Also, some of the additional commerce will be corrupted. It's not always 6 or 12 either because the city may not be at maximum size.

However, despite all this, it remains true that Republic it still able to support a larger army than Monarchy. Especially since MPs are simply wasted support and wasted shields.

MAS, while the general thrust of your analysis is spot-on-the-money, you are exaggerating about the free unit support in Republic. It is .5 units per town and 1.5 per city.

Are you absolutely certain about this? I'm pretty sure the civilopedia states that towns support 1 unit, cities 3 and metros 4 in C3C Republic. :confused:

The maintenance of each unit costs two gold, so one support pays for a half a unit.

Maint is charged only on the units in excess of the base support. Although this would never actually occur, if you had only 1 town and one unit, your support cost would be zero...1 town and two units, support cost would be 2 gold for that 2nd unit.

More realistic would be 10 cities (3 base support each) with 30 units and zero unit support. The same 10 cities with 31 units would cost 2 gpt for that 31st unit only.

I'm pretty sure Republic works that way, unless I've been confused all along. :)

The maintenance of each unit costs two gold, so one support pays for a half a unit.
:confused:

The unit support is the number of units that do not have to be paid for. The cost of any additional units is immaterial. Each city supports 3 units and each town supports 1 unit in Republic.

A 3 city-5 town Republic can have up to 14 units without cost; not 7 units. Each unit above the 14 will cost 2gpt.

Edit: crosspost with Harriet. I'm 100% sure that we are right BTW!

I just opened a game to check. I had 26 units, ten towns and support costs of 32 gold.

(26 - 10) * 2 = 32

So you guys are indeed right. :blush:

units, of course, include workers.

under republic, I have noticed that, on average, the core of your civ will make about 2.2-2.5 commerce per citizen, assuming you road everything and make sure you work high commerce tiles like rivers, coast and sugar/tobacco/horses/luxes, which means that as your core cities grow, each citizen can support another unit. This is one of the reasons why republic is better than monarchy - you have more flexibility. Want to war? set your sliders so you make a lot of tax and build a big army, plus you can cash rush, so you can build units without destroying your ability to build more later. Want to research heavily? You can make a smaller army.

with monarchy, you can have a larger army, but you don't really have the option to make a smaller army and and research faster...

I used to think Republic sucked but now I think it's pretty good. I am still trying Republic, but have switched to monarchy before a war started. But I think Republic is better if there is no current war happening. Although in C3C it is easier to manage Republic due to the unit support. The extra commerce is also a good help for faster scientific research and more gpt (Gold Per Turn).

I am still trying Republic, but have switched to monarchy before a war started. But I think Republic is better if there is no current war happening.

Unless you are playing as a Religious civ, you shouldn't be switching governments more than once per game. You just lose too much gold and production during the anarchy.

Unless you are playing as a Religious civ, you shouldn't be switching governments more than once per game. You just lose too much gold and production during the anarchy.

True, if spoken to someone else. But this is Aceman, know for his 'colorful' wartime strategies...as witnessed by his current warlord game:)

i always thought communism was good in the industrial ages. i noticed it had much less waste than monarchy but i dont think i made as mcuh commerence... but you could support a huge army

True, if spoken to someone else. But this is Aceman, know for his 'colorful' wartime strategies...as witnessed by his current warlord game:)

:lol:

I am playing as a religous civ - the Iroqoius. I don't know if they are a religous civ in C3C but they are in plain old vanilla :). Which was the only reason why i switched back.

Iroquois are commercial and agricultural.

Top Bottom