Republican Congressman says he can barely feed his family with $400K extra

That poor poor multimillionaire! This man is barely keeping his family hungry on $200k a year and you all mock him! Do you know what lows you have to go to with $200k a year gets you in food? Kobi beef in a rich burgundy wine truffle sauce with a side of the finest Black Sea caviar mixed in with genuine gold flakes to be swilled down by wine imported by Italy! ITALY, FOR GODS SAKE, PEOPLE! He can't afford the 300 year old variety from Bordeoux! And on top of that, he has to house his family of 4 adult children with jobs of their own in a slightly smaller mansion than the Playboy Mansion! If anything, this man needs more tax breaks paid through taxing us up to 80%!

Seriously these people had 8 years of low rich taxes to make the jobs and look where we are now; the worst economic recession possibly second only to the Great Depression. I'm beginning to wonder if my theory about rich tax cuts creating lazy rich people has some merit and not the deranged ramblings of someone who hasn't had 8 hours sleep in months.

Seriously these people had 8 years of low rich taxes to make the jobs and look where we are now; the worst economic recession possibly second only to the Great Depression. I'm beginning to wonder if my theory about rich tax cuts creating lazy rich people has some merit and not the deranged ramblings of someone who hasn't had 8 hours sleep in months.

it's a great theory, but I urge you to get some sleep as sleep deprivation is bad for your health

/dad mode OFF

...wow. Unbelievable.

I'd support a flat tax in principle but talking about 400K like it's a paltry sum is absurd. Maybe if you're eating 1,000 dollar a plate dinners every night but that's insane.

Even if half is taken in taxes, it'd still be 200K. You can EASILY get by on that and have room for luxuries. Or is his family an entire third world country?

Oh, and since I said I support a flat tax, that means his taxes should be raised. The rich, once deductions are taken out, can very easily pay far less as a percentage than the poor.

A few of you are missing the point. This guy has 400,000 AFTER feeding his family, paying employees, etc. and he thinks that since that is such a paltry sum, taxing him would be oppressive.

Feeding his family doesn't come out of the same expense list as paying his employees. The 400k is take home pay, which is completely separate from the millions his business grosses. It's important to remember that when Republicans talk about how higher income taxes will hurt small businesses, they are being intellectually dishonest. They are playing on the assumption that you'd think the, say $750,000 some small business proprietor grosses would get taxed higher if income taxes were raised, when the government and the tax code is smart enough to differentiate between what's business income and what's personal income.

If a small business owner is taking home enough pay to be in the top 1% or whatever, that's all the money left over that isn't part of his business. And that person's making a lot of money, so he or she can afford it.

Statistically speaking wealthy business owners pay less in taxes % speaking than someone who makes $50k a year due to all the loopholes

Your rage is unwarranted to say the least

This is a false statement. There are exceptions to the rule, but the rule is wealthy people pay a larger % of their income in taxes in the USA.

BTW, it's kind of tiring that everytime someone somewhere who happens to be rich and/or from the right says something dumb we get a thread filled with resented people and rants along the line of "OMG OMG DEM LAZY RICH PEOPLE ARE EEEEEVIL!"

What would happen if we started a thread everytime someone poor and/or from the political left said something stupid? Really, what is the point of this thread? What is being discussed?

From the information in the OP , his sole crime is saying something pretty lame . Who here isn't ?

But he is a rich republican, so all of us must show how progressive and enlightened we are by insulting him, rich people and republicans.

Really, what is the point of this thread? What is being discussed?

This is what interest me: The dude says "its all about creating a jobs". And he seems to be saying that more many he is left with after paying taxes and "feeding" his family more jobs he can create. But unfortunately I dont think him to be honest man since clearly its the money and not the new jobs which come first on this mans mind.

Not the last 3 years. The last 10. There has been essentially no private sector job creation in the US since the first Bush "tax cut".

Unemployment went down from over 6% in 2003 to just above 4% in 2007. We can debate how big of an effect the tax cuts had, but clearly there was considerable job creation in the period. The jobs were lost in the last 3 years, and things got much worse than even 2003, but that doesn't mean the last 10 years saw no shifts in employment.

Really, what is the point of this thread? What is being discussed?

This guy's quote pretty illustrates very clearly how far divorced the Republican party is from any economic reality. Politically it was very convenient of him to sum it up this foolishly.

This is what interest me: The dude says "its all about creating a jobs". And he seems to be saying that more many he is left with after paying taxes and "feeding" his family more jobs he can create. But unfortunately I dont think him to be honest man since clearly its the money and not the new jobs which come first on this mans mind.

I am sure he is honestly convinced that low taxes generate jobs. Of course as a businessman he is more concerned with his money, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about jobs either. And lets not forget that his business do create jobs.

His only fault was saying a really dumb statement about "feeding his family", which gave resented folks a reason to demand his blood. His overal point is a valid opinion. 400K a year in actual take home income does not make him some sort of corporate overlord unaffected by taxation.

This guy's quote pretty illustrates very clearly how far divorced the Republican party is from any economic reality. Politically it was very convenient of him to sum it up this foolishly.

So his dumb statement demonstrates that the whole Republican Party thinks 400K is barely enough to feed one's family?

So his statement demonstrates that the whole Republican Party thinks 400K is barely enough to feed one's family?

Yes. That's clearly what I meant. I am clearly meaning it that directly, as is everyone else. There's no reason to think I was talking about how his quote leads to a broader point about the Republican belief toward a gut reaction that the world exists to serve the rich and powerful.

And yes, 400k is not enough to be some kind of corporate overlord, but it is definitely enough that to be *well* past non-discretionary expenses, even in a well off community.

Yes. That's clearly what I meant. I am clearly meaning it that directly, as is everyone else. There's no reason to think I was talking about how his quote leads to a broader point about the Republican belief toward a gut reaction that the world exists to serve the rich and powerful.

And yes, 400k is not enough to be some kind of corporate overlord, but it is definitely enough that to be *well* past non-discretionary expenses, even in a well off community.

Nobody is debating that it was a stupid thing to say. He doesn't seem like a well articuled guy at all (or a very thoughtful person for that matter). But that's all there is to it.

I don't see how the statement of this obscure representative from Louisiana can be used to draw conclusions about the Republican Party as a whole.

It doesn't. It illustrates already drawn conclusions.

I am sure he is honestly convinced that low taxes generate jobs. Of course as a businessman he is more concerned with his money, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about jobs either. And lets not forget that his business do create jobs.

His only fault was saying a really dumb statement about "feeding his family", which gave resented folks a reason to demand his blood. His overal point is a valid opinion. 400K a year in actual take home income does not make him some sort of corporate overlord unaffected by taxation.

Yeah correct. After all consuming luxury items also gives jobs to those who produce them and you have to keep certain standard which comes with your class.
The question stays if the higher taxes for those in relatively secure positions, especialy when public and national debt problems soars pretty high, could be the way(even perhaps temporary) to go.

Top Bottom